PDA

View Full Version : Riddle Me This: Newtek vs Spinquad

maninspace
05-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi all,

Okay here's one for you to answer. I recently got a postcard in the mail from Newtek announcing a special offer by which I can get LW v9 along with Vue 5 and LWCAD for only $395.

This week I got an email newsletter from Spinquad offering me LW v9 along with Vue 5 and LWCAD for only $325 - identical offer except for the price (and Spinquad says its offer is only available to Canada and U.S.)

So

1) Any suggestions on which offer I should accept?

2) Why would Newtek let a 3rd party sell software to its users at a lower cost than it sells software to its users?

Signed, Just Curious

P.S. This would not be the first time that I have bought software from a "middleman" because their price was cheaper than the manufacturer's. Silly me, I always thought that if you wanted a cheaper price you skipped the middleman.

ShawnStovall
05-27-2006, 08:57 AM
My guess is that the middleman is paying wholesale prices and is getting it for a much cheaper price then we pay. That way they can reduce the consumer pricing a little bit.

Lito
05-27-2006, 08:59 AM
1) Take the cheaper one if it is available is always my suggestion.

2) 3rd party sellers almost always can sell at less cost. If they couldn't then there would be no point in having resellers because people would always buy from the manufacturer. The "middlemen" will get bigger discounts from the manufacturer cause they buy in multiple units. So if X sells for $100 when you buy it you pay $100 but if a "middleman" sells it he can sell it you you for less because he had to buy 100 copies for say $70 and he will charge you $89 to cover his expenses and make a profit.

cresshead
05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
would be nice if these middle men also sold to us in the u.k.
my pricing for the upgrade is $591 including vat or $503 without vat

either way we get stiffed in comparison the the us customers

even without the added vat we pay nr $175 more than a us/canadian customer who uses spinquad

BazC
05-27-2006, 01:02 PM
would be nice if these middle men also sold to us in the u.k.
my pricing for the upgrade is $591 including vat or $503 without vat

either way we get stiffed in comparison the the us customers

even without the added vat we pay nr $175 more than a us/canadian customer who uses spinquad

I believe Safeharbor (http://www.sharbor.com/) sell to the UK

Dodgy
05-27-2006, 01:46 PM
£246.00($457.39) +vat from onevideo.net

Nemoid
05-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi all,

Okay here's one for you to answer. I recently got a postcard in the mail from Newtek announcing a special offer by which I can get LW v9 along with Vue 5 and LWCAD for only $395.

This week I got an email newsletter from Spinquad offering me LW v9 along with Vue 5 and LWCAD for only $325 - identical offer except for the price (and Spinquad says its offer is only available to Canada and U.S.)

So

1) Any suggestions on which offer I should accept?

2) Why would Newtek let a 3rd party sell software to its users at a lower cost than it sells software to its users?

Signed, Just Curious

P.S. This would not be the first time that I have bought software from a "middleman" because their price was cheaper than the manufacturer's. Silly me, I always thought that if you wanted a cheaper price you skipped the middleman.

Well, Spinquad is a related Nt and Lw resource website. so i Think Wes and/or Proton simply could have bought a stock of copies in agreement with Nt and set them to this price tag, even to earn more users to join SQ !!

It's a good offer. if you can, go for it. :lwicon:

But hey , if you really wanna pay more... :D

mac
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM

I paid $1020 canadian for 8.3/vue 5 infinite deal, which was advertised at $795 US

cresshead
05-27-2006, 05:18 PM
re safe harbor:
LightWave 3D 9 Upgrade w/ PDF Manual is for sale in North America only. Due to manufacturer's restrictions, Safe Harbor can not ship this product internationally.

i'll have a look at one video..seems the cheapest so far for u.k customers
£289.05 inc vat [shipping will be extra no doubt]

direct link to their page
http://www.onevideo.co.uk/lightwave-3d-9-upgrade-preorder-eon-vue-5-infinite-p-199.html

compared to newtek europe's £318.42 inc vat

you know i;m not usre weather to hold out till after this deal has gone by....i'd sooner have a deal to upgrade both of my lw seats at a reduced cost rather than just one seat and get that free vue thing...of which i'm not sure if i'll ever use it...i never used or registered fusion+ as i had combustion already which did stuff much better.

...we'll see.

SplineGod
05-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Well Wes owns spinquad/kurv and spinquad/kurv is a LW reseller. A reseller buys LW at a certain price and can sell it at cost, give it away etc if they want to.
I would definately go with the cheaper deal :)

kurv
05-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Guys, good to see this discussion here... the product sold from SpinQuad is the same product you get from any other reseller or NewTek themselves.

Why do we sell for less...?

Because we want to help the LW community as much as we can... that’s all.

If you feel more comfortable paying the regular price, call me I would be happy to sell you the upgrade at the retail price... I would even ship it free for you ;).

Sorry we can not sell into Europe yet, were working on that... I understand SpinQuad is a site available worldwide... but were based here in the US. Sorry guys... we sincerely are working on the Europe sales issue :).

Any questions regarding these sales, please fee free to email me at sales at SpinQuad dot com.

Remember the sale ends in a few days... even we cant get more after next week.

prospector
05-27-2006, 11:14 PM
for your financial safty, double and triple check BEFORE you buy.

I went with a deal like that, ordered the VT 4 for 495.
Got the statement next day and was 595.

called company and they said it was an old webpage that wasn't updated since DEC. This was 2 weeks ago.

So protect yourself. Just to be safe.

BazC
05-28-2006, 12:40 AM
re safe harbor:
LightWave 3D 9 Upgrade w/ PDF Manual is for sale in North America only. Due to manufacturer's restrictions, Safe Harbor can not ship this product internationally.

AH, i didn't realise this, too bad!

badllarma
05-28-2006, 12:51 AM
for your financial safty, double and triple check BEFORE you buy.

I went with a deal like that, ordered the VT 4 for 495.
Got the statement next day and was 595.

called company and they said it was an old webpage that wasn't updated since DEC. This was 2 weeks ago.

So protect yourself. Just to be safe.

I once bought 10 P4 3.00Gz base units for £10.00 each due to a web site error needless to say they said it was a mistake and was not the correct price. Not sure where you are prospector but there has been cases in the UK where you can get the goods for the advertised price otherwise they are breaking trading standards laws etc.. False advertising and so on and so forth.

The problem with my case was the price was SO wrong it had to be a mistake with your price there would be a good argument for the price as advertised as it's not that far off the correct price.

On a simlar note I have just ordered my VT upgrade (from 2 to 4.6 and then 5 when it comes out) from Onevideo which on the web page included free Title Box but there was an error on the page as I only bought the software upgrade to Lightwave 7.5 and not 8 (all the Newtek programs run on my one work station in the office so no need for another version of Lightwave). I do not get it.

Now if I wanted to be bloody minded I could have taken them to task about this as I only found out after my order (when Title Box did not arrive with VT 4.6) but there nice people there and they have to make something on the sale so I let it go if I had gone for the Title Box they would have been well out of pocket no doubt.........................and I do have close family working in the legal profession :)

From my point of view the VT upgrade deal was sweet as it was VT 2 upgraded to VT 4.6 AND THEN VT 5 with a stanalone copy of Speededit all for just over £400.00.
Lightwave 9.0 upgrade with Vue & CAD I wonder how they do make money some times! :D

prospector
05-28-2006, 01:34 AM
yea but is it worth the lawyer fees?

badllarma
05-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Depends where you are if you were to win the case in the UK they would have to pay but on issues like this 99% of the time they will settle as they don't want:-

The hassle
The bad press
Expensive lawyer bills, it goes either way after all :thumbsup:

A very large retailer in the UK had a web site problem just as online selling was kicking off, the usual thing the wrong price, 100's if not thousands of orders until they shut the page down. At first they said they would not honour the sales, and they were slated in the UK press to the point where that took the hit and forfilled the orders.
Better to loose thousands than hundreds of thousands in future business after all.

Depends where you are of course and if you have the evidence to back up any claim was the orginal web page printed off showing what they were selling it for that price for instance? Also anyone you know see it also at that price? Because without either and other independants who visited the site and saw it they could just turn round and say wasn't our site, must have been one that looked simlar :)

BTW I know NOTHING about the legal ins and outs this is all IMO

mav3rick
05-28-2006, 02:42 AM
i dunno i never bother myself for 50-60 bucks .. but than again it's me

Nemoid
05-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Guys, good to see this discussion here... the product sold from SpinQuad is the same product you get from any other reseller or NewTek themselves.

Why do we sell for less...?

Because we want to help the LW community as much as we can... thatís all.

If you feel more comfortable paying the regular price, call me I would be happy to sell you the upgrade at the retail price... I would even ship it free for you ;).

Sorry we can not sell into Europe yet, were working on that... I understand SpinQuad is a site available worldwide... but were based here in the US. Sorry guys... we sincerely are working on the Europe sales issue :).

Any questions regarding these sales, please fee free to email me at sales at SpinQuad dot com.

Remember the sale ends in a few days... even we cant get more after next week.

i think this is actually a great thing and i like how you do this just to help the community to grow. Lw has so far what i think is one of the best 3D related communities out there, very helpful and friendly, so this community grows even better with offers like yours. :)
I'm an european one, but i don't mind, also because the retail price is a good one as well.

stib
05-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Sorry we can not sell into Europe yet, were working on that... I understand SpinQuad is a site available worldwide... but were based here in the US. Sorry guys... we sincerely are working on the Europe sales issue .

And don't forget Australia. The list price (http://www.selectsolutions.com.au/viewcart.htm?Buy+LightWave+3D+V9+%28Pre+Order%29+u pgrade+from+V8+with+Vue+5+%28electronic+manuals%29 .x=31&Buy+LightWave+3D+V9+%28Pre+Order%29+upgrade+from+V 8+with+Vue+5+%28electronic+manuals%29.y=10&qty=1&pid=145) for the electronic manual version here is AU$560 before tax, which is US$432 (after GST it's AU$616 = US$475!). Seems like the local distributors could do with a bit of competition.

I might have to see if I can get a friend in the states to ship it to me, it would be worth doing for the $100+ price difference.