PDA

View Full Version : Animating a cord.

Sarford
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi all,

Can somebody point me in the right direction of animating a cord? I have an electrical cord lying on the ground and one end if in the hand of a character.

I want to use cloth dynamics to automaticly animate the cord hanging to the ground if the hand of the character moves. So the cord lying on the ground have to remain fixed, the end in the hand is paranted to the hand and receives the motion from the hand and the cord inbetween has to be solved by cloth dynamics. Is this even possible?

I've given the cloth-part of the cord a seperate surface so that I can apply cloth dynamics to only a part of the cord.
I've made a pointset of the cord on the ground so that it stays fixed.
The problem I've got is that I don't know how to animate the end of the cord.

Anyone have any solutions?

regards, Simon

mrunion
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Maybe you can use the dog leash tutorial posted a week or so ago? Do a quick search on dog leash and you should find it.

Sarford
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
That will do the trick I guess, although there are no dynamics aplied witch is only furtunate I recon :)

Thank you mrunion and Larry!

SplineGod
05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks!
You can also use bone dynamics via IKBoost or using clothfx.
Create a string of 2 point polys. Apply a weight map to the parts of it that you want to keep fixed or uneffected by the cloth dynamics.
Parent the polystring to a bone in the characters hand. That part of the polystring should be fixed.
Parent the actual cord to the polystring.
Apply Clothfx to the poly string and hit calc.
Metalink the cord to the polystring.

aaronv2
11-24-2006, 03:45 AM
is there a way to have the bones collide with each other... im doing a bunch of tentacles and so far i have been sucessful with IKboost having them move naturally etc. The problem is the tentacles move through each other and dont collide. is there a way to have the dynamics of the gravity affecting the bone chain along with it interacting with itself and other bones?

Dodgy
11-24-2006, 05:00 AM
You need to switch the Key mode to all and then edit Dynamics for the bones (in the right click menu with your mouse over a bone). Right click again to select to Collision, then left mouse click and drag to scale up the collision spheres around the bones..

aaronv2
11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
sorry to be a bother but could you explain it a little more im not sure where the key mode your talking about is... and when i goto the menu there is no collision option there is however size viscosity etc... will i need to use some sort of lightwave dynamics along with IKB?

aaronv2
11-24-2006, 11:00 AM
okay i found this website
http://www.timaxmedia.com/html/help/IK_Booster.htm
it explained a **** of alot to me and now i understand what your talking about and just to clarify does enabling bone dynamics on the bone mean selecting the on/off item? because i select it in the main IKB Menu I just thaught you had to apply it to the bone aswell. also the collision spheres are the "size"?

SplineGod
11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I dont believe IKBoost can do self collision. Also those docs on that website look like theyre from the LW manual :)

gjjackson
11-24-2006, 02:06 PM
I believe it IS directly from the LW manual. Wouldn't this be a violation of copyright laws.

aaronv2
11-24-2006, 08:47 PM
okay well it seems pretty repetative that newtek have skimped on the dynamics properties of their software again. i would have thaught that maybe they would have improoved it since then. Im sick of using bounding boxes for self collisions etc. And this comes as no suprise.

I wonder then is there anyway to maybe combine two techniques like using the bone dynamics and a soft body simulator?