PDA

View Full Version : Creating Fingers for a Character Model

danielh68
05-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I'm LW building my first model. Anyhow, I the picture below illustrates, the hand has no fingers. I've tried a couple different methods but to no satisfaction:

http://www.blitzdesign.net/tektips/model_fingers.jpg

1. Smooth Shift - my problem with this is that I only have two polygons, which will make the hand have to large fingers as opposed to five.

2. Knife - I figure I could knife 3 additional vertical segments to give me 4 polygons, which then would allow me to Smooth shift them into 4 fingers. However, since I'm not knifing from a front view (but rather at an eskewed side angle) the knife job is funcky and non-workable.

Again, I'm a newbie, so there's probably a solution I'm completely ingnorant of.

Thanks in advance -- Dan

bloontz
05-28-2003, 12:50 PM
You could use bandsaw twice laterally along the arm. Select two adjacent polys running lengthwise along the top of one side of the arm then select bandsaw and enable divide. Repeat on the other side of the top of the arm. That would give you the geometry to continue. It will add polys all the way around your figure but if you want to keep all quads you'll likely have to live with that. I'm fairly new to this too so others may have a better method...

munky
05-29-2003, 01:05 PM
hi there I can't tell you how but I'm pretty certain that there is a tutorial which is on flay.com which would be just what you are looking for. If I find the link I'll post it to you

regards

paul

munky
05-29-2003, 01:18 PM
www.tonyg.info/tutorials/LW6/Model/SubPatch_Model.htm

here you are it's meant to be basic but it does give you the gist of how to go about it

hope it helps

regards

paul

riki
05-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Take a look at my Modeling Tuts see page http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/page05.htm

and scroll down to 'Organic Modeling - Topology' It might help.

danielh68
05-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks Riki, Munky and Blontz for the excellent advice. Ricki, nice site, I'm doing a tutorial now.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your expertise,
Dan

hrgiger
05-30-2003, 01:04 AM
Here's a way to add Geometry to your hand to give your characters fingers:

danielh68
05-30-2003, 08:23 AM
Cool! Thanks hrgiger.