PDA

View Full Version : This Is So Much Better....

Aaron_Price
05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
:D I just downloaded the full license version of Maya 7 free from the net the other day and had a play round with it. And after having a play around with it. Being a Lightwave user in general I found Maya 7 a nightmare to use, I was picking up some of the stuff pretty quick but it is no where as user friendly as Lightwave and I am glad I didn't pay 3000 for it. So I have now deleted it and sticking with my Lightwave

Dodgy
05-22-2006, 07:14 AM
I have to use maya at work, and while some stuff is really nice (paintFX, linking attributes everything animatable) a lot is sooo horrible. My frustrations made me keep a list so I didn't keep moaning :) It seems simple things are really hard to do in maya, while complex things are made easier.

stevecullum
05-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Yep - I was seduced by the power of Maya, until I had to use it in production - what a mistake! Back with LW for the past 2 years and couldn't be happier.

Every time I see a thread with, Maya has this and Max has that, I only have to cast my mind back and remember how much effort was involved to get even the simplest of tasks done.

:lightwave

Emmanuel
05-22-2006, 07:52 AM
But honestly: it is the same with every software.
The one You are good in is always easier, and the new one is always difficult.
Had You guys started with Maya, Youd shake Your heads trying to understand the separation between modeler/layout in LW, the surface editor, the lack of a history, skelegons etc...
I did some Maya dabbling and I did some XSI playing around with, and every app has its flaws.
Maya is teribble to use in places, and then surprisingly logical in other (easy animation of things without having to use the graphed, like, in paint effects, just use the timeline to keyframe).I didn't dig Maya's layers, though, they seem uncool.
XSI, well I played with the 3.0 a bit which to my surprise doesn't seem to have a way to show motion paths in viewports ?
But then it has all these nice preview options for bones (box, line etc), a nice animation mixer, a nice scene editor...
There is some things in LW that really are way cool, no doubt, otherwise it would not exist anymore, but I will have a look at Blender, too.
Also, looking forward to the improvements of the 9.x updates :lwicon:

stevecullum
05-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree partly with you, but I actually started off using Max 1.0. then 2.0. I was just a novice then and naturally found it difficult to use and understand. Then when I was introduced to Lightwave 6, I was producing stuff of much higher quality and easier than I ever did with Max. The seperate modeler/layout was a god send. I guess it just comes down to an individuals workflow physchie and how well any particular package fits into that.

But the real LW trump card was the awesome renders!

toonafish
05-22-2006, 08:11 AM
:D I just downloaded the full license version of Maya 7 free from the net the other day and had a play round with it. And after having a play around with it. Being a Lightwave user in general I found Maya 7 a nightmare to use, I was picking up some of the stuff pretty quick but it is no where as user friendly as Lightwave and I am glad I didn't pay 3000 for it. So I have now deleted it and sticking with my Lightwave

Don't worry, this feeling will pass :D

Dodgy
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
But honestly: it is the same with every software.

Yup.... LW agrees with me the most, but I have seen other things in other packages I wouldn't mind pilfering :) But then if you look at any other forum for other packages you see people saying the same kinds of things about maya and max etc. I'm just rebelling agains the common line that 'Maya is wonderful and will solve all my problems'.... But I'm not bitter..:)

oDDity
05-22-2006, 11:17 AM
One thing that makes maya popular is MEL scripting. You can basically rewrite the entire app with it.
One simple thing I loved about maya from the first moment I used it was the alt+mouse buttons navigation system. Please, Please put this simple thing in LW9, I mean, how difficult can it be?
IF (when ) you do put it it, dont restrict it to the alt key like maya does, make the hotkey user configurable like XSI does.
I have never gotten used to holding down combos of shfit alt & ctrl to navigate and after 4 years am still using the rotate zoom and and move icons in the corner of the view panes :/

Emmanuel
05-22-2006, 01:37 PM
I guess it is Maya or XSI which comes with MMB-zoom on default.
I hate it :)
Zooming with the MMB is evil.I got the hang of LWs navigation system, but
except for zooming, Maya, XSI and LW are pretty much the same principle and if You want to rely on the icons, LWs still are the most useful since they are on top of each viewport.
Navigation issues aside, I will never understand why Maya doesn't have true symmetry.Its a pain to do the mirror thing and the SDS modelling in Maya seems pretty awkward.As well as working with point-by-point modelling (talking Maya out of the box, I know there are plugins).
I really gave a try with Maya modlling, but soon imported an object into the PLE from LW.
By the way: the PLE must be the most sucking piece of demo software I have ever used.
These watermarks are just ridiculous and make me hate Maya even more.
XSI Exp, now thats one serious piece of learning software, decent watermarks and all, but Maya ? I had to use the fbx format to load a model from LW cause Maya PLE sucks at import.
One more reason to have a look at Blender.
What sucks about both Maya and XSi is the structuring of the panels, same as with Max.
As unstructured, cluttered and chaotic as LW is, there's only the "General Options" and the "Display Options" that are really high panels filled with stuff.
In Maya and XSI, there's quite some of these deep panels and You gotta do a lot of checking "Yes I wanna do that, and that, and that, and that, sigh, and that, too, and that...".
Of course there's a whole lot of freedom doing everything with anything, but then it could probably be presented better to the artist, especially for software that claims *to be done with the artist in mind* (XSI).

oDDity
05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Maya is RMB for zoom, MMB is pan and LMB rotate.. I think it's the most perfect and intuitive navigation system available.
I certainly wouldn't use maya for poly or sub-d modeling, that's an area where Lightwave roundly kicks it's ***.

Dodgy
05-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I'd really like configurable mouse controls... Even better than maya!