PDA

View Full Version : Pls. Recommend LW ver. for OS9

hugh ferring
05-28-2003, 09:04 AM
Hello,

Could anyone pls. recommend the most functional + stable version for OS 9.2.2

Im seeing alot of mixed messages as to OSX but nothing related to 9.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Oh, and what plugins are highly recommended for architectural renders?

Thanks

paintboy
05-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Hugh
the reason you dont see much about 9 here is because
LW under 9 ,eerr, uhmm, well stinks.
... can you say unstable, unpredictable, unreliable.
problems with large output sizes etc,etc,etc.
i could go on , but i will spare you.
i am most sure some one will pop up here and swear
they are runningLW on 9...and its all "roses" but my experience
for about2 years was quite different, and i never was able to make real progress
with LW... untill running underX
not trying to be a wise arse, but do yourself a favor
if you gonna do LW on the mac, getOSX...somehow, someway. little different at first but worth the change IMO.
you will spend much more time learning LW
instead of cursing your crashed computer.

ninjaman
05-28-2003, 03:09 PM
7.5b works ok for me on 9.2.2. Modeler never crashes. Lightwave will crash if you put it under too much stress (remember to save often), but otherwise works fine. Stay away from 7.5c since it has problems with panels ending up under the main window - strange bug indeed - and OpenGl problems in Modeler.

Johan Grönwall

Beamtracer
05-28-2003, 03:19 PM
The only reason to use OS9 is if your computer is older than a G3, which is pretty old.

I found OS9 + any version of Lighwave to be unstable compared to OS X. Particles and complex stuff is a nightmare in OS9.

I've used Lightwave + OS X on a 350MHz G4 and I can tell you it's better than OS9.

I think most Lightwave users are now on OS X, so there's less and less of a user base on OS9, thus less and less support.

Tartiflette
05-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I will go in the wrong way compared to (almost) all mac users of LightWave on this board, but I just can say that with all the computers I have used so far with LightWave, it seems that LightWave 7 or even 7.5 works much better on Mac Os9 than with X :(
What I can tell you is that LightWave works just fine on Mac OS 9.2.2 even on G3, G4, or bi-G4. :) I have seen some other interesting things like the rendering times with hypervoxels : it's way faster on OS9 than on X !! :eek:
The only thing I see for you to switch to OS X is that 7.5 is probably the last release of LightWave on Mac OS 9, and it can be good to learn OS X as soon as possible...

IMHO, you can stay on Mac OS 9 with LightWave 7.5 as long as you don't have to render very large images, which is one of the weakest thing of LightWave 7.5 on Mac OS 9...

Hope this help :)

Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

toby
05-29-2003, 03:27 PM
now that is one in a million - someone who says that LW is actually better on OS9!(?)

This forum used to be absolutely bristling with users pulling their hair out trying to keep their computers from locking up completely. Scores left Apple for PC. It was ugly. People screaming at Newtek and each other, almost everyone had to turn off a dozen or so extensions like ATI and Quicktime to keep their systems from freezing. My system would crash everytime I tried to render HV with both processors, etc.

If yours works, you are one of the very few lucky ones, but don't be surprised if it fizzles!

RobinWood
05-29-2003, 04:04 PM
I never had problems with LW on OS 9. I switched to OS X, though, because there were some plug-ins I wanted to use, and some other stuff that ran better on OS X, from all reports.

I will never look back (and I've used Macs since 1984.) OS X is wonderful. The system doesn't crash even when individual programs fold at the knees. You will never see "Not enough memory to open..." anything ever again. You will never have to adjust a memory partition again. You can leave a load dialog box open, move to the desktop and run Find File to see where in the world you put something, then come back and navigate to it. FInd File just finds stuff, and doesn't throw you into all the bells and whistles of Sherlock. You can leave Lightwave rendering and work on textures in Photoshop at the same time without problems. I'm often shocked at how many heavy duty programs I have open at once. (And I'm on an old machine with only 704 MB of ram.) The list goes on and on.

Besides all that, it's esthetically pleasing!

If you can afford OS X, I would add my voice in recommending it. Yeah, your workflow might be a bit different, but there are workarounds and third party plug-ins for nearly all of that so that you can get back to the old way of doing things if you really want to; just with a lot more stability and ease.

Tartiflette
05-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Hello again !
I knew I was going to be the voice of the devil by saying that I'm still working with LW on Mac OS 9, but that was to say to Hugh that if he needs to stay under OS 9 for some reason (good or bad, that's not the subject of the thread...), he can use LW 7.5 and it will work just fine ! :)
I'm agree with you all when you say that OS X is by far a better OS than Mac OS 9, because it is in almost all case !! (still missing some cool feature of OS 9 like families, but I'm sure it will be implemented, like spring loaded folder... ;) )
And yes you're right too, Toby, when you say that LW needs a good set of extensions to work properly, but hey, with a clean install of OS 9 and a minimum of extensions loaded, you can use it with no problem at all :cool: ( and you can still leave some typically Mac OS 9 extensions like Kaleidoscope, which I still use to change the look of my interface daily, not to mention FinderPop, and so on :D )
I know that the great majority of people out there have reported that their user experience was by far more stable and fun with OS X, but I can assure you that for the 3 last years, I've done all my work, from TV advertising to print image on Mac OS 9 and on a wide variety of Macs without any problem (by the way, not more than on Windows XP ;) )
And, if you read my last post, I'm just saying that if Hugh can use OS X, he should do it asap, because I don't think Newtek is going to develop anymore on Mac OS 9, which is normal, because it's a dead OS for Apple ;)
Just my two cents...

Laurent aka Tartiflette :)

toby
05-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Tartiflette, don't worry, I don't think you're crazy for staying with something that works for you!

But this:
"but hey, with a clean install of OS 9 and a minimum of extensions loaded, you can use it with no problem at all ( and you can still leave some typically Mac OS 9 extensions"

is a little mis-leading considering how many people had crippling experiences with OS9.

Many people went thru 10 times more effort, even on different machines, with no luck. And plenty of these were experienced with troubleshooting computers, and we all discussed and shared our experiements to get things to work, frequently to no avail.

I wouldn't want anyone to buy LW for OS9 without knowing what he/she may be getting into. :^)

dfc
05-30-2003, 01:27 PM
7.5 with lots of ram assigned to it...and don't run modeler and layout at the same time. Quit one ..before opening the other.
After you install it..scan the plugins..to load them.

You can get your work done with it this way.

ie...it's stable.

At default ram settings...both modeler and layout would unexpectedly quit quite often.

I have assigned 600 megs to Layout
And 400 megs to modeler..and again..I never run them both at the same time. It you get any crashing...assign more ram.

Since you aren't running them both at the same time...(ie modeler and layout)..you can assign a good bit more ram to each one.

The only weiredness I've experienced under this setup..is that occasionally..after ..closing and opening the apps several times...the opengl based menus would just go black.

A quick restart fixes it.

It only happens after running the thing for days without restarting it..and having opened and closed Layout and modler multiple times.

If I'm just working on one scene..ie..just in layout on one file...I've worked for hours and hours on end..wtih no problems at all.

Like all things in OS9...you'll be restarting occasionally to fix things.

That's not just wiht LW..but anything. After a few days...an OS9 machine under heavy use will frag itself (mem fragmentation).

But, if your using OS9 now..you already know that :)

toby
05-30-2003, 05:43 PM
if there was no OSX, you would swamped with responses from people who've clean-installed over clean-install, given LW it's own partition, run with barely any extensions, allotted 1gb ram, worked with tech support for months, restart their machine every 10 minutes, turned the hub off, reloaded plug-ins, etc., etc. and still scream "it should be more reliable than Windows ME, not less!"

I guess what we have here is that the only people still using OS9 are the few that had little trouble - so the only opinion we hear is that it's ok.

Just remember there's a reason so few people still use OS9 LW :cool:

dfc
05-31-2003, 01:39 AM
I did one install of7.0 ..and did the 7.5 update to that..and both are the original installs..with original prefs. Never had to trash prefs...or edit them.

7.0 and 7.5 have been the best versions of LW i've ever used on mac..for stability..features..etc. (been using it since version 5.5) I

I felt bad for all the people having issues wiht LW6. There were a LOT of new mac users who jumped on board after all the hype about LW6. But, it became obvious..after a short..while..there there were some serious problems with LW6/

I skipped that one.

Maybe that's the reason...my experience has been different?

6.0 nor 6.5 have ever been on machine.

All I can say..is..installers worked perfectly..and everything configged properly..and I've been using the same config since 2001...day in..day out under OS9.2