PDA

View Full Version : To edit H.264 using SpeedEdit ?

eon5
05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Its possible ?

Or i must to buy a finalcut system ?

Sony and Panasonic have together announced a new High Definition video recording format, AVCHD, that will use H.264 MPEG-4 to record to an 8 cm DVD. H.264 is also known as the Advanced Video Codec or the "AVC" part of the new format's name. The two companies plan to promote the format via licensing to other manufacturers. The MPEG-4 signal is carried in an MPEG-2 transport stream. This will require editing software developers to work on supporting as it would not be supported in any shipping product.

The new format supports all HD formats, including 1080i at 60 and 50 fields/sec, 1080P at 24 frames/sec, 720 P at 60, 50 or 24 frames/sec as well as "NTSC" and "PAL" frame size and rate. Color is sampled at 4:2:0 at 8 bits. The 1080 frame size can be either true 1920 x 1080 or the more common 1440 x 1080 with non-square pixels. Maximum bit rate is 18 Mbit/sec, just a little below the HDV 1 (720P) specification of 19 Mbit/sec. H.264 is considered to be twice as efficient at encoding as MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 Simple Profile.

The format employs Dolby Digital (AC-3) or Linear PCM for audio codec at . This makes it possible to develop HD video camera recorders which achieve compact size as well as high-quality video and audio.

From the press release and descriptions of the two companies in the release, it seems that this new format is designed for the consumer/prosumer market rather than as a direct replacement for HDV, although it could have some low end applications. A disc-based HD camcorder for consumer/prosumer use makes sense where P2 media would be problematic (not to mention expensive) and the lack of an archive even more of an issue.

Paul Lara
05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Its possible ?
The MPEG-4 signal is carried in an MPEG-2 transport stream. This will require editing software developers to work on supporting as it would not be supported in any shipping product.

We'll never know until they actually ship the camera, but SpeedEDIT does offer native support for MPEG-2 transport streams (m2t).

eon5
05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Tkx Paul:

QuickTime 7 features a state-of-the-art video codec called H.264, which delivers stunning quality at remarkably low data rates.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/h264/

SpeedEDIT does offer native support for MPEG-4 ?

John Perkins
05-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Yes, it supports MPEG4 natively.

I'm not positive on H.264, but I think we should be able to handle that also.

ScorpioProd
05-27-2006, 11:00 AM
H.264, also known as MPEG-4 Part 10, also known as AVC, is one of the three compression formats in the specs for both new high definition DVD formats, so I'm sure it will be supported by SpeedEDIT.

And though it is known more from the Apple QuickTime side of the computing world, QuickTime is not the only way to encode H.264. There are AVI versions of it as well. Remember, QuickTime and AVI are really just wrappers.

eon5
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
exactly

MAIN CONCEPTS īs SDK is just one of this

The MainConcept H.264/AVC SDK offers fast encoding and decoding speeds in all profiles and levels supported by the standard.

The SDK encodes and decodes H.264/AVC video, making it easy to add support for this exciting new format to existing applications.

The SDK consits of a low-level API (in C programming language) as well as DirectShow filters for decoding and encoding H.264 frames.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=4786

cholo
05-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Paul,

Does it support canon's 24f m2t files? And how well does it handle the native m2t files? They seem to tax the processor a lot and bring things to an unusable crawl on regular apps like After Effects. Does it have some weird voodoo under the hood?

tmon
05-29-2006, 01:37 AM
One of the reasons why I'm pulling for H.264 is that it has a consortium of parties behind it, not just one large behemoth (i.e. Microsoft HDWMV).....

Along these lines, NewTek should definitely be supporting it.

Paul Lara
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Does it support canon's 24f m2t files? And how well does it handle the native m2t files? They seem to tax the processor a lot and bring things to an unusable crawl on regular apps like After Effects. Does it have some weird voodoo under the hood?

Cholo,
I was using m2t files extensively during my NAB demos, and it is quite responsive! I don't think the frame-rate of the file should matter much.

cholo
05-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Sounds great! All we need now is a shipping date.

ScorpioProd
05-30-2006, 03:33 PM
You've got one: "Summer".

wvp
05-31-2006, 07:11 AM
You've got one: "Summer".
It was 94 degrees here yesterday, feels like summer :)