PDA

View Full Version : eps (or other vector image format) image maps

stib
05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
I want to put a label with text and draawings on an object. I can create a vector based label in illustrator (or freehand or Kontour.. etc) but to use it as an image map I have to rasterise it. Meaning that if I get close enough I'm going to see pixels. How much better t'would be if I could use a vector image as an image map. I can zoom in forever! Not just for text too. Any geometric pattern, gradients whatever.

Castius
05-28-2003, 07:28 AM
Great reqest. I'll add that to the list.

Matt
05-28-2003, 07:52 AM
makes sense, filesizes would be smaller too at huge resolutions.

mattc
05-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Stib,

And how are you planning to render your EPS texture? Well, funnily enough, Rasterize at render time, ok what resolution do you rasterize it to? What about reflections since the rendered is going to have to know about that as well, etc,etc,etc.....

i.e. sounds like a great idea in practice, but implementation would be a real nasty piece of work, and even then, it's doubtful you'd keep everyone happy.

On top of that, is the effort worth it? I mean, you're making up for a lot of user laziness here. :)

Kind Regards
Matt

Mylenium
05-29-2003, 06:10 AM
Hi mattc,

Normally I'm also sceptical about such ideas but this one should not be to difficult. The answers to your questions are quite obvious:

a) Rasterize at render time - that says all. Once the image (or only the part that is actually needed) has been rasterized and written to the respective buffers it will be visible to reflections and refractions. There is no magic required because rasterization would always be the very first step in the rendering process.

b) What resolution? That should not be to difficult as well. Basically this would work like procedurals - take the frame resolution, sample the actual pixel once, do some more passes for adaptive oversampling. Since in an EPS (or most other vector formats) line thicknesses etc. are stored in real world units it would be no problem for the renderer to know how to interpret them. Even if that posed a problem, you could always add an option at how many dpi to interpret the file.

Mylenium

stib
05-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mattc
Stib,

And how are you planning to render your EPS texture? Well, funnily enough, Rasterize at render time[..]

yes mate, it would be rasterised at render time. I'm a newbie but I thought that's what rendering was all about: you turn vector based geometric things like polygons into pixel based pictures. So why not build your textures the same way you build your objects? You don't make your models by glueing together 3d pixels.

[..]user laziness[..]
Eh? The user is always forced to compromise between what is an acceptable resolution for an image map and the file size/render time. If you don't need to make this compromise wouldn't that be a good thing?