PDA

View Full Version : Animation and Requirements

newtekker04
05-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Two questions: 1)What are the new system requirements for [9] and 2) what's the new Relativity Expression Engine like? Is it easy to use? Does it really enhance the animation workflow? What can be said about it? Lets hear the details...:dance:

SplineGod
05-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I dont think the system requirements have changed much other then maybe an opengl card that supports the Hardware accelerated GL.

Relativity is awesome. Ive used it before in production and it was THE expression engine for LW before LW got one. Its definately more robust then LWs native expression system. Its got ok documentation but the professors are very simple to use for setting up expressions.

IMO it enhances the workflow for characters in the following ways.
1. The expressions see LWs IK.
2. The expressions work with Record Pivot Rotation
3. Rel Follower doesnt screw up LWs IK
4. Rel Target doesnt screw up LWs IK
5. Rel interactivity can be turned on and off globally
6. Relativity can create expression groups per character. Each expression group can be turned on and off at will.
7. Relativity expressions dont flip out if they dont the channel/object/item theyre looking for. They will automatically kick in as soon as the channel/object/item shows up.
8. Rel Morph Effectors work in realtime.

I might be able to think of a few more but that about sums it up for me. :)

mav3rick
05-28-2006, 02:58 AM
hey newtettetetker hows Serious sam :)

newtekker04
05-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Hmm, interesting stuff. Honestly, though, some of what you mentioned is a little convoluted to me.:) As long as it helps the animation process, I'm happy.:thumbsup:

Yeah, the graphics card is mainly what I was interested in. I'm still using a GeForce 4 Ti 64mb card. It handles all my realtime stuff fine, but if [9] requires a 128mb, I'll have to upgrade.

hey newtettetetker hows Serious sam

Serious Sam is still one of my all-time favorites. You just can't beat good ol' Sam.:D

SplineGod
05-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Which things seem convoluted? Ill try and explain where and why I use those particular things. :)

newtekker04
05-28-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, I guess it's mostly the whole 'expression' and 'professors' business. Are these attributes that can be seen in realtime, or are they primarily 'under-the-hood' things? Keep in mind, my animation skills are a major WIP. :)

SplineGod
05-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Most of the time expressions are a simple way of linking channels to other channels much like what follower does. The difference is that expressions have a lot more power. You usually dont need much math in general use but have that added depth if you need it.
The professors in Relativity are a quick way to setup expressions. From there you can tweak them further if you need to.
You might use expressions for example to link a bunch of bone rotational channels in some fingers to a slider.

newtekker04
05-28-2006, 08:17 PM
So, essentially, expressions are just a way of enhancing/refining animations? Would expressions be used in character animation? If so, would expressions be better than hand tweaking?

SplineGod
05-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Expressions are used all the time in character rigging. For simpler rigs you may not need them at all or very little. In more complex rigs theyre used all the time.
Motion modifiers are really expressions, just implemented in an easier to get to and use form.
Muscle bones for example can be done with plugins or expressions. Driving endomorphs can also be done with plugins or expressions. I like to keep things simple and use them only when needed. I try not to use them in a way that takes control from me. For example you can use expressions to make a character autocenter between IK Goals so that all you need to do is walk the Leg Goals forward and the body automatically goes with it. This can be bad in that the animation will look more mechnical with no character. Doing it this way can be an easy way to rough or block your animation out because you could go back and BAKE the autocenter generated motions, filter the curves and tweak the motion the rest of the way by hand.
You can also use a secondary controller that would allow you to animate on top of the autocentering. Thats why its important to use them in a way that you can either tweak/override them or use them on things you may not need to animate by hand or would be very time consuming to do by hand. :)

erikals
05-29-2006, 04:10 AM
Expressions are scarry, but, I'm wondering... :)
Do you know if Relativity has "if" expressions?
(if so, then I guess maybe, with a lot of hard work, one could make an expression that automatically "morphs" from a walk cycle to a run cycle when a parented to a Null exceeds a certain speed)

SplineGod
05-29-2006, 06:27 AM
You mean conditional expressions...yes it does though I dont think I would ever animate something like that in that way. It would give me a migraine! :)

erikals
05-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Cool, yup, it would require lots of time, sort of like a function in the Endorphine program I guess. Just a fun idea for now :)

mduclon
07-14-2006, 03:28 AM