PDA

View Full Version : Can't move all of UV map.

Taymo
05-23-2006, 05:18 PM
I have a handle to a sword and I do a automatic cilindrical mapping to it. Then it will all be selected and when I try to move it out of the way or scale it down some of the points don't wanna move and it's gets all scewed. What could be causing this?

SplineGod
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
try turning on free move in the UV editor

DonS
05-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Although you want the handle to be separated from other parts of the sword in the UV map, it's actually still connected to other polygons in the model; the points that don't move are probably the points in the other polygons the handle is connected to. I've always found it best to completely unweld a model before beginning UV work on it (at least when connected polygons are going to be UV mapped in different ways); that way, nothing's connected to anything else.

Try this to fix your problem: reselect the polygons in your handle and hit "Clear Map"; this will remove the handle polygons from your UV map so you can start clean. Next, with those polys still selected, use "Unweld"; this will break the connection between the polygons in the handle and anything adjacent. Now, remake your auto-cylindrical UV map for the handle polys. Edit/scale/move it as needed. When you're done, "Merge" points to remove those extras created when you Unwelded.

Hope this helps!

D.

Taymo
05-23-2006, 06:45 PM
See the odd thing is that I did unweld before I tryed to UV. The handle isn't connected to the sword. It's a modified cylinder stuck in the hilt of the sword. I select all the points unweld and try again but still some of the points don't wanna move.

DonS
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Hmmm, points that won't move seem to indicate to me that they're not points in the selected polygons....but from what you've written, it sounds like that shouldn't be the problem. Can you post a Modeler capture image that illustrates what you're seeing?

D.

Taymo
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Yea here. It does seem like it's not part of the polygons but I selected all of them. Weird.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1300/screeny5bx.th.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screeny5bx.jpg)

SplineGod
05-24-2006, 02:52 AM
For something that simple I probably wouldnt bother with creating UVs. Just use a standard cyclindrical map. :)

DonS
05-24-2006, 10:37 AM
What Larry said.

Hey, wish I knew why it was doing that, though; off the top of my head, I can't understand why.

D.

SplineGod
05-24-2006, 12:53 PM
UV maps take a bit to 'wrap' your head around. I hae some free videos on my site explaining the basics of UV maps. I also have a tutorial video that covers UV mapping in great detail. :)