PDA

View Full Version : Tedit plays slowly / stutters

harley
02-17-2003, 03:49 PM
When I play back a 2 hour project in TEdit, the project stutters occasionally and is sluggish. It does not have a lot of layered effects, mostly a 2 camera wedding and some fades and effects and titles. Any ideas? Thanks!

SBowie
02-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by harley
When I play back a 2 hour project in TEdit, the project stutters occasionally and is sluggish. It does not have a lot of layered effects, mostly a 2 camera wedding and some fades and effects and titles. Any ideas? Thanks!

Harley, can you tell us a bit about your system? CPU(s), RAM, config, video file format you'e using (RTV, DV-AVI...

harley
02-18-2003, 04:39 AM
My system seems fast enough:

Dual 2.2 ghz Xeon with 1 gb RAM
80 gb Seagate 7200 rpm
nvidia GeForce4MX
(5x120 gb) 600 gb Western Digital 7200 rpm IDE array
current build 3866 (the one after 3718)
rtv file format

I don't need to render a project like this do I? And, would that even eliminate the problem?

SBowie
02-18-2003, 07:20 AM
Dual 2.2 ghz Xeon with 1 gb RAM
80 gb Seagate 7200 rpm
nvidia GeForce4MX
(5x120 gb) 600 gb Western Digital 7200 rpm IDE array
current build 3866 (the one after 3718)
rtv file format
Sounds reasonable. Let's start by assuming you have done the usual stuff correctly- indexing off, appropriate Prefs settings, Cache set to a fast, large volume, etc.

You don't mention what sort of disk speed you're getting from the IDE RAID. It may not be as good as a SCSI one would be, but I would expect it to be adequate given that your project is not composed of a lot of layers, hence a lot of simultaneous streams. Again, I'm assuming your Prefs include CPU and PCI limits that reflect the capability of your system, with a little measure for conservatism; and that the stuttering is not because you're running it while BG rendering is in progress.

Still, at the end of the day, two hours is a very long project. All other factors being equal, my money would be on RAM as the bottleneck. Another gig might make the difference.

I don't need to render a project like this do I? And, would that even eliminate the problem?
Well, in all likelhood it would, but it would be nice if you didn't have to, right? And really, the Prefs settings should be bringing BG rendering into play as necessary to avoid this necessity. It would be interesting to see what your Windows Task Mgr. shows in the Performance tab at those places where you're seeing glitching.

What about busting it up into a few SubProjects, laying them off separately - not an option?

johnnylandrover
02-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Harley,

johnnylandrover
02-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Harley,
I have done about 10 long projects on the T2 (1:45:00 was the longest) and the best way to play back a project to tape that I have found is to go into pref and set ted cache pci bandwith setting lower than what your system says it can do only after you finish the project. My system says 80MB per sec but when i finish a long project I set it to 60 per sec, close T2 start it back up then the t2 background renders out your project. Don't play the project untill the green light goes on in ted and it should play back perfect, even those multy layed scenes. When you start your next project set it back to it's original position.

Good luck,

Johnny

SBowie
02-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by johnnylandrover
My system says 80MB per sec but when i finish a long project I set it to 60 per sec

Autoconfig settings should only be taken as a 'guess-timate' at the best of times The throughput rate will vary significantly across the entire volume. A stripeset that shows 80megs/sec in a short test may well fall 'into the red' here and there during a longer run. That's likely what you're seeing. I like to run a full length test, and load the results into a spreadsheet. It can be surprising sometimes...

harley
02-19-2003, 04:30 AM
I checked all my settings per the last reply from Steve, and everything looks fine. After running config, my speed says 100mb in preferences. I will drop that down to 80 and try to play the project again per Johnny. I will let you know if that takes care of it.

harley
02-19-2003, 07:19 AM
I tried adjusting settings and it is still a problem. The problem seems to occur in a similiar area each time, roughly 40 to 55 seconds into the TEdit project when playing (the area changes each time I load the project in and play it). The timeline is moving along and then I can see it pause for around a second or two and then continue. It is happening in my title screen area with transitions. The odd thing is that when I play it in the DDR - no problem. So it must be something in TEdit? Any ideas?

Prosprctor
02-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Don't know if this helps but mine does the same Unitill I remember to CTRL-ALT-DEL then turn off the DVD recorder and the IN-CD program...it keeps wanting to check the CD player to see if a CD is in there. then all playes fine..
Maby that helps

stoolpigeon
02-19-2003, 11:12 AM
If you are still having problems with the project where your CG's come up, make sure that your CG file has been copied to your Video Drive. It will play faster.

SBowie
02-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Prosprctor
Don't know if this helps but mine does the same Unitill I remember to CTRL-ALT-DEL then turn off the DVD recorder and the IN-CD program...it keeps wanting to check the CD player to see if a CD is in there. then all playes fine..
Maby that helps

Packet writing software like InCD is a well-known no-no for Toasters. I would never install it, and I'm sure most other dealers feel similarly. It's really not necessary to burn CD's anyway, so is a small loss.

harley
02-19-2003, 11:45 AM
CG pages are on my video drive E inside their own folder. Should I leave them outside a folder and just stored directly on the drive? All of my DVEs are also on the video drive inside their own folder. Any problem with doing that for either item?

The last project I did had no problems accessing them.

My TEdit project folders are stored in a folder on my C: hard drive - is this fine? All of the video and stills are on E.

mgrusin
02-19-2003, 10:53 PM
As long as your CG pages are somewhere on the video drive, you're good (doesn't matter if it's in a subdirectory or not).

Probably not your issue, but I've seen TEd stutter during playback when I accidentally let the mouse rest on a file in the filebin, at which point VT tries to preview the file in the icon, and all heck breaks loose.

When I play back, especially for a final dump to tape, I make sure to put the mouse in a safe spot, and also set the keyboard well back (so I don't have a senile moment and hit the space bar to make the monitor wake up :p ).

Other stuff - not getting any low physical memory warnings, are you? Have you tried the "render this section" FX below the offending area, or is the area different each time? When you load your project, are you waiting for the green light to come on, -and- your hard drive light to stop blinking? (Mine can blink for many minutes when loading a long project, I have playback problems if I don't wait for it to stop).

Good luck! -MG

ted
02-20-2003, 03:18 AM
Just my humble opinion, but if you have your GFX and your DVE's on your video drive, that will tie up more bandwidth from your video flow. Only so much data can pass through that path.

I have my GFX and DVE's on a separate drive.
Plus if you need to re-format the Video Drives, you won't lose all that data.

thebarbs
02-21-2003, 02:52 PM
:) There seems to be another issue somewhere. I am running dual XEON 2.4's with 1.2 gigs of RAM and a IDE array (Western Digital 8mb cache) 500 gigs.
I have tested the system several different ways. I made a 35 minute program with 8 different layers AND different speeds of video, all of this was unrendered and the toaster played back without a problem. It wasn't until I added an eight layer and lengthened several of the transistions (ridiculously long) that it started dropping frames and stuttering. It took about 3 weeks (because I built it myself) to make adjustments to the setttings. Your best shot? Set everything to "no limit" then the computer runs everything to the max that it can. If your system is built with the proper bios and hardware updates, it should run fine.
Recently I edited a 2 hour TV special with 4 different layers and had no problem with rendering. ???? Maybe God is looking out for me?? Good Luck!:confused:

harley
02-24-2003, 01:10 PM
I tried all of the above and no luck. I rendered the entire project and now it plays fine. Hopefully the next one does not have this problem. Thanks for the help from everybody.