PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to loop a procedural texture?

focus3d
05-28-2003, 07:01 AM
The reason I want to know is that I am creating a web page in flash and quite fancy taking advantage of it's video capability.

Would it be possible to create rippling water in Lightwave but to have it loop seamlessly? So I can have it in my webpage?

Also, would it be possible with clouds? And if so, where can I get a decent cloud generating turorial? (I have looked but can't find any).

Cheers me dears! :)

peace

focus3d

hrgiger
05-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Yes, I know it is possible to loop a procedural. It involves doing a little simple math if I remember correctly to figure out maybe the size of your object or surface it has to loop over, something like that. Now what you have to figure up is beyond me. :rolleyes:

I've also seen in one of the lightwave books I've read where someone took a blue skydome, applied a white procedural texture to it, and animated the texture moving through the sky object to make it look like the clouds were moving. I believe the turbulence procedural was used. It was in a book called Lightwave Applied Version 6.5 and 7.

Sorry, that doesn't seem like much help. That's what I remember.

focus3d
05-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Yeah, it's the maths I'm having trouble with, can't seem to figure out how to calculate it.

I think I have that book, away for a look! :)

Thanks for the reply.

peace

focus3d

HowardM
05-28-2003, 09:55 AM
yes, you can loop them, different ways.
the water procedurals (ripple,underwater and smokes also I think) loop automatically...basically wavespeed=wavelength*5 to loop.
Also, you can make a procedural loop by using world coordinates and a null as a ref obj, then rotate the null 360 degrees on one axis...the texture will pass through the world and return to its starting position....a cool fake, but can take ALOT of frames to get a smooth loop...

michaelsoft
05-28-2003, 10:07 PM
or make two instances of the procedural. animate both the same way. fade one in and have the other fade out. offset the second the fade length from the first, and all you've got to do is copy the faded frames and they loop

x] [a] x [b]
| procedural 1 starts ------------- fade out ----
| procedural 2 starts ------- fade in ----

from a to b should loop as long as the procedurals are identical and move identically and the two X values are the same (offset and fade). either this made sense or it didn't.

michaelsoft
05-28-2003, 10:09 PM
gyahhhhh!!!! it didn't like my repeating spaces. just ignore the periods and it should line up now

........x].....................................[a]....x....[b]
| procedural 1 starts ------------- fade out ----
........ | procedural 2 starts ------- fade in ----

Mylenium
05-29-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi there,

If it's for the web, I'd simply do it in Flash. I'm no Guru there, but at least the repeating ripples would be doable without to much hassle.

Mylenium

focus3d
05-29-2003, 06:22 AM
I think you may be missing the point here mate.

i don't want an illustrated vector water, I want video so it looks real.

So how do you propose I loop the video in flash perfectly?;)

peace

focus3d

HowardM
05-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Render like I said using math loops, or do what michaelsoft said, render two versions and cross fade them in AE or even LW...then simply use Flashs Spark video feature to play it...

lunarcamel
05-29-2003, 06:42 PM
I didn't read all the replies but for simple ripple loops:

wavelength divided by the # of frames you want the loop = wave speed

So, a wavelength of .4 over 30 frames would loop with a wavespeed of .0133

papou
05-30-2003, 06:43 AM
it's a tip, on the manual...