PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Challenge....

gareee
05-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Some posted a question somewhere else, and that led me to a few tests, with no results I really liked.

Here's the challenge: Model a spider's web with the least number of steps, and post them here.

Difficulty: Use only quads.

Lewis
05-28-2006, 11:51 AM
hehe and what's the prize for this "interesting" challenge ;)

gareee
05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, there's no "prize" per se, other then solving a minor puzzle.

The only real solution I could come up with is just manually building a section, and then spinning it, but maybe there's an easier way.

Lewis
05-28-2006, 12:06 PM
So you then maybe should say it's not challenge - rather puzzle for helping you ;).

Did you have photo of how you would like that web look at final ? That might help to offer some suggestions from users.

oDDity
05-28-2006, 12:22 PM
The easiest way would be to get some leet coder to write a script that does it for you.

SplineGod
05-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Heres a quickie one I did to try out a certain technique. Its made with hypervoxles. :)
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/web.jpg

gareee
05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
It's not for me at all. Someone over at RDNA was asking how to model one, and I figured I'd tinker with it, and it was harder then I thought.

Simplest system I though of was creating a ball, removing the south pole half, flattening it, and then seleting every other arm, stretching those evenly, and then selecting every poly, beveling them, and then deleting the still selected polys.

That still looks too "rigid" or mechanical to me though.

That looks pretty good, splinegod, but when he posed th equestion, the first thing I thought of was a more "cartoon" or classic spiderman type web.

SplineGod
05-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I think I could get this to be any shape pretty easily. The edges are really lots of points closely spaced. That allowed me to keep the HV size small.
So this could be animated easily with bones, displacments etc.
Also this method works on pretty much any geometry. :)