PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 9 spill the beans!..go on!

cresshead
05-26-2006, 03:49 PM
lightwave 9 spill the beans!..go on!

seeing as chuck has green lit the beta users talking about lw9 now

can we have the good, the bad and the ugly on lw 9 from users?

i'm hoping for loads of 'good' btw!:thumbsup:

list it!:lwicon:

Celshader
05-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Nodes are good.

lede
05-26-2006, 03:59 PM
even though edges are a bit qwerky they are fun to use :D

-Lee

cresshead
05-26-2006, 04:00 PM
lw9 beta gallery

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51392

KillMe
05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
nodes are powerful

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
APS kicks booty.

Nodal displacement kicks booty.

Pixie Dust is fun and something LW's needed for a while.. It would be great if PixieDust had a few more features, such as colour / transparency / clip maps like sprites have.

*Pete*
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
what is pixie dust??

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I do believe in fairies! I do believe in fairies! (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51402)

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Pixie Dust is fun and something LW's needed for a while.. It would be great if PixieDust had a few more features, such as colour / transparency / clip maps like sprites have.

well, it's got color and transparency. just make the planar color texture the same size as the particle size, and you've got per-particle texturing. do the same for transparency (fuzziness). unless i'm misunderstanding you?

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh it does that?? SWEET! I had no idea!

madjester
05-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Some people have gone though the Beta program and come out with a "Thats it?" response but I have loved seeing the pieces come together. I've used the majority of the new features and they work great, I am really happy with the whole package.

Cobalt
05-26-2006, 07:27 PM
I purchased the upgrade yesterday and have only scratched the surface with mt BETA download. The OpenGL improvements are obviously the first thing that jumped out at me.

Exception
05-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Layout is improved a lot, modeler a little.
Hopefully one of the most important parts is that it will be a lot more bug free ans stable, but we'll have to see about that.

T-Light
05-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Nodes are BRILL, but it doesn't stop there. There's so many improvements in areas you generally don't even think of that I've recently found 8.5 to be just too dated. If you've just bought, I'd recommend the studio configs (takes a little getting used to), but after that - the world changes :).

EVERYTHING is faster, from rendering to cloth dynamics. If you haven't bought yet, then I'd say give it another thought or two, It's worth every penny. :thumbsup:

T-Light
05-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Here's a quicky (unfinished - but getting there) , modeled, animated and rendered in 9, all a tad faster than it would have taken me in 8 :D

MooseDog
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
new production menu configuration is the s##t! makes so much more sense and workflow improves because of it. congrats!

Matt
05-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Two words ... RENDER SPEED!

ericsmith
05-26-2006, 10:04 PM
I think the best improvements are in speed. OpenGL is way faster in Layout. Not just a percentage, but like 10 - 20 times. It's huge. The renderer is also a good 3x faster in most of my tests.

APS is interesting. It's not quite as straightforward as true sub pixel displacement, but it gives more options for control. It definitely opens up some new possibilities.

The new features in Modeler aren't quite ready for prime time, in my opinion. CC subdivs are missing some features that I can't imagine doing without. The key one is that you can only manipulate the cage, not the isoparms. That's a real hassle for me. Edges seem to be cosmetic only. The tools that I would really want edges to work with, like rounder, still operate the same as if you selected the vertices instead of edges. But I'm fairly certain these issues will be worked out in the 9.x cycle, so it's not like we'll have to pay to get them done right.

Nodal is powerful but complicated. My one big beef is that from what I've experienced, it doesn't fit in nicely with the old layered surfacing system. I would prefer it if I could do most of my texturing the old way, and just use nodal for what the standard layering system can't handle. But instead, if I want to use nodal, I have to do everything in it.

I really like some of the little things, like the path for wind effector, and the stick to surface one. They're just plain smart, and useful for real world stuff.

Eric

faulknermano
05-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Nodal is powerful but complicated. My one big beef is that from what I've experienced, it doesn't fit in nicely with the old layered surfacing system. I would prefer it if I could do most of my texturing the old way, and just use nodal for what the standard layering system can't handle. But instead, if I want to use nodal, I have to do everything in it.

thanks. that's a very interesting and revealing observation. however, does the nodal system have a "layer node", or something to emulate a layering system (e.g. blend modes, opacity, etc)?

warrenwc
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
YES! There are layer nodes& math nodes & function nodes & texture nodes etc etc etc & IFW already has a sweet set of THIRD PARTY NODES available!!!!
Nodes are good.:newtek: :lwicon: :D

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 11:36 PM

He means everything in that particular surface... Not every surface in the scene.. You can mix and match.

I've found that you CAN mix and match within the surface as well. It seems that anything you set in Nodal overrides any element of the surface defined in the old layer setup. But if you don't plug anything into the reflections input, whatever you have set up for reflections in layers (imagemaps, etc.) will still work.. That's to my experience anyway.

ericsmith
05-26-2006, 11:45 PM
The thing is, Nodal has all the features of the layer system and more. It's just that the old layer system can be more to-the-point, and therefore quicker and easier. But I do want to make one thing clear. Nodal works very well. It's just going to take some getting used to.

As a side note, I just noticed something weird. Nodal only overrides the layer system on channels that nodes are being fed into. So for example, if you create a series of nodes that all feed into the specular channel, you can still use standard layers on the color or diffuse. And here's the weird part. Bump doesn't work this way. You can feed both nodes and layers into the bump channel, and they both show up in the final bump. I'm not sure why this is, but maybe this means that other channels could work this way as well. We'll just have to see.

Eric

Snosrap
05-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Nodal doesn’t work with FPrime yet. For me nodal is very mathematical and scientific and for me it is a “try this and see what that does” kind of a proposition, so having real-time feedback via FPrime is crucial for me. (VIPER still sucks!) I can’t believe some of the Nodal networks some of the beta testers have created. Blows my mind! This thing is unbelievably capable of almost any effect. The new Preference Panel is outstanding with a new Content Directory system. Load a scene that is not in the current content directory and LW will ask you if you want to change your directory to that location. Great addition! You can now set all kinds of defaults in this panel, including default camera sizes, types and focal lengths. There is a new “Render Globals Panel” for antialising, global illumination and output among others. Modeler has two Sub-D types: Subpatch and Catmull-Clark. The latter allows for EDGE WEIGTING! and N-GONS! At first the Catmull-Clark implementation was so slow as to be practically useless, anything more than 24 polys or so brought my system to a halt. I am happy to report that as of beta build 12 this is now a usable feature. There are still issues with Edges working properly with some tools, but NT is working these out. The new G-Toggle Subpatch is great and I replaced my normal “Tab” key with this function. It turns SDS on and off for the complete object even when only a few polys, points or edges are selected. There still has not been a consolidation of tools within Modeler, but once NT gets the core rebuilt we will see major improvements here. Things are looking real good for the future of LW.

Cheers
Snos

jcaesar
05-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Nodes, Speed, Studio Menu configs--these have changed the way I use Lightwave (for the better). Plugins which are still updated (and which have LW9 capability) like Vertibevel 2, and the IFW Textures, rock.

Many older but useful plugins (especially those not updated in a couple LW versions) are either completely non-functional, or are partially non-functional. As it has happened in the past with LW versions, many plugins will need updates. The partially non-functional plugins that I use, such as JettoFillet, have lost their dynamic update capability, but otherwise work fine. NB: This isn't to scare anyone off--it's just that I'm going to miss some older plugins. Most of the plugins I do use, work just fine.

Like many people, there are features I'd like to see, that won't be in the initial 9 release (or may not even be on the feature list yet). As Newtek has stated, this has been a major rewrite, and I myself find that the job up to this point has been well done, considering the size and complexity of the task at hand.

What is the best thing so far?

I would say the beta program. I think having the beta available to a larger audience has been much more valuable in getting the program more solid, identifying bugs, both new and old, so they get fixed. Additionally, I think I've enjoyed the camaraderie around the learning of nodes, as well as the sharing of nodes the most. I think that node sharing is going to become a big part of the LW community, judging by the node forum's popularity. There have been some amazing node trees created, and some people have offered to allow Newtek to include them with the release. I can only hope that the level of interactivity I've seen continues after the beta is over.

J

BazC
05-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Nodal is almost worth the upgrade on it's own! I wasn't sure about using it before I got my hands on it, nodes look so complicated! Don't worry though, with a bit of experimentation you should grasp the basics pretty quickly! Nodes are as simple or as complex as you want to make them! For very simple surfaces I'd still use layers just because they're so quick to set up but for anything more complex nodes all the way!

I can't say I'm as excited about APS, it works but it's a little complicated. In C4ds system you just turn it on and off you go in LW it seems you have to get it set up right. I think I need some tutorials because I've had some very odd results.

Layout OGL is GREAT! I can handle BIG scenes even with my puny machine and the viewports stay responsive, EXCELLENT if they can do the same in modeler WOOHOOOOO!

Render speed, wellllllllll...... if you're dealing with MASSIVE scenes you should see big improvements in render times, if not (like me) well you might not notice a difference, it does feel quicker but not OMG! quicker :)

I love it though, if they can REALLY nail stability this will be a fantastic update and remember there's more to come in the LW9 cycle, LW9.0 is just the tip of the iceberg!

faulknermano
05-27-2006, 01:52 AM
i suppose there arent any new news regarding lscript, is there?

*Pete*
05-27-2006, 02:07 AM
tell me more about the "studio menu config", what is it, how does it work and what does it do??

can you guys post screenshots of some of these functions?

a improvement in Layout OGL is superb, but i was hoping for a, say, 50% increase in speed...10 to 20 times increase of the speed must feel like you're sitting on a multi-million dollar supercomputer :dance:

i have ordered lw 9 (i did it last week), but my order wont be processed untill monday evening, im a little nervous about perhaps missing out with the LWCad deal that finishes at wednesday.

Celshader
05-27-2006, 02:13 AM
tell me more about the "studio menu config", what is it, how does it work and what does it do??

It's a killer config setup created by Digital Domain's Richard Morton and used in production for several years now. He wrote an overview about these configs here (http://www.roninfx.com/studiopromenus/).

:thumbsup:

gjjackson
05-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Studio config is just a menu arrangement that is more pratical that the default and I believe LW will have that as a default in the near future. Also you can import and export branches from the menu so when new installation you can import Those tabs that you define. A worthwhile feature.

SplineGod
05-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Another thing thats very nice but hasnt been mentioned much is the ability to save and reload Tabs. The DD configs are great but one of the potential problems I see is tutorials that use different configs. The Tab format will let you add in just the tabs you want if you have an overall setup you like. :)

shadersrjj
05-27-2006, 06:08 AM
In you are interested in nodes and nodal displacement you may wish to check out www.shaders.co.uk and look under IFW2 Nodal there's plenty of nodal surfaces and some displacements there.

RJJ
www.shaders.co.uk

Dexter2999
05-27-2006, 07:23 AM
So big scene= big change in render times, small scene= not so much. How about with volumetrics and radiosity with small poly count?

kfiram
05-27-2006, 07:49 AM
The good:
Nodes, speed (both display and render), workflow improvements, ZBrush support, APS, plus lots of new tools. Definitely the most feature-packed upgrade LightWave has ever gotten (and I've been there since the Amiga days...).

The bad:
Almost no modeling capability in layout (due to lack of selection tools), CCs and Edges still need work, no FPrime support as of now (Worley, please say something).

The ugly:
Still somewhat buggy and unstable.

DiedonD
05-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Here's a quicky (unfinished - but getting there) , modeled, animated and rendered in 9, all a tad faster than it would have taken me in 8 :D

I like it when its faster. But the complete none beta LW9 isnt out yet right? Or have I missed alot. Can I download the complete v9 now?

T-Light
05-27-2006, 11:07 AM
diedond-

Can I download the complete v9 now?
No, it's still in Beta, although as Chuck said yesterday, the next release to the beta testers will be part of the Release Candidate Series (No more Beta's, so to speak).

Not long now. :)

Wonderpup
05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
One thing I am really happy to see is the orthographic camera- not earth shattering, but I do a lot UI graphics and it's so nice not to have to pull the camera back past alpha centuri to get an ortho render.

Bog
05-27-2006, 02:12 PM
It's made out of Nine.

Nodes, Catmull-Clarke (>4 vertex) subpatches, APS (subpixel subdivision), Modelling in Layout, Production Layout, Uncle Tom Cobley and All.

We haven't had this many new features in a new release, EVER. It's bloody well MADE out of Nine. It's got it's Nines on, it's dressed to the Nines, it's Niney all the way out of it's Ninth Niney Nine.

Time to party like it's Niney Niney Nine.

It's NINEY. The new camera tools. The new Globals modes. The new content handling. The Content History. The Defaults. The fracking SPEED of the thing! It's like that film... "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down". Million and a half 'gons on a P4 laptop in about a minute.

Holy blap.

Really. It's made out of Nine, and it really is lovely. Yes, some gripes, but they're production-ready gripes, not showstoppers. It's Niney.

Mmm. Nine.

T-Light
05-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Bog, they ought to put your post on the fracking box :D

diedond-

Can I download the complete v9 now?
Sorry, I reread my original post and I was about as clear as whisky marmalade bought at a village fate.

I should have said YOU CAN download now if you purchase (or have purchased) an upgrade to 9, The current download available is the final Beta of LW9, the next download available will be a release candidate of LW9.

jcaesar
05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Lol Bog. Somehow I think I see a marketing campaign there...

"Buy Lightwave 9 -- It's Niney!"

Cheers,
J

colkai
05-30-2006, 05:29 AM
Nah,
Bog's just happy in his Nineyness. :)

I only do this stuff for fun, (err, yeah, I think it's still fun), but whoo boy, it is really difficult to switch back to 8.5 to do anything where I don't want to share stuff with other folks who are still non-Niney. :p

I can't say the layout OGL seems any faster to me, but then, I'm running a very low spec card and CPU so not too surprised. It feels slicker than snot on a shovel though and there has NEVER been a release so fundementally different from it's predecessors than LW9 is from LW8.5

Do I feel my pre-upgrade was worth it back in the distant past when I paid for the LW9 that has yet to go gold? Even though the wait has been long?
Totally, absolutely, no question, (even before I factor in the free Vue5I and LWCAD1.5). I ain't so naive as to think there are not gonna be bumps along the way and bugs to iron out all through the cycle, but I do not regret the upgrade and I will be pushing anyone I know who uses LW to upgrade if they haven't already, (and many have).

Bear in mind folks, the train is only just pulling up to the platform from the sidings. Who knows what Niney fun will await us at the end of the LW9.X cycle tracks! :D

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm quite happy with what Newtek are doing with LW ;) :p

warrenwc
05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
:agree:
I have had a great time participating in the beta & will do so again if given the chance.
Other programs have been released with more bugs than the Lightwave beta had when I finally signed on(build 8).
Open beta ROCKS & Lightwave Nine is amazing.
I recommend springing for the printed manual for this version, unless you're good with Heavy PDF reading.
By the way the Manual is looking great too.

Elmar Moelzer
05-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok, here are my opinions about LW9:

This is truly the best release LW has ever seen.
I love the faster rendering and the faster OpenGL. I love what NT did with Nodal, even though I wished some of the features of Nodal were available with classic surfacing too, which is still more intuitive and much quicker for me.
But I really really love the new capabilities we 3rd parties got in Layout.
Being able to create new geometry on the fly in Layout is a HUGE thing. I know most people are not to impressed, but I can tell you for 3rd parties this is a big, big improvement and I am sure we are going to see lots of new tools that make use of that soon.
The new renderer has a lot of potential too, IMHO. I have a few ideas what NT might do with it next and I am very excited!
CU
Elmar

Wonderpup
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Being able to create new geometry on the fly in Layout is a HUGE thing.

Hi Elmar,

Ever since I saw the annoucement about modeling tools in layout I've just assumed this meant animated modeling operations would be possible- is this your understanding also- or am I being unrealistic here?

walfridson
05-30-2006, 05:16 PM
or am I being unrealistic here?
yep ;)

My 9 is more stable than 8... Using radeon

Had alot of problem when selecting polys i 8 modeler, other stuff got selected... Not had this problem in 9 - so far :)

Tesselator
05-31-2006, 02:16 AM
Wow, this thread is heavily weighted toward the new Node Editing system!
That makes me feel really good!!! Thanks everyone! I know everyone
else involved with it feels the same and are really happy you're all so
happy with it!

Awesome! :thumbsup:

... For me nodal is very mathematical and scientific and for me it is a “try this and see what that does” kind of a proposition, so having real-time feedback via FPrime is crucial for me. (VIPER still sucks!) I can’t believe some of the Nodal networks some of the beta testers have created. Blows my mind! This thing is unbelievably capable of almost any effect.

Things are looking real good for the future of LW.

Cheers
Snos

;) The Mathimatical and scientific feeling of the Node Editor goes away
in large part after reading the manual. I'm using Viper for all my stuff.
I was able to write the manual with it and do some pretty exotic surfaces.
I'm sure it too will be improved as time goes on and be brought up to
an overall higher level of ability.

After a few hours of use and manual reading Nodes will always be faster,
more powerful, and more intuitive than layers which was the intent behind
adding it in! Just don't be afraid of the first few steps and the rewards
will be truely great.

Elmar Moelzer
05-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Hey Wonderpup!

It depends on how you look at it:
LW9 does not offer these by itself, but it lays the groundwork for this to be implemented by NewTek and 3rd parties.

E.g. in VoluMedic we can now create geometry (out of nothing) directly in Layout and we could do it animated too if we wanted to.

Think of things like geometry generated by a fluid dynamics system like Realflow being done directly in Layout without the need for object replacement. Tree- generators that dynamically generate trees, or Level Of Detail Plugins that dynamically reduce the polycount depending on distance to the camera are now possible. And much much more.
I am sure that we will soon see many, many 3rd party tools popping up that make use of this new feature.
CU
Elmar

cresshead
05-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Niney!

yup..went and ordered it today!:thumbsup:

hey can we have:-

'Niney reasons why to get it?'

:)

Castius
05-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Just in case anyone was wundering.

Modeler selection bug is gone!

No more poly selected out of the users view. Booyaa!!!!

Lewis
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM

if that's 100% true that's BEST news i had in months about LW :). This bug in 7.x--->8.5 driving me nuts every single day and I model 3-10 hours by day so you can imagine how much time i spend deselecting something i didn't wanted/selected anyway :).

--
Lewis

mattc
05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Lewis,

it's gone, mate ;)

M.

Lewis
06-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Lewis,

it's gone, mate ;)

M.

Great. I'm waiting my copy to test it by myself ;).

trick
06-01-2006, 05:27 AM
In the surface editor I can change a parameter (like diffuse value or color) for multiple surfaces at once. Can I do this in Nodal too ?

toby
06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I've been using [9] at work on and off for a few months now, and I get double and triple the render speed with almost every scene. Radiosity is usually about DOUBLE speed!

Another very cool thing is that when you are using multi-threading with Limited region, the region itself gets split up for each thread :)

NOT ONLY THAT! When one thread is done, another thread gets divided!! How cool is that??

Bog
06-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I heard reports of well over 1,000 bugs squished in Nine.

I've been using it on actual paid work, and it's such a powerhouse. Task big? Task small?

Task done.

I love it.

Exception
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
No, there's been 1000 reported bugs... not so many are fixed. We have a long ways to go, and it is unfair to the public to say that 9 is stable and resembling bug free.
The team is hard at work, I am sure, but there's still 450 bugs to deal with reported from march onward.

Tesselator
06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
No, there's been 1000 reported bugs... not so many are fixed. We have a long ways to go, and it is unfair to the public to say that 9 is stable and resembling bug free.
The team is hard at work, I am sure, but there's still 450 bugs to deal with reported from march onward.

Not sure where you are getting your information but it's wrong. There
HAVE been over 1000 bugs squashed and there is not 450 left
remaining.

It's not perfect yet but it is many many buttloads better and well on
the way.

Exception
06-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Information is straight out of the bug database tess.
No one is debating that LW 9 is a fine product, but we're not there yet.

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Well to be honest Tess only said that there wasnt 450 bugs left...
NOT 450 could mean 449, 451 or 4510.... ;)

dablan
06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Render Globals panel! Everything for your camera and render in one place. Beauty!

*Pete*
06-02-2006, 04:00 AM
could somebody explain more in detail (or post a screenshot) the modelling tools in layout, i know that it is still a work in progress, but id like to see what can do with them today.

my lw package is supposed to arrive today, this hour..perhaps it is already waiting for me in the post-office....but i cant stand waiting :(

besides, even if i get it now, it takes time to dl the beta, so...more info on the modelling tools in layout please :)

BazC
06-02-2006, 04:15 AM
could somebody explain more in detail (or post a screenshot) the modelling tools in layout, i know that it is still a work in progress, but id like to see what can do with them today.

Nothing! Well nearly nothing, you can create primitives but that's about it. As I understand it many tools work in Layout but there's no way to select geometry yet so you can't do anything with them. Don't worry, it's coming!

Remember folks LW9 is a work in progress, it's not finished yet and it won't be finished when 9.0 is released but it's ooooh so much better than 8 and I'm really excited to see what is coming later this year!

SplineGod
06-02-2006, 04:44 AM
Pete, Its pretty easy. Open up your current layout and thats 99% the same.
A lot of the modeling tools work but theres no interface for them. Even some 3rd party plugins Ive tried *work*. Its nice to know that its already happening.
You can create geometry as BazC mentioned and even create metaballs. You can also create skelegons, weight maps etc but no real good ways (yet) of editing anything.

*Pete*
06-02-2006, 04:50 AM
nearly nothing is still much better than absolutely nothing.

im not very intrested in any heavy modelling in layout, but id like to see if the ability to do so, even with primitives, would be usefull when you want to model something to match a photo that is taken at a angle.

if it is ONLY possible to model primitives (box, disk, ball and so on) i dont see the benefit of modelling in layout over creating and saving a primitive in modeller and then adjusting it to fit a photo in layout using the scale tool.

it will be intresting how far the modelling in layout will go before the end of the lw 9 cycle,

edit: modelling in layout is not hugely important for me, i just think about what kind of new possibilities they will give us

the post (with my lightwave package) should come any time now..within the hour, cant register for the beta before i get my hands on lw 8.5, so i hope i dont have to wait untill tomorow for it.

Elmar Moelzer
06-02-2006, 06:03 AM
As I said before the value of the new modeling functions in Layout for 3rd parties if huge and I am sure you will soon see a lot of 3rd party plugins that will make use of that (besides NewTek adding the missing features in LW9.x).
The really cool part is that many of the modeler plugins should already work fine in Layout.
CU
Elmar

Celshader
06-02-2006, 07:26 AM
As I said before the value of the new modeling functions in Layout for 3rd parties if huge and I am sure you will soon see a lot of 3rd party plugins that will make use of that (besides NewTek adding the missing features in LW9.x).
The really cool part is that many of the modeler plugins should already work fine in Layout.
CU
Elmar

Here's what I'm hoping will happen: a third-party plug-in that models custom camera optics for the user.

A co-worker remarked yesterday that he's never seen a 3D package go as deep as LightWave 9.0 in terms of matching real-world camera optics. He modeled a tiny rectangle of UV-mapped "film", then he modeled a UV-mapped "lens" with a certain curvature. He placed the lens mesh in front of the film mesh, and (using the Advanced Camera) fired off camera-rays from the film-mesh that were then directed through the lens mesh. He got the exact type of distortion he was after from his "camera lens."

So, it's now possible to recreate any type of real-world camera in LightWave. The tough part comes from figuring out what camera setup best matches a plate that you've been given. One could shoot a grid/test pattern with the production camera, and then try to match an undistorted version of that grid/image with a custom LightWave camera. It could still take some time to build a custom lens.

I'm hoping that some genius will program a 3rd-party database of lenses for LW9.0 that can be further tweaked right there in Layout, using Layout's Modeling Tools. That could make a lot of studios happy, since no plate is free from camera distortion.

radams
06-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Here's what I'm hoping will happen: a third-party plug-in that models custom camera optics for the user.

A co-worker remarked yesterday that he's never seen a 3D package go as deep as LightWave 9.0 in terms of matching real-world camera optics. He modeled a tiny rectangle of UV-mapped "film", then he modeled a UV-mapped "lens" with a certain curvature. He placed the lens mesh in front of the film mesh, and (using the Advanced Camera) fired off camera-rays from the film-mesh that were then directed through the lens mesh. He got the exact type of distortion he was after from his "camera lens."

So, it's now possible to recreate any type of real-world camera in LightWave. The tough part comes from figuring out what camera setup best matches a plate that you've been given. One could shoot a grid/test pattern with the production camera, and then try to match an undistorted version of that grid/image with a custom LightWave camera. It could still take some time to build a custom lens.

I'm hoping that some genius will program a 3rd-party database of lenses for LW9.0 that can be further tweaked right there in Layout, using Layout's Modeling Tools. That could make a lot of studios happy, since no plate is free from camera distortion.

Wow this is getting REAL cool...FYI, it is common to always shoot those charts...for each lens used in a production...at least I always request it as part of any setup and lens change. Even thou the same lenses can be close...each lens has its own properties...thus setting up and shooting the lens setups as you go is always helpful when compositing anyway...

But I like this option...now I can match in LW...instead of having to match in Fusion...
BTW I like your idea of creating a plugin to do this...

Any takers out there ?

Cheers,

Chuck
06-02-2006, 09:11 AM

Information is straight out of the bug database tess.
No one is debating that LW 9 is a fine product, but we're not there yet.

We stated very clearly in the posting to announce that Open Beta participants were free to talk about the features and usage of LightWave v9 that the testing and reporting activities of the Open Beta section were still confidential and the work of testing and fixing was continuing. If you misunderstood anything about that, I am clarifying it for you now - if your information had in fact been accurate, you would be violating your NDA. Do not discuss the confidential information from the Open Beta sections.

Now, so that these inaccuracies are not let stand - as you perfectly well know there have not been 1000 bug reports in open beta, by a wide margin. Of the reports that have been made, there are a good many duplicates, and a lot that have been addressed but not marked as such because in fact the system that we tried out for tracking bugs has been having problems, and our bug wrangling staff has not been able to update listings for a while. Reported bugs range from issues of long-standing present for several generations of the product to issues both created and resolved in the current cycle among the new features.

However there is a place where the number 1000 has a place when discussing bugs and the v9 cycle: as of last week during the development team meeting here in SA, the team had reached over 1000 bugs fixed in this cycle, many of them longstanding bugs. Both internal beta and Open Beta participants have been extremely happy with the effort and the results of the massive concentration on stability, and many of them have already pronounced v9 as the most stable LightWave ever, even in it's beta state.

dalecampbelljr
06-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Agree! this was awesome for me. Nodal is hot IMO