PDA

View Full Version : Rental Prices

Demon8
05-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I have a client that wants to rent my vt4 and meself for 4 camera shoot. Is there a price scale to go by or can someone give me a general ideal about how much to charge on a 4 day conference 6 pm to 10 pm.

Ivan
05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I think VT4 with operator starts around $125 per hour and goes up from there. Your choice when to start charging but often the clock starts when you leave the studio unless you charge per mile as well. It usually works out about the same unless there's traffic.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
05-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Depends on where you are. I'm at $175/hr in the Boston area and nobody's squawking (except the cheapos who want everything for free).

I do give a break on the day rate and extras.

Ivan
05-21-2006, 05:56 AM
I guess this is the year we go up to $175 an hour...

Ivan

Jim Capillo
05-21-2006, 06:35 AM
I guess this is the year we go up to $175 an hour...

Ivan

LOL ! You could justify it just by the energy prices.....8~

PIZAZZ
05-21-2006, 12:05 PM
We do things a little different in our production division. We charge a flat rate for the VT or TriCaster rental and then a Day Rate for a technical director.

We usually charge $1000-1500 for the VT4 system and then $350-450 for an experienced director.

TriCaster usually rents for $250-300 per day plus the same cost for the director.

Because of the TriCaster we have been charging the lower side of the VT scale. With TriCaster Pro I can see it moving out the door more instead of the VT system. Even though our VT4s are rigged and ready for the road...The TriCaster Pro offers a good bang for the buck at a small size.

PIZAZZ
05-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Keep in mind that if you are just switching back and forth between cameras then you can rent a number of different switchers to do that, MX50/70, Edirol V4, GV100, etc. If you are using the VT then EXPLOIT IT in ever possible way. Create and Use motion graphic content for lower thirds, sidebars, and full screens. Offer Web Streaming. Give the client MUCH MUCH more than they could ever get with a hardware based switcher system. That will DEFINITELY justify a higher price.

Paul Lara
05-22-2006, 09:12 AM
That will DEFINITELY justify a higher price.

...and just as important, will differentiate your company against other guys who can 'only' switch, meaning they'll come back for your services again and again. ;)

bbeanan
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Jeff is right use your system to charge more... My rates range from a low of $75 per hour for just me +$400 per day for my VT4 if I am just editing to a high of $450 per hour for me +$2k for my toaster for the day (granted I only got this once and it was for a emergency edit session on a Sunday night at 11pm and I was sick with a 104 deg. temp. (and I still did the edit faster than their in-house AVID guy could have done it on their $2 million dollar system and I was in some hotel ballroom))

For your application I could see you charge an easy $400 for your system plus $75 per hour up to $150 per hour for an operator.

Ivan
05-23-2006, 01:06 PM
We do things a little different in our production division. We charge a flat rate for the VT or TriCaster rental and then a Day Rate for a technical director.

We usually charge $1000-1500 for the VT4 system and then $350-450 for an experienced director

:) I'm curious what differentiates a $1000 day and a $1500 day. Flat rate usually means a single rate doesn't it?

Ivan

bbeanan
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
if you can just do the gig $1k per day...
if the client would like to help $1500 per day...

most likely you start out at $1500 but do not drop below $1000... every once and a while you get a client who does not try and talk you down on price.

What I do (and just did) was I did my proposal for a video shoot I am doing tomorrow. My first estimate was $4700 the client said it was to high and would not pay more than $3500 as such I went back and trimmed down the hours so instead of doing a 6 hour shoot we are now doing a 4 hour shoot. Did not discount my rates or services at all just lowered the quanity to fit the budget and of course the client said but I thought it was going to take 6 hours of filming and I said "yep" but you only gave me a budget for a 4 hour shoot so we will see how many of the shots we can get and not do any that we miss.

Demon8
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm doing a 4 day 3 camera shoot, for a church and they are supplying their camera oerators and director. I'm having them capture to the hard drive, for me to edit each moring after. I also setup the system, ran all the cabling and so on.