PDA

View Full Version : Stills to AVI

robk
05-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I rendered out a series of stills to my hard drive then wanted to record them as an AVI.

on page 552 of the lightwave manual I read this

To save wear and tear on your VTR, first render all of the frames to your hard drive. Then set up a new
scene using the resulting image sequence as a Background Image (Effects Panel, Compositing
Tab). Render the new scene and record the images.

But when I try to select all the images all the requester will only let me choose one image. I tried holding the shift key down but it doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?

How do I get a series of stills to become an AVI within Lightwave if this method doesn't work?

Silkrooster
05-28-2006, 12:51 AM
The beauty of it is you don't have to select all the files, just the first in your sequence. As long as they are sequencially numbered, LW will know to load the rest.
In the image editor(F6) the image type saying "still" will change to "sequence" once your sequence is loaded. To let you know that you succeeded.
Now you can set the sequence as a background image in the effects window's composite tab(ctrl-F7).
Once that is done, check the properties of the camera and make sure it matches the sequence.
Set your render options and press F10 to output your avi.
Silk

robk
05-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Finally tracked it down on the web. I had to go to image editor first and load the files as an image sequence instead of a still. Stupid f**king way to do it if you ask me. Why didn't they just include still of image sequence in the load backdrop requester instead of having you load them up in the image editor first.
Previous software I used saw a sequence and asked if I wanted to load a sequence or just a still. Don't know what the Newtek guys were thinking when they came up with some of this stuff.

toby
05-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Finally tracked it down on the web. I had to go to image editor first and load the files as an image sequence instead of a still. Stupid f**king way to do it if you ask me. Why didn't they just include still of image sequence in the load backdrop requester instead of having you load them up in the image editor first.
Maybe so you can switch it at any time?

When I start a project in After Effects, I have to remember to check the 'sequence' button for every single sequence I bring in, over and over again, and if I forget one, I only get a still, which I then have to clear, and import the sequence again, and make sure and hit the check box. GOD what a stupid f*ing way to do it, how DARE they do it differently than Newtek - what were they thinking?

robk
05-28-2006, 08:23 PM
So why didn't they just give you the option in the backround loader to load a sequence or still instead of having to pre-load the sequence in the Image editor. It smacks of the sense of having to reload a clip map evey time I load a 2D tree object instead of being able to save them with the object.

toby
05-28-2006, 10:29 PM
So why didn't they just give you the option in the backround loader to load a sequence or still instead of having to pre-load the sequence in the Image editor.
Why doesn't After Effects allow you to switch between a still and a sequence?

It's impossible for developers to incorporate every single idea or preference that every user has, and my point was that there are 2 different ways to do it, and just because someone is used to one way doesn't make the other way wrong.

robk
05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Just because they did it the same way as Lightwave (or vice versa) does not make it logical. The bulk of programs I use i.e. Autocad ,FPRIME let you zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, logical? yes. Keep your mouse over a magnifiing icon with the left mouse button held down for zooming, logical? **** no!
Don't get me wrong. I am getting used to Lightwaves little quirks and have just ordered my LW9 upgrade but I still find some things that don't make a lot of sense. One of my pet peeves is when you F9 render an image and the resultant render is larger than your screen and you want to zoom in to check a detail, that detail better be in the top left corner or you will never see it. Virtually every image display window lets you pan with a mouse or the horizontal and vertical sliders. Lightwaves display window must have been written 15 years ago when I still had my amiga.

Silkrooster
05-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Hold down the alt key when draging the image.
Silk

toby
05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Just because they did it the same way as Lightwave (or vice versa) does not make it logical.
They did the opposite way, and what I'm saying is, that doesn't make it illogical.

The bulk of programs I use i.e. Autocad ,FPRIME let you zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, logical? yes. Keep your mouse over a magnifiing icon with the left mouse button held down for zooming, logical? **** no!
That's not a question of logic at all, that's preference. I use the scroll wheel to cycle through the translation tools, and cntrl-alt-drag combination to zoom.

Don't get me wrong. I am getting used to Lightwaves little quirks and have just ordered my LW9 upgrade but I still find some things that don't make a lot of sense. One of my pet peeves is when you F9 render an image and the resultant render is larger than your screen and you want to zoom in to check a detail, that detail better be in the top left corner or you will never see it. Virtually every image display window lets you pan with a mouse or the horizontal and vertical sliders. Lightwaves display window must have been written 15 years ago when I still had my amiga.
That could be.

richgrafx
05-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Lightwave's use of the mouse wheel in Layout is excellent.

By itself it cycles through the transform tools.
Combined with alt it zooms.
Combined with ctl it scrolls throughs the timeline.
Combined with shift, it cycles through objects in the scene.

robk
05-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Okay Okay I have been thuorually chastised. I still need sliders for that image window after F9 though.