05-26-2006, 10:42 AM
:thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51396

KillMe
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
its the beta people are now allowed to talk forum

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes we are. Read the post in the OB forum.

LW_Will
05-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Let me get this straight...

I get my LWv9beta and I cannot get into the forums because the beta is over?!

Oh, man...

LW_Will... who is really happy about that...

Carm3D
05-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't think the beta is over.. But it's almost over.

kylekoch
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Let me get this straight...

I get my LWv9beta and I cannot get into the forums because the beta is over?!

Oh, man...

LW_Will... who is really happy about that...

No, the forum is still to be used for the beta testing, and the beta is not over. They are however moving into the last phase and that is great news.
Im amazed at the users on the beta forum are so incredibly knowledgable. I have learned lots! Thank you newtek, the open beta is the way to go, seeing how many true experts there are out there. Oh and put me down as being very optimistic about lw9, Im loving it.
kyle

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Surprised there aren't more questions here. Hmm.

Wickster
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
JEZZA!!! you have just opened a can of worms!!!! :D hehehe.

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Hehe. Sorry. Eager to talk about what has remained unspoken before. :D

ShawnStovall
05-26-2006, 12:54 PM
We have been confined to that little section of the forum. We want to talk!

lion111
05-26-2006, 01:05 PM
hi
so what about the little secrets we non betas dont know about
just watched the demo movies
there is more is there?

ShawnStovall
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Just, ask away. I think that is too general.

slatr
05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
I just bought the upgrade and don't have access to the beta forum yet.

Is there a good way to report a possible bug until I get access?

Thanks,

Brian

ShawnStovall
05-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Sorry, bug reporting is constrained only to the Beta forums.

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 01:38 PM
or direct email to :newtek:

slatr
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Would you be willing to test my scene with 9?

I see rendering or geometry errors on 9 I don't see on 7.5.

It is a variation of the glass lighting challenge on CGtalk.

Sarford
05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Can somebody post some pictures made with 9? Maybe a nice SSS one or something else to show off the new render engine?

*drool*

nomad108
05-26-2006, 02:06 PM
There are two reasons for not asking questions; already knowing everything there is to know and not knowing enough to know where to begin. I fall into the second group. :bangwall:

*Pete*
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Can somebody post some pictures made with 9?

there is a LW 9 gallery open now...

there are so many questions i had planned to find answers to when i get my hands on LW9, but now....i cant think of a single question, my brain went totally empty as soon as i saw this thread :)

slatr
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
The Nodal editing is very cool.

I was playing with it last night and got some interesting results. I have a lot to learn about using them, but it feels very flexible. LOTS and Lots of new surfacing possibilities. :thumbsup:

Now I just need to see why 9 doesn't like my geometry. I wonder if 9 handles glass type materials differently??

*Pete*
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
so, when you lw9 guys start producing tutorials??

btw, how much faster is LW9??...does the speed improvements speed up FPrime?? (not likely, but i have to ask)

im also intrested in the camera tools, all of them

Wickster
05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Are beta testers actually allowed to answer questions now? I think most are itching to say something but still afraid to, because of the NDA. Chuck? Kurtis? Marvin? can you please open the gate so the beasts can play? :D

I am surprised though that this forum hasn't go up in flames though...where is everybody? They're still probably in the beta forum and not looking anywhere else. It's like thats their little own world.

slatr
05-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Chuck has a post in the update section

"In conjunction with this milestone, we are also pleased to announce that concurrent with OB 12 and for the RC builds, our Open Beta Participants are now free to publicly discuss LightWave v9 (please note the Open Beta sections will still be private, as we still need to work with the Open Beta group for testing there, and will be reserving the sections for future use, as Open Beta programs will now be standard practice)."

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 03:05 PM
slatr, on that note, I think the things related to using 9beta (such as problems with geometry or scenes) still need to be kept to the OB forums. This is more for non-users to get some insight I think.

But I'm no mod or lawyer, so who knows. But I'd post the scene there. I don't have the latest build yet, and won't for a few days, so I'm not one to test your stuff.

Wickster
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks slatr!!!
By the way you think nodes is cool? You've only seen the nodes that Newtek gave us...have you seen the awesome nodes that the other beta testers have created? Wow...I'll let them know this thread is up so maybe they can shed more light on the subject.

so, when you lw9 guys start producing tutorials??

btw, how much faster is LW9??...does the speed improvements speed up FPrime?? (not likely, but i have to ask)

im also intrested in the camera tools, all of them
Tutorials: To tell you the truth there hasn't been that much tutorials written. "BUT" notice i wrote "written," the majority of the tutorials you will probably see in the future are screenshots. As you know by now Node editing are one of the best thing to happen in this update. Well trying to figure out how one user came up with a particular setting all they need to show you now is a screenshot of the node connections.

I can't say anything about FPrime because I'm one of the endangered species who don't have it yet. But as far as I know increase in FPrime's speed is dependent of Worley. There hasn't been any update on FPrime as of late and many users are not happy about it. So maybe Worley is just waiting for the official LW9 release.

One more thing I think people should know though. The beta testing LW9 was the most learning experience and the most inspirational experience I had in a long time.

The tools were great but the testers and users who wisely created unimaginable things with a beta software was the best. People helping people, developers chatting and giving tips to the users and even sharing codes to help plugin developers. Testers with coding background creating awesome shaders and new nodes (it's like if you can think it, they can make it). And just all the people who created wonderful art was just inspiring...you wouldn't believe it "yet" but somebody even created a very awesome short film...all with LW9 beta.

Its truly a community on its own, so if the opportunity to beta test LW10 I suggest joining up. The experience was just awesome.

***Exhales**** great to have that off my chest. :D

oDDity
05-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Surprised there aren't more questions here. Hmm.

Ok then, tell me everything you know about LW9. Leave nothing out.

walfridson
05-26-2006, 03:42 PM
"Render globals" :)

Wickster
05-26-2006, 03:48 PM
"Render globals" :)
Did you mean the "Global globals"? :D

*Pete*
05-26-2006, 03:51 PM
"all they need to show you now is a screenshot of the node connections"

awesome, nodes seem to be very complicated and very simple the same time, but i bet there is a lot to learn.

about FPrime, i expected that answer, but had to ask ;)

can you post screenshots of LW9 layout, modeller.

and that brings up the question...MODELLER TOOLS IN LAYOUT!!..what functions are in layout? screenshots are wellcome.

tell me all about them, and other new things with LW9

Wickster
05-26-2006, 04:21 PM
a lot to learn is an understatement...for me at least. There are justusers out there who went in the node editor for the first time and you know...they just got it...just like that. I went in there and and I was more like...what the??? where do these go??? why would i wanna do that??? whoa!!! Cool!!!...i wish i paid attention in math class.

The layout of the GUI is pretty much the same with some minor user tweaking ability added. Some tools, switches, buttons and windows have been moved around. Some will throw you off a little but you'll understand the reason why and get used to it right away. There are now more layout settings to choose from and one that seems to be loved by many users.

I've been drowning myself in modeler more than layout so I can't really say much about the modeling tools in layout. Except maybe its not done yet. The foot is in the door, but i think the developers' concentration as of late was squashing bugs so it should on the 9.x release. Then again the last couple of beta release was surprising so I could be wrong.:D

(I guess I'm the only one here who isn't testing at the moment to answer questions...maybe its because I'm at work and using company hours to help you all out. hehehe :D )

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Nodal is just brilliant. Before, your procedural textures needed to be combined with weight maps or texture maps and a fair bit of work to not be procedural-looking.

Now, you can pipe one texture into the scale of another texture and you already have something dynamic and varying.

Plus, when you have an image map that you're using for diffuse, specular, etc., you don't have to copy and paste the layer into each channel. literally you just connect the dots and the image is in all of them. want it inverted in the diffuse channel? no prob. drop an invert node between the dots.

so much simpler. so much more powerful.

*Pete*
05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
heheh wickster, i spend my working hours for daydreaming.

so, you spent most of your time with lw9 in modeller, there was not very many videos showing anything from modeller so i dont know exactly what to ask for about it, i'd be very happy to hear anything that you found usefull with lw9's modeller.

i bet the new subpatch tools are usefull, anyway..tell me all you found so far about modelling with lw9

jeremyhardin; the nodal sounds better and better to my ears.

to all others, dont wait for us to ask questions about functions that we know nothing of, please, just tell us ALL that you have found in lw9, be it advanced nodal surfacing or be it simple pink-colored nulls in layout...it doesnt matter what, as long it is new for us non-beta-testers :)

Wickster
05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
I think layout got most of the updates but modeler was the most worked on core...i think.
Well for one thing edges does change everything. Edge Weighing changes that a bit further. Some of us where wondering what the difference between point weighing and edge weighing but it was finally explained with matching screenshots, it opened a whole new world of possibilities. It's hard to explain without screenshots...I hope somebody can help me out with that. Edges and CCs are probably the biggest feature on modeler. I guess implementing these took most of the time out of the programmers.

I think the programmers have set up the stage for something BIG on these LW9.X releases. So there's so many things to get excited about (for me at least). Quiting time!!! I'll post more later once I have LW9 up so I can explain with pictures. :D

Bytehawk
05-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Anyone who decided to wait and upgrade later really has missed all the fun.

Nodes alone are worth the upgrade price. Let alone APS, Zbrush support, edges, CC subd's,.....

jeremyhardin
05-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Nodes alone are worth the upgrade price. Let alone APS, Zbrush support, edges, CC subd's,.....

agreed...and agreed.
:agree:

:thumbsup: :newtek:

warrenwc
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
I'll third that, & nodes can also be used for displacement! AND volumetric lights!

lwaddict
05-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Pics should be getting posted by the truckload.

LW9 has truly been a joy to work with through it's beta phase...I don't even know where to start talking about it aside from the amazing and not yet fully tapped power of the nodals themselves...and that's just the cherry on top, really!

Kuzey
05-28-2006, 02:38 AM
What about the LW app/file icons, have they changed/updated or do we need to wait for the release version to find out. I know they make a start on the PC icon atleast...but I want to see more :hey:

Kuzey <- A Mac beta tester who couldn't actually beta test becuase of outdated hardware :screwy:

lwaddict
05-28-2006, 07:37 AM
Normal displacement using APS to control the location of more dense subpatch freezing is kewl...
one of my favorites so far aside from nodes.

I think there was/is/will be a focus on the nodes for awhile since they appear to be quite limitless in possibilities...
I've said it in the beta forums, and I'll say it again here...

I don't think that even Newtek fully realizes the potential of the nodes beast they've unleashed...it'll be interesting to see all the ways that the users themselves come up with to use this new weapon in the Newtek arsenal.

Oh, there are a ton of other things in the LW9 package...but someone's gotta start stirring the pot with more specific questions...yeah, there really is that much going on.

Hang in there,

LW

Dave Jerrard
05-28-2006, 03:29 PM
or direct email to :newtek:
[email protected] to be precise. :)

[email protected] works too, but that's not for bugs. (betcha didn't know that ;))

He Who Has A Few Ideas He Should Submit Again.