PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live One Care

spec24
05-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Just a heads up - I installed this pos on both my computers. Instantly EVERYTHING came to a crawl. Lightwave would take more than 30 seconds to start up and Sasquatch worked so funkily it was unuseable. Fprime was doing weird things too. Uninstalled it and everything was good (on both computers). So - whether or not it's just me I thought you guys would like the heads up in case you thought about installing it and wanted to avoid the headaches - or so you'd know what you're problems might be causwed by in case you did install.

Lude
05-29-2006, 02:28 AM
"Lightwave would take more than 30 seconds to start up" I have the same start-up problem but haven't noticed anything else yet. But I'm just going to grin and bear it to make sure my pc is in good order.

Do the windows automatic updates restart a pc even if its rendering?

ercaxus
05-29-2006, 11:16 AM
But I'm just going to grin and bear it to make sure my pc is in good order.
This might not be the case since MS made it :) Unless you're a total beginner and want to stay that way, you can find other ways of keeping your pc in good order.
There are free programs that will help you keep your pc up and running for a long time. Just look around a little bit.

swmanning
05-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I found that if I start the HUB first, Lightwave and Modeler start up normally with OneCare running.

It appears to be an issue with the new firewall and the Hub.

Scott Manning

Lude
05-30-2006, 02:39 AM
na I'm not a total beginner and Iím sure there's load of cool stuff out there but I simply cant be arsed looking as Iím to dam busy ;D

swmanning - that seams to work fine :thumbsup:

spec24
05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Windows Live One Care was causing everything (not just Lightwave) on my computer to run horribly. My laptop it made unuseable. And yes - at least in my case - my auto update restarted my computer while I was rendering. Asked MS for my money back. Yeah - we'll see. Seems stupid to pay $20 to have something act like a virus on my system when I could go out and get one for free.

ercaxus
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Windows Live One Care was causing everything (not just Lightwave) on my computer to run horribly. My laptop it made unuseable. And yes - at least in my case - my auto update restarted my computer while I was rendering. Asked MS for my money back. Yeah - we'll see. Seems stupid to pay $20 to have something act like a virus on my system when I could go out and get one for free.
Heheh this is for you:

When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for free." - Linus Torvalds

ravantra
05-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Question:
Why should we pay MS to fix problems MS causes? Nice business model. Release an OS with all kinds of problems and then charge to fix them. Sounds like "protection" money. "Nice computer shame if anything happened to it"....Godfather mentality.
Just my humble 2 cents worth.....

nthused
05-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Although I really appreciate the work that Microsoft has done with XP and XP64 (they work with most any hardware - which is pretty amazing), I bought my wife an Apple laptop for the reasons mentioned here. I'm so tired of having to buy other software to ensure the operating system can function. Her Apple works and I don't have to constantly monitor it or fix it.

As soon as the budget allows, I'm buying myself a new Mac Intel laptop. Then if I really HAVE to load Windows I'll have the option. It SO good to have options.

Edit: BTW, sorry for the rant. Just tired of buying software I cannot afford to fix problems I did not create. This was not meant to be slamming Microsoft.

ercaxus
05-31-2006, 11:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with slamming Microsoft. Millions do it everyday :D