PDA

View Full Version : HD AVi wrapper???

jport
05-26-2006, 07:29 PM
does the current avi wrapper also work for HD projects??

i want to know if i can export Speed Edit files to be used on a 3rd party video card- specifically a Decklink board.

ted
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure NO.
Don't panic. Speed Edit will be able to in/out-put many formats. And it's not out yet.
There are several options available now and currently being developed. I think we'll have countless options.

The biggest problem will be deciding on a slightly more complex configuration among many choices. I don't have it fully mapped out either.
But I'm watching it closely.

jport
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
thanks ted,

we're moving forward with our HD after waiting a year for Newtek. we've decided on Decklink.

my biggest fear is flattening 30min or 1hr. projects in uncompressed HD for playback on Decklink, those are going to be some huge files.

an HD wrapper would make things better.

ScorpioProd
05-26-2006, 10:46 PM
But a "HD wrapper" wouldn't let you play your project in real-time out of a third-party card anyway. No more than the current AVI wrapper gives you real-time in other applications. It's more a frame server system than anything else, useful for rendering applications only.

To do what you suggest would require a lot more than that, such as what Bob Tasa had done back in the Premiere 6.5 days, getting that to work in real-time with the VT hardware. I don't see Newtek doing that kind of thing now if they are coming out with their own HD hardware in the future.

Like Ted says, we'll have to wait and see, but SpeedEDIT is supposed to support many I/O formats natively, that seems to be the way Newtek is headed with it.

jport
05-27-2006, 08:59 PM
i didn't know that, but it does make sense.

aside from audio issues i've never had problems using the avi wrapper with vegas which seemed to play back in realtime without rendering. but then again i only used common avi (uncompressed avi or DV avi) with the wrapper and not NTs proprietary codecs (.rtv or nt25).

it may support many I/O formats but it only supports 1 "hardware" output, Firewire. and by all accounts it will probably take another year for additional outputs to be supported or NT to come out with its own HD board.

which doesn't solve my delema intergrating SE with third party boards.

ted
05-27-2006, 11:30 PM
I read a good article about CAT 5 being used for multiple HD streams.
I can't remember where I read it since I surf all over the internet nightly for info. (gotta start saving more of this stuff! ):thumbsdow
So much is evolving it's hard to say what tomorrow will bring.
Off I go...Surfs up!

radams
05-28-2006, 02:24 AM
I read a good article about CAT 5 being used for multiple HD streams.
I can't remember where I read it since I surf all over the internet nightly for info. (gotta start saving more of this stuff! ):thumbsdow
So much is evolving it's hard to say what tomorrow will bring.
Off I go...Surfs up!

Welcome to the middle age club there TED :)

And yes there are those using Cat 5 for COMPRESSED HD files...but realize that most ALL HD formats now used have some compression unless you are recording directly to a Raid system from the camera. Or doing a Bayer Dump (but then that is over Ethernet anyway)...

IMHO, the IT options are going to take over the i/o of the entire production workflow. As cheap as Decklink is...I would be careful...there have been many issues with the PC drivers...and other issues with jitter on the SDI output, etc... Are you using HD-SDI ? with what deck or camera ?

The new systems record directly to disk or P2 memory...so you don't need to digitize...and with Speed Edit you use the your graphic card's output (DVI, HDMI, or Component HD) to see your material...and that could then be used to output if need be to a HD-SDI deck....Or If NT goes the IT route and allows i/o thru a Giga ethernet...then again why would you need another third party card...when it is now off the shelf native with your system...

Cheers,

jport
05-28-2006, 05:51 AM
ray,

i've been using "decklink HD extreme" for the last 2 weeks so far no problems [finger crossed], this is with a digibeta deck sdi in/out. we will be getting a sony HDW2000 in the next 3-4 months and DL assures us that thier card will work with that deck. the deck has no FW at all. and what i need more than anything is deck control, both batch capturing and mastering.

i'm sure NT will make the right decission in regards to whatever IT solutions they are considering, but we can't wait any longer. also most Networks/stations require a tape for submission, they have not changed thier rules to also include Hard drives or Memory Cards, so until then...

plus, I HATE PREMIERE PRO!!!! i can work with it... but would prefer using Speed Edit.