PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Hiraghm
05-28-2003, 05:29 PM
I just finished adding my image and 3d animation galleries to my website. Could some of you please visit my website, go to the graphics page, and check out the still image and 3d animation galleries?

I'd like both aesthetic opinions as well as bug reports, please! I know it doesn't work too well under some Linux browsers, and I'll get to that as soon as I know it's working on Windows.

The link is at the bottom of this message.

pauland
05-28-2003, 05:41 PM
I had a quick look. Large chunks of the site are badly broken - pages missing or just plain empty. IE 5.5 under W2K, so it's not just linux.

Paul

Hiraghm
05-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Oh, yeah, large chunks are broken, blank pages mostly. I just got the gallery working (or at least, that's the part I'm trying to get working...) Once I know the gallery is working (at least somewhat) I'll fill in the other sections.

Did you get to the gallery sections? Did the animations play, or the still images display for you?

Thanks for looking; much appreciated!

pauland
05-29-2003, 01:48 AM
Well, I can't say that once I found out that so much was broken that I was motivated to continue. I really don't see why you've asked for comments when you know it still needs much work.

It's far better to put up a small site of working pages, than to put up a larger site with broken ones.

I'm not a huge fan of the design either, I'm afraid, particularly where there's lots of empty space and you still have to move over a menu to see the options.

So still a lot of work to do....

Paul

sbrandt
05-29-2003, 08:00 AM
...for your typesetting: "margins".

I got as far as the "shroom" and lost all interest.

Green on black is a no-no.

Doug Nicola
05-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Just checked it out, and I agree in general with what's been said. Get some margins in there, and get more things working.

I downloaded the Moebius avi and I encountered a playback problem that I've seen once before, and have no idea what it is. The avi flashed alternate frames of horizontal green and magenta lines, and the first frame of the animation. What the heck is this? It does this both in Windows Media Player and DivX player.

Hiraghm
05-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the comments...

Paul, well, the rest of the site isn't oriented around Lightwave as much. With the comments I've received, I can go back and make changes and fix things I didn't notice before in this section, before moving on. The more I do before debugging, the more bugs I'll have to squish. :(

The initial empty space on the graphics page won't be empty long, I hope. I need to grab a screen capture of my current project to put in there, along with some progress notes.

sbrant,
What do you mean by "margins"? I thought I'd put margins around the images.. Or do you mean margins in the display window? Doh! I'll check into that.
Why is green-on-black a no-no? I'll try other colors.

Thanks again for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Oh, one other question. I've been trying to make it "work" on a 640 x 480 display... is that too pessimistic? Should I assume at least 800 by 600? That's why I went to the separate windows for the image display, so it'd work better at 640 x 480.

pauland
05-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Very few people have VGA monitors. If it were my site, I'd go 800x600 probably.

Paul

Rei
05-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Nice SFX, its a bit slow too. Green is a big no, white on black is just about the limit of using black as a background.

ted
05-29-2003, 03:58 PM
It Sucks!

Just kidding. Not a bad start. But I gotta agree, I don't like black backgrounds.
It may look cool, but if I ever want to print something off a site with black backgrounds, I gotta do a copy and paste to a word document.

It has more dazzel then my site though, so I ain't knocking it!:)

Doug Nicola
05-29-2003, 04:00 PM
OK, I got Moebeus to work with the latest DivX. I had just installed a new MS Media Player, and I think it's not playing well with DivX.

Anyways, the green on black thing (or anything besides white on black) I think is just because this kind of color scheme got used on lots of early web design, and the novelty of it has worn off. Now that things are settling down a bit on the web, things are getting more traditional.

sbrandt
05-29-2003, 07:31 PM
If you were paying good tuition money and in my class, I'd tell you this...

By typesetting "margin" I mean... MARGIN. It's not a button you push, or a setting in a web development application. It's a design element that applies to any layout. It's the space included in the composition that assists in holding the reader or viewer's eye, and helps in guiding the viewer to move through your piece the way you intended. Of course there can be design applications where copy or images, for dramatic design purposes, are allowed to run to the edge, or bleed off the edge of an image area. But generally for body copy you always need good margins. A rule of thumb is the width of 2 to 4 characters of the main block of text will be just about right. (but that can change too depending on the look and desired feel of the overall design.

Green on black is a no-no in this instance because you've already set a STYLE statement at your page's header, using a red and blue primary palette. The black on steel-blue is MUCH better. Two possibilities. 1 go a little darker with the background and set the copy to a very light gray. Or... 2 Cut back the steel-blue back ground just a bit because there's still not much contrast between background and text.

It's not that Green and Black are against some "design law" or something. The issue is... to work it should be part of a theme or style you're setting that you will execute consistently throughout your piece. (here's an example of an entirely Green and Black layout that "works" because it's part of the OVERALL design statement. http://www.delfinproject.com/ ) If you'd gone with a "radiation green glow / green skinned alien" sensibility it could be pulled together in a very effective way.

And... (you're the artist, so create what you will) but I'd stay away from the kind of thing you might find scribbled or sketched in the margins of jr. high student's three-ring binder. Like, "shrooms". The potential market for that, is... well... jr. high students, and they don't pay very well.

It's obvious you're not just slapping some amateur crud together and hoping for compliments. You're calling for an honest professional critique and I really respect that. That was always one of the best things about art school. No diplomacy... just real information.

I don't know how old you are, but you should look into you local community colleges for a basic design and color theory class or two. If you're not college age yet, many have summer vacation classes for youngsters and highschool students. It will mean all the difference in the world to the way you create.

sbrandt
06-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I ran into another example of a site theme done in Green and Black... here: http://www.irscodebusters.com

The site is VERY intersting too!

sbrandt
06-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it, here's a new site first draft mock-up I just did for a client yesterday, for him to proof and decide if he likes the layout or not. http://www.consolidatedservices.us
It's not Green and Black, but it IS basically MONOTONE. It's in Orange and a Warm-Grey. The couple on the right is in full color, but the greens don't really become part of the scheme but act rather as a counterpoint.