PDA

View Full Version : Conform a road to rolling hills - how.

Wade
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
How does one get an object to conform to another yet maintain its relative shape?

Like a road with curbs rolling over a hills and flat land… I could extrude the profile along a spline but that does not work with intersections medians, and alike…

Any easy/hard way of doing this?

Something like a rest on ground function but conform to ground shape!
Something like conform to back round but not flattening to background…

Should I try and drape the thing in Layout and save transformed?

Dodgy
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
You could.... There's also a plugin called MovePointsOnBG which is a real time modify tool. You select your points and move them over the land in one of the viewports (probably the top one) and the points will conform to the surface.
http://www.ribsngibs.com/pages/CG/plugins/plugins.html
You could also use the road as a stencil on the hills.

byte_fx
05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Try this:

1 - make your road object in three - or whatever - layers as needed. One layer for road; one layer for curbs; one layer for median.

Note: Each of these should be flat - no elevation for the curbs for example.

2 - Stencil each layer in turn onto the terrain using an appropriate surface name.

Merge ponts for insurance.

From there you can loft/edit the curbs, smooth shift the items up/down. etc. as needed to give three dimensions.

byte_fx

byte_fx
05-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Ooops -Dodgy typed faster.

Wade
05-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Well close - with the stencil and smooth shift, but I really want to take much more complicated road/curb/drainage/walk... and have them conform to an undulating surface.

Making roads curbs and walks in a flat plan view is a snap but throw in hills –

Thus I want – need to make them flat and then drape them over or conform them to a hill.

So anyone else.

Wonderpup
05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Not sure this will work- but you could try to 'drape' them using cloth fx then save transformed?

Wade
05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Not sure this will work- but you could try to 'drape' them using cloth fx then save transformed?

Not yet - have never got the hang of cloth fx, but am going to give it a try. It would have to respect some fine detail while relaxing the larger area...

FEATURE REQUEST. “Punch” :hey:

“Punch” takes whatever shape you have in background and adds/multiplies or subtracts that value on any give axis or along the normal of another object.

It would have to
A. Stencil poly outlines
B. Copy surface(s) on a per surface basis, or not – you have an the option
C. Displace the geometry along the axis or poly normal matching exact size, and offering you the option of multiplying, dividing, or subtracting offset amount.

Very useful for adding veins, piping, roads – curbs – side walks to hilly and flat ground. Or having a cartoon face planted in a slammed door and leaving a dent that is the impression of the face…

O heck you could do an endo morph and have veins pulsating! :agree:

Silkrooster
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Kind of reminds me of the magnet tool, Make sure your road has enough segments, adjust the falloff of the magnet and pull upwards. For finer control spline guide may work, it would use the points of your ground object for the background guide. Problem with that is that it works only on one axis at a time.
Silk

SplineGod
05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
You could use the plusin dodgy mentioned to make some splines conform to a surface. Those can then be used to rail clone and rail extrude things that will conform to the ground.
The same thing can be done using the stencil function. You can do the stencil function to create the edges. Now smooth shift, extend, multishift the stenciled area WITH NO OFFSET. Now do a point merge. This will create 2 point polys arond the stenciled area. Convert those 2 point poly strings to splines. Merge the splines into a single spline. DStorms Poly2Curve plugin works great for this.

Celshader
05-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I wonder if PointFit (http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/plugins/POINTFIT.HTML) could work...use it to make the non-curbed version of the road conform to the shape of the hill, then add the curbs with Bandsaw + Smooth Shifting.

Wade
05-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey thanks again - good ideas all, I will have to work through some of them. :angel:

But I just wonder if someone could or would write the plug-in that punches out what I need. Such a lightweight I am. :D :newtek:

I have been working with some rather involved developments they have parking lots, roads, walks, trails, pools, condos, recreation centers and all on hill sides up, down, sideways, flat, up again.... it takes almost no time to knock out the roads, walks and parking lots, when they are in one plain, but throw in hills and man the work slows to a crawl... I will have to 3x all bids that involve hills. :devil:

When work off a CAD drawing – have them plot to PDF then open in Ill save out as EPS (8) open in Modeler – set scale and you are up and running – its nice to just bevel the parking lot up out of a poly. Now if I were to map out a spline for the center of all roads and parking lots conform them to the hills then try and bevel - much more work - much harder to pull off. :thumbsdow

So anyway thanks I will use some of your suggestions others are yet welcome. :)

And someone make us a do all plug-in “punch” “stamp” it would really - really be a time saver to be able to so work in one axis then “vacuum form” it to another shape yet respecting it’s profile. Like rest on ground but more like melt soft and slump until you rest on the uneven ground. :stumped:

It would be a real eye catcher – everybody would want to add Lightwave to their tool box just for the feature alone. :dance:

Celshader
05-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Like rest on ground but more like melt soft and slump until you rest on the uneven ground.

Have you had a chance to try PointFit (http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/plugins/POINTFIT.HTML)?

faulknermano
05-20-2006, 12:59 AM
my suggestion would be to use displacement mapping (in layout) for the hills and the roads at the same time.

or following the same principle, use the magnet tool(s) in modeler to deform the hills and the roads at the same time.

EDIT: or if with existing hills geometry, maybe generate a displacement map by using a gradient on the hills and set it using Y Distance from pivot. then apply this displacment to the road. just a thought.

omeone
05-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Have you had a chance to try PointFit (http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/plugins/POINTFIT.HTML)?

KO_Pointfit, is yer man :thumbsup:

If you're ever working on anything to do with Civils from 2D Plans... you'll be using this one over and over to keeping dropping stuff all over the lanscape.

This one has been coming up for years and years, maybe it needs some more exposure...

Dodgy
05-20-2006, 04:01 AM
EDIT: or if with existing hills geometry, maybe generate a displacement map by using a gradient on the hills and set it using Y Distance from pivot. then apply this displacment to the road. just a thought.

That would be a definite way to go if you've already built the geometry. Push the camera really far out on the Y, and zoom right in so the landscape fills the camera view and then either use a colour gradient set to distance from camera or use fog to fade the landscape from black to white (my fave as it's a bit easier to adjust and see in the opengl view) colouring the landscape white with luminosity of 100% and making the fog black. Render the view at as big a rez as you want, and then apply that as a displacement in the y to the road surface. .