PDA

View Full Version : Change surface based on displaced amount

ALooneyGuy
05-25-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm trying to do something that I'm sure is very easy, but for some reason I can't figure out how to do it. I have an object which is displacement mapped. The displacement map also moves. I would like the portion of the object which is displaced to have a completely different looking surface than the portion of the object which isn't displaced. I figured out how to make it a different color by adding a color gradient based on "y distance to object" (a null). I'd like to add some turbulence and some less linear color as well, all based on how displaced that portion of the object is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lottmedia
05-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Have you looked into the stress map feature of 9?

Casey :cat:

ercaxus
05-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Did you try using your displacement map as an alpha channel to achieve this?

ALooneyGuy
05-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Have you looked into the stress map feature of 9?

Casey :cat:

I started messing with stress map after your suggestion (I was using 8.5). So far, I haven't been able to accomplish what I was trying to do, but I'm still playing with it.

ALooneyGuy
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Did you try using your displacement map as an alpha channel to achieve this?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking...I used an image with an alpha channel to create the displacement map...I don't know how to use a displacement map as an alpha channel...

toby
05-25-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're asking...I used an image with an alpha channel to create the displacement map...I don't know how to use a displacement map as an alpha channel...
Easy, set an image map layer in the color channel to 'Alpha' instead of Normal.

The Surface Mixer shader should help with this effect too.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42989&highlight=Surface+Mixer

ALooneyGuy
05-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks folks. I think Surface Mixer is going to get me where I want to go.