PDA

View Full Version : I broke my dongle

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 01:29 PM
See, my computer is on the floor. I have 20 usb ports (yes really) and 4 are in the front on the bottem. Since all the other things taking usb ports have wires, I decided to connect them in the back and put the dongle in the front. The desk next to mine has an evil chair that broke it by it being rolled and hit into the dongle, forcing it at an angle from the USB port. I am mad! Especially casue now I cant use lw 9 and experiment which I had barely any time to do up until now.

anybody know if there is a charge for a new dongle or how to get another? will I have to reregester everything?...I dont have to buy it again I would immagin, right?

GARRARARARRRRARRRARARARRRR!!!

metahumanity
05-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Funniest thread title ever!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes it is.

but in all seriosness, what do I do?

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 01:48 PM
ok I just saw on the FAQ that you call a number.

http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php?tree=true&category=67

T-Light
05-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Mine died on me last year, BeeVee (Newtek Europe) had one out to me within a couple of days. :)

ps They'll ask for yours back, remember to include your name, address etc so they know it's your dongle, in my case I didn't think ahead and tried to explain to them over the phone that it was "purple and scruffy", don't think it went down to well :D :o

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Yea its sorta urgent, bad time for it to die.

I am emailing NT now since you can only call them mon-fri and it happens to be a sat. ON A LONG WEEKEND...GAARRRARRRARRRR!

Not only that, but I will BE GONE WED-FRI and be home AFTER 8

Fooey!!!

iconoclasty
05-27-2006, 02:02 PM
My dongle is bent to the left.

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 02:05 PM
at least it isnt broken

Celshader
05-27-2006, 02:11 PM
anybody know if there is a charge for a new dongle or how to get another? will I have to reregester everything?...I dont have to buy it again I would immagin, right?

As long as you have the corpse of the old dongle, you're fine. I don't think NewTek charges anything more than shipping to replace a broken dongle.

You will have to reregister everything, since the new dongle will have a different ID.

nerdyguy227
05-27-2006, 03:49 PM
ok thanks

hrgiger
05-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I upgraded my dongle to the USB duo and it cost me around $30 to do so.

Celshader
05-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Yep, a parallel->USB dongle upgrade is normally $30. The parallel->USB upgrade is free if you pre-order the next version of LightWave, though.

For broken dongles, the replacement is free if you still have the broken dongle. :) I found a Chuck Baker post with specific information:

From http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=379686&postcount=30

If the dongle dies or breaks due to normal use (basically, anything where you still have the tiny little carcass of the deceased to send back to us), that's free replacement. The fee occurs in situations where the dongle was stolen or destroyed by some event that you would expect to be covered by insurance - fire, flood, tornadoes, etc., and where you don't have the dongle to return but can supply verification of the loss, such as police or fire report or insurance claim. Where many companies insist that you or your insurance company need to purchase a new license at full price in these situations, we make allowance for replacement of the hardware and materials at a nominal fee instead.

kmaas
05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Funny - same kind of thing happened to me. My dongle was attached to a back USB port on a laptop, and was shoved sideways against a scanner when I wasn't watching. Bent the thing, but, thank God, it still works.

BusyWolf
05-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Great info! Glad you posted this. Being fairly new I bought ver. 8.5 with an upgrade to 9. When I first put the dongle in, I put it in front beside the USB for my graphics tablet and forgot about it till now. Nice to know it can be replaced, yet better to now be more causious and aware of the pain , frustration and hassel of damage or loss!
Thanks all :bowdown:

Martin Adams
05-28-2006, 05:16 AM
I guess it might be a good idea to attach the dongle to a USB extension cable so there's less chance of it getting snapped and if you move it around, you could just unplug the extension cable saving the wear and tear on the dongle itself.

nerdyguy227
05-28-2006, 07:29 AM
The worst part of this all is its a long weekend (no phones open on mon.), I go on vacation on wed., and the deadline is tuesday morning. but much better if it is done before then. I have most of it done (Its a modeling project, so no rendering besides previews) though I cant render it without the checkerboard thing and FPrime doesnt work. I dont seem to run into the <400 point problem, guess they took that out, so I can keep working...respower might be an option here.

I emailed tech support and it seems they arnt working now.

I cant win!

Lord Snarebotto
05-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Where in New Jersey are you?

roboanarchy
05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Don't they make a pill for that?

nerdyguy227
05-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Where in New Jersey are you?

Northern. if you are thinking about lending yours then thank you a ton but I think I will live- not that urgent, just would be way easier if it didnt break.

I tried fixing it once before and got it but now it bent too far and it is seperated from the usb. I had to use a pair of pliers to get that peice of it out.

A pill? Hmm...yes maybe they do I should check on that, or maybe it will just grow back on its own.

once again I have to say FOOEY!

Celshader
05-28-2006, 12:39 PM
If you have any scenes that are already set up, you can still use Screamernet to render them. Screamernet does not require a dongle.

Here's a handy tool for batch-rendering LightWave scenes. It does not require the LightWave dongle, either:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1081

Lord Snarebotto
05-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Don't they make a pill for that?

Yeah, but the only drugstore that carries it is on top of Chehalem Mountain. ;)

androidmaker
05-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Did you actually break the dongle or did it just stop working? I had almost the same thing happen to me. I had my computer on a shelf with a door on it and the dongle in the front USB port. My daughter forced the door closed and at the time I thought it broke the dongle but after some checking I found out it was the USB port that was broken. When I used a different port it worked just fine.

nerdyguy227
05-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually I broke 2 usb ports in the process of breaking the dongle. The chair hit into it on 2 other ones and I opened the dongle and ajusted the prongs back to where they should be then plugged it into the next usb port. For some time it was in the back then I got another thing that needed usb and it didnt have a long cable so I moved my dongle back to the front. Then it took another hit and the light went out. When I tried to pull it out of the usb port, half sayed in and I had to remove it with pliers. It was bent and working for a while though. Now it is in 7 peices (1 prong, 2 half prongs, casing top, casing bottom w/ circuit board, usb metal, usb plastic). I tried to solder it but didnt go so well since its so tiny. 1 prong came out and split in half when I was working on it.

BusyWolf
05-28-2006, 11:37 PM
I guess it might be a good idea to attach the dongle to a USB extension cable so there's less chance of it getting snapped and if you move it around, you could just unplug the extension cable saving the wear and tear on the dongle itself.

:i_agree: Far out now your talkin' and I even have one that is not in use! :D Keep on truckin' now I'm showing my age, old fart but young at heart!

DiedonD
05-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Actually I broke 2 usb ports in the process of breaking the dongle. The chair hit into it on 2 other ones and I opened the dongle and ajusted the prongs back to where they should be then plugged it into the next usb port. For some time it was in the back then I got another thing that needed usb and it didnt have a long cable so I moved my dongle back to the front. Then it took another hit and the light went out. When I tried to pull it out of the usb port, half sayed in and I had to remove it with pliers. It was bent and working for a while though. Now it is in 7 peices (1 prong, 2 half prongs, casing top, casing bottom w/ circuit board, usb metal, usb plastic). I tried to solder it but didnt go so well since its so tiny. 1 prong came out and split in half when I was working on it.

Man thats some EVIL , EVIL chair you have there :devil: . You might need an exorcist to heel the poor suffering soul of the chair. Cause I dont think you can get rid of it by: breaking it into bits, throwing it whole to the garbage, selling it on e-bay, putting it on a mountain with explosions placed into it, or even secretly put the chair on a scientific one way ticket rocket to Uranus, where they take last pictures of the enviroenment before it crashes to its core. I think that will still hount you down, and come back to you again.

But seriously speaking, quit beating yourself about it, get on your feet soldier, and march your concentration to what can you do here and now, that would help around your work. Whats done is done, move on.

Did you had to put a final touch on your object? Is it almost done? How much percent more for it to work? Do you have friends that you can use their LW, or send the object to them so they could do it for you? And the such.

Good luck, and, loose the chair for crying out laud!

nerdyguy227
06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Alright so the project turned out ok and I get my new dongle tomorrow (technically today) so yea moral of the story here is dont put evil chairs next to innocent dongles.

In my desperate attempts to save the dongle I cut a usb cable and attached the wires where I thought they would go judging from where it was and a little internet usb diagram. It didnt work so well. I plugged it in and a little thing of smoke started emmiting. In my stupidity I thought "Ah, probably a bad port. Lets try another!" so I pluged it in and the same thing happened. Now neither of thoes ports seem to be working.

-Total Damages-

4 USB ports
2 USB 3 foot cables
My dongle (soon to be replaced)

Yes its my fault on all of these (except the last- thats the chair's fault). Thank you newtek for not steeling my broken dongle but replacing it free of charge.

DiedonD
06-30-2006, 05:24 AM
What happened to the you know who. The evil.....thing that most people sit on when theyre tired or working. I dont want to call it by its name cause I think the evil is spreading out.
I have the thing that you sit on aswell. With wheels on it. And...while moving around with it here and there to open up a nearby TV channel, the Memory Stick was sticking out from the front of my PC. And, this evil ....its quite a powerful thing. Im serious :stumped: . It blasted the memory stick, where it fell on to the floor, in two pieces.
Immediately I thought of you and your.....you know. I think the curse might be spreading after what I said to it. So Im thinking maybe if we dont call it by its name, it'll get powerless and these strangest of odd things wont spread happening to other members of our community. Just like Freddy vs Jason movie.
If anyone else experiences these same strangest of evil happenings, please be advized to not to speak of IT by its name. And I think not even a nickname would do.
Its just my suggestion to my community.

I also have seen some strange attempts towards me this time, from ....IT. It almost made me fall to a sharp corner of a table. While in the exact time some reddish things appeared on the TV screen for no reason, reflecting on ...ahm....IT, and like evil eyes appeared from the reflection.
I may have talked about IT way too much, risking everything, but I had to warn you of its evil spreading effects. If you dont hear from me anymore, if worse comes to worse, as my last will I would like that my friend to send my stories to some of briliant modelers and animators in our community, so that maybe you could finish what unnatural evil powers didnt allowed me to.
Thank you. All the best, be well...
Regards
Diedon

.... :thumbsup: ....