PDA

View Full Version : music while you work

Gyphon
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Okay, everyone listens to music while they work on their latest project, right? I just think it would be a little fun to talk about what music you listen to while you work. Myself, I am just getting into surreal art and listen to black sabbath, the heavy metal soundtrack etc. But while I work on horror themes I listen to harder music like manowar and even older manson and that kind. For scifi stuff I like classical.

oDDity
05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Dunno, Richard Williams advice (which he got from Milt Kahl I think) is not to listen to music while animating,m becasue no one's smart enough to do the two things at once - that is, to actually concentrate on doing your CG work and concentrate on listening to the music as well.
I tend to agree from experience, I do put on music at times, but I find that the CD finishes and I realise I haven't actually heard a note of it.
I'm into opera and Rossini particularly ATM, but it's an injustice to do anything else while listening to it.

Puguglybonehead
05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
I usually listen to internet radio while I work. Electronic music (for electronic work). Usually the ambient stations or some deep-house or drum'n'bass. I like the sort of non-descript noise that puts you in a mood without demanding anything of your conscious mind. But when I'm sick of the electronic noise, Rockabilly Radio really hits the spot for fun work.

Gyphon
05-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Dunno, Richard Williams advice (which he got from Milt Kahl I think) is not to listen to music while animating,m becasue no one's smart enough to do the two things at once - that is, to actually concentrate on doing your CG work and concentrate on listening to the music as well.
I tend to agree from experience, I do put on music at times, but I find that the CD finishes and I realise I haven't actually heard a note of it.
I'm into opera and Rossini particularly ATM, but it's an injustice to do anything else while listening to it.

I doubt I would agree with Williams' quote on any level. I doubt that intelligence has any real bearing on being able to do CG work and listening to music. I for one do not concentrate as such on the music or the words. The music I choose for any given theme is music I've heard a thousand times so I really need not listen to the words as much as derive the mood the matches the task I am doing. I imagine that for some it helps and others it hinders. I think the comment from Williams was meant more in jest than anything else.

oDDity
05-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, but as I said from my own experience I rarely put music on while working, since I don't listen to it anyway. Serious work requires serious concentration, and music is a distraction more than anything else.
Sure, if you want to listen to some bland, generic background 'musak', fine, but I don't see the point myself.

Dexter2999
05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I am a waffler on this one. I like to listen to something (often techno) while modeling and texturing. Something about the driving beat seems to speed up my mental process.
When animating I usually turn it off because it strikes me as wrong to animate at one rate while the music is at a different tempo.

Gyphon
05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, but as I said from my own experience I rarely put music on while working, since I don't listen to it anyway. Serious work requires serious concentration, and music is a distraction more than anything else.
Sure, if you want to listen to some bland, generic background 'musak', fine, but I don't see the point myself.

Oh please don't get me wrong I understand your point perfectly, I simply do not agree with williams' comment. ;)

Virtual Mind
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I always will have music playing while working, on anything from Lightwave, or my 9th Grade homework assignments. Currently I'm really into the new Tool album 10,000 Days.

Wickster
05-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm a sucker for Epic battle music. Its like commanding an armada of vertices. :D

Dexter2999
05-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I disagree with the notion that music is a distraction. I don't think you have to have bland music on either. Music given the correct volume merely enhances your mental ability in some respects. Music can stimulate brain activity. It can soothe and calm, helping to alleviate stress from a deadline and allow you to center on your work. I mean there are surgeons that listen to music in operations. That music isn't there for the unconscious patient on the table.
In one instance in my past I used music to drown out all other distractions to enhance ability. In my case it wasn't surgery rather it was merely to stop me from being distracted by passers by and I flipped the score on Galaga while I was in college. Did music deter a performance in that instance?

I find good music (per the individual) speeds up productivity and keeps a positive attitude in the office. It keeps the job from being such a grind. One individual I used to work for was a terror. I used to walk over and turn on the radio softly and within a half hour he was whistling and ceased to be an unbearable ***. It was nearly six months before someone else in the office figured out I was changing his mood and asked me how I did it.

Like I said before there is a time to turn it off...but until then I say let it play.

randomnumbers
05-23-2006, 01:02 AM
I think the whole music/no music thing is incredibly subjective. I know a lot of people who work best in absolute silence and just as many who prefer as much background noise as possible. One guy I know usually has music playing and the TV on at the same time.
I guess it is the audio equivalent to having either a tidy desk or a cluttered desk.
Myself I do like listening to music but find that an hour or two of silence can pass when the CD has finished. It can be great for psyching yourself up and pitching the mood.
I don't think one can really say that listening or not listening to music is the best way to maximise productivity. Each to their own.

I find good music (per the individual) speeds up productivity and keeps a positive attitude in the office. It keeps the job from being such a grind.

I heartily agree. Ever since my workplace was downsized they stuck a secretary in my office. Now I have to deal with the phone ringing every five minutes and the general background hubbub that comes with secretarial type stuff happening in my immediate vicinity.
Thank god for headphones and 40gb mp3 players.

All that having been said; my current project is a music video and I am constantly scrubbing through the song and having it playing in the background while working.
There is a finite limit to the number of times one can listen to the same song and retain their sanity.
I fear I exceeded that limit some time ago.
I guess I should consider myself lucky I like the band I am working for. Imagine the horror of having to listen to the latest teeny pop trash several hundred times a day. -shudder-

Wickster
05-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Music kindoff affects me in a predictable way. I noticed that if I listen to fast upbeat music i kinda try to keep up with the beat and work a little faster. if the music is slow i tend to slow down also. which is also kinda similar to driving while listening to music of sorts. i got myself a speeding ticket listening to techno a long time ago.

oDDity
05-23-2006, 02:09 AM
My problem is I actually like music, So if I put on music I like, I stop wokring in order to listen to it, while if it's bland generic music I won't listen at all, so there's not much point.
I'm the sort of person who will sit and listen to a 3 hour opera, not doing anything else, just listening to the music, giving it my full concentration, like most people would do if they were watching a movie.
Hence, it's not a good idea to mix work an pleasure for me..
I don't actually like most people's rather low opinion of music as some sort of white noise that's to be tossed into the backgroud while you do something else more important.
Once you've listened to a short piece of music a dozen or so times, you're brain starts to take over listeing to it for you, and you find your mind wandering onto other things, but that's when you really have to start concentrating hard on it and giving it your full attention, not use it as background nosie.

colkai
05-23-2006, 03:39 AM
I don't listen to music while working, I can only focus on one thing, either the music, or the work. As a guitarist, I can't help but focus on music if it's playing, even get frustrated if the wife talks if I have a CD on.
If I'm focussed, I zone out anyway, so there is little point in having something on.

starbase1
05-23-2006, 03:58 AM
I find music with words distracting, but instrumental is generally fine.

Even if I am working on something that requires concentration the more ambient side of electronic is not at all distractng for me, and makes things a lot more enjoyable. Stuff like Steve Roach, Brian Eno, Biosphere... Most of the good electronic stuff does not get anywhere near the high street stores or even amazon these days...

Incidentally, I personally really get a lot out of Pandora web radio - you can feed in bands or tracks you know and like and it generally does a really good job of matching styles and coming up with new stuff that fits in. (http://www.pandora.com).

It's nominally USA only, but as all you have to do to validate is feed in a random zip code, it's not exactly super secure...

Nick

Plakkie
05-23-2006, 03:59 AM
As a choir conductor, it's part of my job to listen to music with a critical ear. Sometimes, this is a pain, but it also enhances the experience when the music is performed well. So, I too tend to listen only to the music and forgetting my poor little polygons. The only music that works for me as background to other activities is old jazz and Sinatra; get's you in a groove and keeps you going. When I do that I find that the disc has played 3 timed round before I notice it.

Smiley musical party:

:jam: :boogiedow :jam: :dance: :compbeati :hammer: :rock: :foreheads :jam:

lilrayray77
05-23-2006, 04:32 AM
I tend to listen to music when working. All of my art teacher in the past have done the same, but it all appeals to the individual. Some like music while working, some don't.

newsvixen8
05-23-2006, 04:41 AM
I'm with Starbase1 on this one... I just discovered Pandora.com and am loving how it pulls up obscure songs to match the style and features of the ones I designate. You can generate and save several different "stations" to match different genres, so I can call up any mood I want and just let it play, confident I'll probably like whatever it comes up with. For FREE!
On the downside, it can be a little distracting when it gives me something interesting and I feel compelled to find out just who it is...and it tends to freeze a little bit when moving between Modeler and Layout...

iconoclasty
05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
How could anyone model to anything other than some old school Wu-Tang Clan?

colkai
05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
The who flung what? ;)

starbase1
05-23-2006, 11:11 AM
How could anyone model to anything other than some old school Wu-Tang Clan?

Err...

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :screwy: :stumped:

Well, someone who actually wanted music, as opposed to tuneless mysogynist pottymouthed ranting?!?!

Lightwolf
05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I prefer to have music running as well... and the later it gets the more I turn it up ;)
Then again, I'm also a "insert CD - repeat - for days" kind of type, which drives my collegues mad (I hate ear/headphones - and customers do call!) - so I'm more into webradio at the moment (http://www.motor.de/radio - yeah, indie).
I don't see it as a distraction, to the contrary, it keeps me alert in a way and if the tune is neat I find myself working to the rythm (no, I don't sing along - yet ;) ).
Some albums I have instantly take me back to the job I was working on at the time... years ago.
I'm just glad I'm not in audio production, I wouldn't want to miss listening to music while working.

Cheers,
Mike

Lottmedia
05-23-2006, 12:36 PM
But while I work on horror themes I listen to harder music like manowar and even older manson and that kind.

Wow, That was wierd. I just finished some work for them (manowar, or rather, the label, for one of their sister bands) and had never heard of them before that.

For my 2 cents I've got Williams book and have always disagreed with his theory. In concept I understand it but just can't work that way. I just put on my iTunes and let it go and suprise me, if I need something specific (for mood) I'll narrow it. Mostly Alanis Morissette, The Veronicas And Bare Naked Ladies :) Although I've been known to pull out the Cure and Crystal Method for the odd job.

Casey :cat:
(anyone counting parenthesis?)

Lightwolf
05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
(anyone counting parenthesis?)
(yeah,me)...{but I code as well ;) }

Cheers,
Mike

Lottmedia
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
(yeah,me)...{but I code as well ;) }

Cheers,
Mike

Coders, you're a mystery to me. I just make things look pretty :)

(and now I have nothing to say....)

aurora
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
CODERS ROCK!! (OK so I'm biased but its true!)

As for me I listen to European Trance and Dance (God bless internet radio!)

madjester
05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
I try and be as distracted as possible when I work, that way my conscience has as little to do with my project as possible, so I disagree with Mr. Williams on that one.

For music oriented distraction? Supergrass is my favorite band to work to but any music with some variation satisfies, FSOL, Verve, Vivaldi, Muse(Kinda).

mmcglumphy
05-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Electronic music for me...mostly trance, ambient, and techno. It allows me to tune out other external noises and focus more on what I'm doing, believe it or not.

I get most of my tunes from EMusic.com. They have the best downloadable collection for the price of any service that I have tried.

Gyphon
05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Wow, That was wierd. I just finished some work for them (manowar, or rather, the label, for one of their sister bands) and had never heard of them before that.

Coolest! Smaller world it is. If you like cheasy metal than Manowar is the band to look into. Great music.

starbase1
05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Electronic music for me...mostly trance, ambient, and techno. It allows me to tune out other external noises and focus more on what I'm doing, believe it or not.

I get most of my tunes from EMusic.com. They have the best downloadable collection for the price of any service that I have tried.

I did not realise that those styles had a real foothold in the USA... You may want to investigate th beyond_EM list, (yahoo group), many of the people who are doing awesome work in that area hang around, and I have found it a great source for new stuff worth listening to.

They tend to get upset with emusic though, because they started threatening musicians with big lawsuits for using the term, even if it had been long before they started up...

Nick

BeeVee
05-24-2006, 01:54 AM
It may be interesting for those that like music that the Internet Archive has a wide selection of live recordings of various bands, along with loads of music by unsigned bands to download free of charge. I've only had the time to pick through for stuff I know, but there's tons (and tonnes) here: http://www.archive.org/details/audio

B

colkai
05-24-2006, 02:41 AM
Hehe, call me self-centred, but I do sometimes like to listen to my own stuff, though in 'breaks' not while I'm working.
Otherwise I start thinking of how I could remix stuff or change parts of the songs. :p

Plakkie
05-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Hmmm, nice, can you hear one of you're songs? :dance: I would send one of my recordings, but I guess that not many people round here are interested in classical choir music :D

Lottmedia
05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Hmmm, nice, can you hear one of you're songs? :dance: I would send one of my recordings, but I guess that not many people round here are interested in classical choir music :D

Hey, we're not all barbarians :D I live with a musicologist and hang out with vocalist (not always on purpose:) )

(meow...)

monfoodoo
05-25-2006, 09:49 PM
No music,it's talk radio all the way.(played pro bass for 27 years)

shockwave
05-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Trance and house does it for me with the volume cranked. When I am in the mood..action movie sound tracks like the ones from the Matrix movies. Cranked. It really gets my synaptics firing and I work better and faster.

tyrot
05-28-2006, 03:07 PM
dear Lightwavers

actually in June i will not only celebrate Lightwave 9 but also my 10 th years in front of Lightwave. So that s why ... i made something completely different. I was listening other musics but then...why? ...yes why? other songs?

So that s why ... i started a band called LWian. (me and my 3d models(soon coming))

check this out. And there is first pureLWrelated song in alpha version..

http://www.lwian.com/

and the song called LWObsession is here..

http://www.lwian.com/mp3/LWian_LWobsession_a.MP3

((i never claimed that i am totally ok for hmmm approx 10 years ..:))

BEST

StereoMike
05-28-2006, 03:31 PM
lol, I don't like metal, but it's funny to hear a well mastered song dealing about 3D :)

Cool!

Lightwolf
05-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Coders, you're a mystery to me. I just make things look pretty :)

How could I miss that ;)

Actually, I do use parenthesis a lot in written text, mainly because I keep going off topic in my own posts (either that or I think I need to add some details).
Yeah, but style, I know...

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-28-2006, 03:46 PM
@tyrot - hey! very funny. I had a good laugh. This could be really cool with a bit of brushing up...

@StereoMike: I don't like "metal" either... but this ain't metal anyhow :D

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: and I love the motherrenderers .... hehe.

prospector
05-28-2006, 05:50 PM
When modeling I have ABBA playing on repeat so I hear the CD about 20 times a day

When Animating I put on Cusco in repeat

Either way I got Fox news on too. Tho today there are all WWII films in black and white so when the battles are raging I just have to look up :D

StereoMike
05-28-2006, 06:25 PM
@Leitwolf
uh not? Ya know, my experience in this direction is very limited, I just knew there are some different metal genres and I thought it would fit in one of them (maybe Happy Metal :D ? )
I just browsed my music, and the "hardest" albums I have (and like- I only have what I like) are from Hard-Fi, Kasabian, Kaiserchiefs, Killers, Mando Diao, Hoobastank and Panic at the disco. I guess that's rather soft for some of the guys in here... :)

But I switch my music often, I have a big chunk of lounge music (what ends up on Hed Kandis collections), but I also hear classical tunes and trance, I get bored by music genres rather fast, if I hear it all day long.
Mike

tyrot
05-28-2006, 06:47 PM
dear mike,lightwolf

thanks for feedbacks fellas..:) Actually more slow songs:) and even some blends (classical themes and some even crazy techno sounded songs) are coming. Somehow i realized there are so much to write about that Piece of software..

I am with you Mike. I cant handle one music when i model, From Prokofiyev, to gothic techno...From Bruckner (classical symphony starts and ends with him in my book) to Suicidal Tendencies.....although i was trying to make LWian music when i model...lately:) Even old Tears For Fears' (songs from the big chair..) and even refined death metal. (entombed - obituary)

Modelling without music ... you know ... i dont even wanna describe it..:)

BEST

StereoMike
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Tears for fears, I liked their stuff alot, man, we're old...
Bruckner - Mass in E minor...great!
but my all time favorite classic song will remain Pachelbel's Canon (no matter how often they might abuse it in pop songs)

Mike

StereoMike
05-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Post your favorite songs here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=387876#post387876

hrgiger
05-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I make up a playlist of various MP3's. The Cure, Liz Phair, Concrete Blond and then maybe sprinkle it with a little Marilyn Manson or Prodigy. I'm modifying my lists all the time. Sometimes I get in a all Curve mood and just make a playlist of all Curve songs. Music definately enhances my work experience.

Beaker
05-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Rammstein, Gorillaz and Blue Man Group.

gatz
05-29-2006, 12:30 PM
In heavy rotation now. Eno, Replacements, Costello, Fountains of Wayne and HEM.

The computer as a digital jukebox is a wonder. Anyone remember having to change CDs, flip an album or....change the track on an 8 track?

rg

Signal to Noise
05-29-2006, 12:48 PM
...The computer as a digital jukebox is a wonder. Anyone remember having to change CDs, flip an album or....change the track on an 8 track?

Yes, those days are over and we just get fat now. ;)

art
06-02-2006, 07:09 PM
...to gothic techno...
Sounds intriguing, any band names? Google search returned a few bands (some of them my favorites) that I know as "industrial" or "ebm"

Btw, is that you singing in your songs?

tyrot
06-03-2006, 05:40 AM
dear art

as far as i remember you have pretty solid, heavy background for music taste (i dont remember that much well but you were in death, speed metal as well i guess...so you are in my "the cools" list:))
Actually yes i am trying to sing..(ifyou call this singing..of course.more like killing my innerchild with vocal-tunes) In lwian project i will try different genres first, that s why i couldnt stick with any band, i cant play same tunes..so i tried a bit different in the last song.
My deep gratitudes to LordBeeper for dividing the universe of Light. (http://www.lwian.com/mp3/LWvsModo-chronicleoflordbeeper.MP3

The thing is gothic techno can be good, actually i didn't listen that much good gothic sound in techno form. Lets say if you charge the music of Vampire The Masquarades (pc game from troika) Bloodlines, with speedy, industrial riffs with changing brutal vocals i think it can be the gothic techno i would love to make...Because i loved so much Entombed (clandestine),Death,Obituary era of death metal if this can be combined with gothtechno rhythms can be good.

Right now i am working for a classical composition for Lightwave. Why?
Hmm i am not sure why...Can be oddity's experiment(punishment)...on me..i dont remember..one night...there was a bouncing light coming from the window, i couldnt reduce the noise so everything was blurry...
I asked the light "where are you coming from, bouncing light"
light answered "i am from monte carlo..i will take you there"
"where ?" i said..
"are you dumb ?oddity said you will be doomed!" light answered and began to grow...
So i found myself...making these things.. i am not sure ..what happened:)

BEST

StereoMike
06-03-2006, 07:10 AM
"...but you were in death, speed metal as well i guess...so you are in my "the cools" list"

errr... does that mean I am hot then? hehe ;)

looking forward to the new track!

tyrot
06-03-2006, 07:43 AM
dear mike

you are in coolest:) list..WHo goes and gets Sibelius except you?...So you are already surroundmike for me. Next track will be for you directly!:)

BEST