PDA

View Full Version : Hoodwinked - worst movie I have not completely watched in years.

ACLOBO
05-25-2006, 05:15 PM
The title just about says it all. I rented this with my girlfriend a couple of weekends ago and watched about 15 minutes before turning it off, puting it in the case and returning it to Blockbuster.

This has to be the first movie I have simply stopped watching and put back in the case to be returned in I don't know how long.

It was just bad....

Bad animation, bad writing and bad singing just totally emulated nails on a chalkboard for me.

Unless you completely and totally think that CG is cool and you must watch everything that is CG (read: kiddies) then I think you need to save your money and not even bother with this. I am happy I didn't go to see it in the theater (did it play in theaters?).

-Adrian

JeffRutan
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I pretty much agree with you on all counts here.
However, my wife and I watched the DVD all the way to the bitter end. It was painful at first, but then I started enjoying pointing out all the bad CG! I can't believe they published such work that most here in this forum would be ashamed of! If I had worked on it, I would not want my name in the credits and I am just a relative beginner! Whatever software they used must not have any way to deal with deformation/pinching and/or the whole 3D team was a bunch of beginning art students. Just about every scene had errors that would be ripped to shreds in the WIP forum here!
Plus the musical score was irritating and inappropriate and the story was lame. As a 3D enthusiast, I do like to see all CG animation movies, but there are some real stinkers out there. It does make you appreciate the brilliance and talent of the team at Pixar!
Very glad I did not waste theater tickets on this one!
-Jeff

SplineGod
05-26-2006, 12:16 AM
On the upside the movie did very well financially. From that standpoint is gives hope that other people with better ideas but not a lot of cash can do well. :)

DragonFist
05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
I have to side with splinegod on that. I cringed at a lot of the 3D (not that I consider my efforts all that much better at this point but I haven't put it on the big screen either.) However, Hoodwinked does stand as an example that one doesn't have to spend multimillions to get a CG movie out the door and make money on it. And that give me some hope at least in my dillusions of granduer.

And there were a couple of moments that were kinda funny.

SplineGod
05-26-2006, 01:25 AM
(I still think it was a pretty bad movie though) ;)

DragonFist
05-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Sorry, if I came across as arguing that :D

I wasn't. It was pretty bad. I was dumb enough to see it in the theater and wish I had waited for video.

For some reason, the wolf and the bunny got a couple of minor laughs out of me but most of the time, I was watching my watch.

However, one does have to look at things from a marketing view and there is a commentary to make on the fact the this movie was a financial success. One can complain about it but people do watch Bay Watch and American Idol but didn't run in droves to Serenity, Firefly got cancelled and so did the original Star Trek series :screwy:

The Original Highlander bombed at the box office, Tom Selek was almost Indiana Jones and there is a Land Before Time ten.

But I digress, point is, there is always going to be various audiences to pander to and if they'll chuck out the money for Hoodwinked (and the sequel that will inevitably be made) then I don't blame them for doing it.

shockwave
05-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I could tell from the previews and trailers that ran on tv that it was junk so I never even considered to ever see it. I rented Final Fantsy 7 instead.

dablan
05-28-2006, 09:32 PM
The animation work was outsourced to a factory in India. There was an article about it in Post or something recently. Frankly, I thought it was a joke when the previews came online. But good for them I guess, they're laughing all the way to the bank.

We did not bother to see it.

Over the Hedge on the other hand - top notch.

Cars - I can't wait to see.

Silkrooster
05-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Over the Hedge on the other hand - top notch.

Cars - I can't wait to see.
I would love to see them myself.
Silk

SplineGod
05-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Actually the animation was done mostly in the phillipines. There are people on this forum who have worked on character based shows that got badly slammed. We dont know the constraints they were under and it suprises me to see them being critical when theyve been in the situation of having their animation work criticized. The bottom line is these guys spent years sweating to get the film produced. The got it made and a decent number of people liked it (probably kids) and put some people to work.
Theres a whole spectrum of films that play to particular audiences. I know some people who dont like animation at all or certain types, styles etc.
If you want to see what the director of Hookwinked had to say read this:
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011029#000000

Theres a ton of animated stuff I see on TV that I hate, disklike and love but I wish those people the best
of luck simply because a bad day animating is better then a good day flipping burgers (unless you are into that).
It puts people to work and Im sure most of us would probably have jumped at a chance to work on hoodwinked
given the opportunity and better pay. It pays the bills and doesnt necessarily have to go on a demo reel. :)

shockwave
05-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Well said sir.:agree:

richgrafx
05-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I liked it. My daughter and I had some good laughs. Time and money well spent.

radams
05-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Well, I would agree that it wasn't the BEST movie going...but I grew up on Rocky and Bullwinkle...and part of that was fractured fairy tales...

Now this was NOT good animation...and the fairy tales were fractured... which hoodwinked reminded of...thou it was VERY over the top...and an hour 20 minutes longer.

I guess I'm showing my age now... ;)

Cheers,

faulknermano
05-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Actually the animation was done mostly in the phillipines.

and i know several of the people who worked on it personally. as part of the local industry we slam them ourselves. but again, we do that from the standpoint of being local just making fun of our competition. we'd do the same even if the work was actually outstanding.

i agree completely with larry's comments. to add to that, even, is the fact that you cant really judge the final output by the artists' abilities alone. management problems, politics, and what-have-yous, can easily have ruined the whole process. it's nice to believe that managing a group of ten is as simple as 50, or even 100 people. but it's not.

on the other hand, i am smiling. for the local custom here, as typified by the country's culture, is to put down the other guy to make oneself look good (as opposed to being just a better professional). i feel, strongly, that the only criticism the local industry here will take are those coming from a foreign country. but then again, maybe not. here be egos.

dablan
05-29-2006, 08:57 PM
...is the fact that you cant really judge the final output by the artists' abilities alone. management problems, politics, and what-have-yous, can easily have ruined the whole process.

You can say that again. I worked on a TV show in 99, with a great bunch
of artists. We had the tools, the man power, but politics took over,
and many of us could not do our jobs completely. The end result was
less than stellar.

...as typified by the country's culture, is to put down the other guy to make oneself look good (as opposed to being just a better professional).

This is human nature. I've been on the receiving end negativity from competition many times.

Beaker
05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
On the upside the movie did very well financially.

Is it possible for a movie with Patrick Warburton to do poorly? :hey:

SplineGod
05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Very good question... :)

Lamont
05-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Some movies have a narrow audience, kids will like it for sure. When I watch movies that are for kids, I don't exspect much.

That's what bugs me about movie "reviews". C'mon, you're reviewing a movie for a kid.

Brian Arndt
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I thought the plot was done well for Hoodwinked. It was pretty funny. Animation wasnt very good though. Overall though i liked it, but nothing really new.

Over the Hedge was hilarious! Animation was really good too! I rate it up there with Shrek easily. I went to see it twice already!

ACLOBO
06-01-2006, 09:10 PM
first of all, I am entitled to my opinion on something I rented. It stated on the cover that is was the funniest animated movie since Shrek. I wanted to watch some funny animation and I was disappointed. I think it is great that a bunch of people actualyl produced this and made money on it. Kudos for them. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion that it was poorly written and the animation was robotic and stiff at times. I had expectations based on the marketing hype that geared it toward a broader audience. Shrek was not for kiddies. THere was a lot of adult humor in it. This movie was marketed as comparable to Shrek.

I got hooked by marketing hype (I would guess that this is why it has done so well). I should know better than to pay attention to what is on the cover. Some might say Wallace and Grommit is for kiddies. I disagree. Anything that has adult inuendos is for adults. Look at old Warner brother cartoons and the very old Popeye cartoons. If you listen to the unedited version of Popeye, you can hear him swearing under his breath. :-)

If I pay for something, I can have an opinion. That is all I was stating. Perhaps my opinion was too strong and offended some. I apologize for you feeling badly because you liked it or knew someone who worked on it. If it worked for you and entertained you, then that is great. It did not sit well with me. I was ready to relax and watch some funny animation. Instead, I watched it for 15 minutes and decided to take it back to Blockbuster to get something else. I was in relax and unwind mode. Having to take it back upset me further.

Fortunately, I had beer to calm me down. :-)

-Adrian

SplineGod
06-01-2006, 09:52 PM
You are totally entitled to your views on it. I dont think anyone was offended.
I probably wouldnt rent it either because I personally didnt like it. :)

faulknermano
06-01-2006, 10:20 PM
If I pay for something, I can have an opinion.

i'm not sure what this signifies in a universal point of view. hehehe. :D

CrazyGiraffe
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I loved the entire thing, and i dont think that the animation was that bad, it's not "Top Notch" but it was very funny and entertaining, so it's east to look past the so called "Bad animation" I saw it in the theater and rented the DVD, and I have a strong intent to buy it. and yes it is a kid movie, but i'm a teenager, does that count as a kid?:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WhiteBoy
06-05-2006, 04:52 AM
The movie was a good effort. And those guys are certainly better animators than I am. ;)

I "watched" the movie a few weeks ago. I got a few minutes into it before I pulled out my lappy and started doing research on it (I'm such a geek). The story could have worked for me, it's just a shame that some of the humor was ruined because I had a difficult time getting past the bad animation.

ACLOBO
06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
ON a similar note, I just watched DOOGLE. This is also a movie that could be seen as geared toward kids. However, I found this film to be cute and worth watching. I found the animation really well done - especially when it came to giving character and life to the train in the movie. Chevy Chase was the voice for this little locomotive and some of the emotive gestures of the train were excellent in my opinion. Now I don't think I will be buying it, but I did watch the entire thing.

-Adrian

John Jordan
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Splinegod opined: "I wish those people the best
of luck simply because a bad day animating is better then a good day flipping burgers (unless you are into that)."

I think that says it all, Splinegod. I like that quote so much I may put it on a t-shirt. It's definitely going on my wall.

JJ

DragonFist
06-05-2006, 04:40 PM
I wanted to say that I wasn't trying to hit the original poster's opinion of the movie. My feelings are mixed on it really. Thought the animation was poor and much of the humor was lost on poor timing but it did have some good moments and laughes. Just not even close to Shrek. Too be honest, I felt the same about Doogle. Animation was better but not great and pacing was slow and some performances were stiff.

But I do feel that there is a place for this type of animation. It is more of a direct to DVD type in my opinion but it has its place -- like Land before Time sequels. Nothing really wrong with truth be told, but even the producers knew that there was a point where they didn't belong in the theaters anymore because they weren't the same level or production as the first one was.

But Hoodwinked went to the theaters and Final Fantasy 7: Avent Children was direct to DVD. Oh well.

SplineGod
06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
LOL, John, send me one! :)

Wickster
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
@ SplineGod and John Jordan

LOL :D
I could tell you right now you ain't getting served at your local McDonalds wearing that shirt. Or you might get the Special combo meal that is not on the menu. hahaha.

But I'd love to get one em shirts if you make them. :)

Kurtis
06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
But Hoodwinked went to the theaters and Final Fantasy 7: Avent Children was direct to DVD. Oh well.

Although Advent Children was visually impressive, I think this was the right move for this project. Spirits Within had a much more "American" storyline than Advent Children, and look at how poorly it did. It seems pretty well concluded that the film did not do well because American audiences weren't able to connect with the storyline. I think a theatrical release of Advent Children would have suffered an even worse fate for the same reason.

ACLOBO
06-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I would agree with Kurtis. While Advent Children was technically impressive (In some ways). I don't think it would have done well in theaters since the last movie bombed and the storyline was really one for the hard-core Final Fantasy VII fans.

Doogle was stiff in some ways and some of the displacement (dynamics) for the snow looked a little off. I just liked some moments in it (especially for imparting (cartoon) life-like emotions to an inanimate object; the train.

While a big fan of Final Fantasy, I have not bought Advent children yet. As much as I liked watching it, flash and glitter is not enough for me to easy part with my dollars. I like good stories - whether they are packed with action, drama, mystery, comedy, horror or whatever.

As far as the quote about animation or making burgers.. I think I make better burgers than I can animate, yet I enjoy both. :thumbsup:

Now, if I can only get a job ANIMATING burgers..... :hey:

-Adrian

Lamont
06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
flash and glitter is not enough for me to easy part with my dollars.I think so, I've bought stuff just to look at. Story is like the back seat at that point. I've bought games just to look at.

Andyjaggy
06-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I liked it, I thought it was rather clever. Okay I could have done without the really cheasy and bad songs, and a lot of the animation was just, well bad. However overall I thought the story and plot was rather clever and there were some parts that I thought were hillarious. The woodsman and schnitzel part for example was awesome. just my two cents.

ACLOBO
06-06-2006, 01:05 PM
MMMMmmmm Schnitzel...... MMMMMmmmmmm sandwich...

-Adrian