PDA

View Full Version : Options for Recording Sound in Field?

Chris S. (Fez)
05-28-2003, 05:46 AM
Are there any relatively cheap solutions for recording quality sound in the field (that I can dump right into Toaster)?

Paul Lara
05-28-2003, 06:06 AM
Do you mean something that can serve as a mobile audio booth?

Jim Capillo
05-28-2003, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
Are there any relatively cheap solutions for recording quality sound in the field (that I can dump right into Toaster)?

I have a Sony MiniDisc (RZ-900) with a variety of mics (lavs, shotgun, stereo handheld) that I use with it depending on the application. The quality is great, portability is fine (the recorder isn't much bigger than the disc) and getting it on to the VT is as simple as playing it back. I paid a couple hundred bucks for it, but you can get them for a lot less moolah now. To bring in the aspect that Paul mentioned, I've recorded voice overs in closets, cars and many other strange places and the quality has always been good (run a test to make sure, though ;) ), but if you do have a need for a portable booth, I think Markertek (www.markertek.com) sells them.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-28-2003, 09:03 AM
That MiniDisc should do nicely. Won't break the bank either. Thanks!

vanguard
06-13-2003, 07:01 AM
For most G.P. recording the Mini will probably be fine.

Some anal-types (like me) can hear the clipping from the data compression.

Not so much on voice work, but certinally on music.

I use DAT tape in the field, or even 1/4" analog (hey, its good enough for nearly all feature films!).

Anyhoo thats my .02