PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything about edges! Free Gift Inside!!!1!1

brtk
05-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello to all you betatesters!
Apparently you're now allowed to talk and answer questions about 9 and I'm sure that after months and months of testing and keepeng your mouths shut you're eager to tell everyone about all the goodies! So don't hesitate, let it out now. I'm especially intrested in the edge feature, it hasn't been demoed that much and the only thing I've seen is that you can select and transform them. Now I'm wondering: how well are they implemented/integrated, are there any edge specific tools (work on edges only), do you have general tools(work on edges and other elements fex. spin tool would work on a pair of polygons or an edge), are you able to have some kind of edge selection sets? Finally: how are CC-sds working esp. creasing/sharpening? I'm still waiting for the demo video...

As the gift of appreciation for Your effort to answer my questions I give you another BRONX_BROTHERS image found on Teh Intarnets:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1741/bbkommen300dpiworldyouthday200.th.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bbkommen300dpiworldyouthday200.jpg)

Bytehawk
05-26-2006, 05:42 PM
2 words: edge weighting

mav3rick
05-27-2006, 02:12 AM
lol u re crazy :) hahahahah but thats good

gjjackson
05-27-2006, 02:30 AM
CC's are coming along nicely. They've made a couple of enhancements and has made a huge difference. They have some more refinements but as it stands now it has made a big jump in workability.

BazC
05-27-2006, 02:59 AM
Edges are cool but no more so than in any other app. Edge weighting is a big improvent over vertex weighting, CatmullClark SDS are still being optimised but are working nicely. There are no edge specific tools (apart from weighting) that I can think of and I don't think there should be. Most tools should work with points edges and polys in my opinion :D

Yog
05-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Does edge weighting in LW9 work the same as edge weighting in other apps, or is it another case of Newtek having "Edge like" tools, which are really point editing tools that just look like edge tools.

Example.
Create a cube (no subdivisions), pick the top four edges and give them a weighting value of 100%, now TAB the sub-D function.
In the other programs I use (XSI, MAX, Modo, and I understand Cinema and Maya act the same way), that have edge weighting available, the result would be a spherical bottom to the cube, and a flat circular top to the cube.

I ask because a test image I saw of LW9 suggested the result would be the same as just point weighting, i.e. instead of a circular top face, you would end up with a square face.

Fasty
05-27-2006, 07:25 AM
This what you're after?

hrgiger
05-27-2006, 08:21 AM
I ask because a test image I saw of LW9 suggested the result would be the same as just point weighting, i.e. instead of a circular top face, you would end up with a square face.

No, it is definately edge weighting. It behaves the same as it does in other apps. The only difference right now is that you enter a numerical value instead of dragging. But Newtek has stated that this tool is going to be refined yet.

Yog
05-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm glad to be wrong.
I saw a demo of LW9 that produced square corners off of an Edge weight, but wasn't able to confirm that what I understand as edge weighting was possible.

hrgiger
05-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah, here's a more complex example. I made this up to be similar to the demo you'll find on C4D's site for edge weighting.
The far prong's edges have been weighted but the near one has none.
Also, you'll notice the edges around the block of the object have been weighted.

brtk
05-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Hay guys!
Thank you for your kind replays, especially ones with the pictures because last thing I've heard about them is that one picture is worth more than two words, Bytehawk ;D
And also I think Yog has a point there: you never know how it works until you see it by yourself. For example AFAIK Maya doesn't have true edge weighting only three states: round, sharp and inbetween - I may be wrong on this tho, it is something I've heard some year ago - do we have any Mayans that can confirm?
Another question not answered is: do we have edge selection sets? It would be very usefull if you had to deal with edges and edge weighting. Imagine that you have a big complicated model with plenty of different details that use different weighting (fex: bolts on your, lets say spaceship, are very sharp and are weighted 95% but the doors, on the other side have round edges so you dont cut yourself by accident and are weighted 50%) so how do you go about selecting the door or bolt edges if you wanna change their weight?
Wich also makes me wonder: can you chose arbitrary weight or is it yes or no choice(sharp or round).
So may I make just one more request for a pic or two? It would be nice to see some rounded/sharpened CC edges, on real model if possible but even couple of boxes will do.
One more thing: Picard want to see some CC-ngons with weighted edges, he literally begs...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5726/picapica0ic.gif

Cheers

Skonk
05-27-2006, 04:48 PM
You can set a value from 0% to 100% for the sharpness.

mav3rick
05-27-2006, 05:18 PM
brtk u make me day every day:) i should subscribe to your posts:)

Snosrap
05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Edge weighting is GREAT! But NT still needs to fix some issues, because basically as it stands now once you weight the edges any type of Multiply command to the geometry breaks it. Also when new geometry is added ALL edges get 100% weighted, not good. Once they fix this, it will rock!

Image 1: is no edge weight. 2:is 100% weighting on outside edges. 3:is after a bevel. 4: is knifing and 5: is after a bevel and then move, notice the 100% weighting.

Cheers
Snos

Matt
05-28-2006, 01:35 AM
That blows!

erikals
05-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Outch. :)

brtk
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Outch!

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7408/d0c6e588f9df37f6233ee136001a51.gif (http://imageshack.us)

erikals
05-29-2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif
good clip ;)