PDA

View Full Version : Mesh problems (again)

Sarford
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM
For some reason the eye's of my character are popped back in his head.
If I open the model in Modeler everything is fine.

I set bones to off, disabled IK and deform and recorded every bone in the mesh. But the eye's stay in the back of the head, even when I put everything back on again...

I had the eye's parented to to head-bone but even if I parent them to nothing they stay at the same place, even if I move the frameslider a few frames. All of the above is done at frame 0 and I have no aditional keyframes.

What am I missing here?

regards, Simon

SplineGod
05-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Are the eyes in a separate layer?
If you are parenting eye eye to the head bone make sure each is in its own layer and that their pivot points are set the center of each eye.
Once you move the objects from modeler to layout you cant reset the pivot in modeler. Youll either have to do it layout or do it in modeler, resave the object and reload in layout.

Sarford
05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did as you said and strangely enough, the pivot points were not in the center. Odly, couse I could have sworn I set them right. The eye's were already both on a seperate layer.

Anyhow... When I now load my scene the eye's are in the centre of the body. They are moving the wrong way :P

What could be the problem behind this? It did work before, eye's on the right place and all...

SplineGod
05-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Do the eyes have any motions on them?
You may have parented them to the bones on a frame other then 0.
If you do that additional keyframes will be created.
Make sure you do that with parent in place on.

Sarford
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I can't even find that button!

What does that button do Larry? If you're gonna draw bones you have to switch it off, now I have to switch it on... I realy don't get it.

kruemel_1
05-19-2006, 03:32 AM
"Parent in Place" is in the options panel. If set, objects stay at their world position when parented to another object. If not, their movement is added to the parents movement/rotation, their worldposition changes.
So if your's charakter eyes pivot is on the base of the bone you parented them, then parent in place was off. The solution is simple: move the parented eyes to the right place.

Sarford
05-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Ah, I get it
PARENT in this meaning means the PROCESS of parenting, NOT the parent of the thing you are parenting!! Quite confusing terminology...

I still gonna have to try this thing several times before I grasp the concept, but thank you very much for the explanation (you too Larry).

SplineGod
05-19-2006, 03:27 PM
A simple way to test it is to make a null and move it away from the origin.
Make another null and leave it in place.
Parent the 2nd null to the 1st with Parent in Place OFF.
As soon as you do it will snap to the the first one.
If you try it with Parent in Place ON it will stay in place.