PDA

View Full Version : LW 9 Question

DHudson
05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Hello all- I have LW 8 I'm loving it and have used it for about 4 months now.

I have a huge project coming up where I will need to wrap wood moulding eps files around a specifically sized rectangular windows, floors, ceilings and doors. I have have several hundreds of these to do in order to display the wood mouldings. (ie: crown, floor, and chair mouldings, etc...)

LW 8 does not seem to have a quick way to do this unless I use the Lathe tool and told it how many sides, then somehow size it to the correct configuration.

Is there an easier way to do this? Is there an answer in LW 9?

Thank you!

Dodgy
05-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but if you upgrade you get LWCAD, which includes a plugin called engraver which will 'extrude' a profile around the selected band of polygons.

Look at Engraver here:
http://www.wtools3d.com/lwcad_polygonDetail.htm

DHudson
05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Dodgy- Thank you for the info. I wanted to show you what I was doing to see if you thought there was an better way to do it.

- The 1st pic shows what I begin with (originally, an Illustrator eps file).

- The 2nd pic shows me "Lathing" it in LW (but it is the wrong size).

- The 3rd pic shows what I want the original illustrator eps file to become. (to get this, what I did was extrude the moulding 4 times, cross them over each other to form a frame and then use the knife tool to cut away the overlapping ends.

There HAS to be a better way. Thanks!

Dodgy
05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds like Engraver is exactly what you're looking for.
You load you profile, add it to the LWCAD library (easy) then draw out a rectangle of the right size, bevel it in to the right thickness and delete the centre square to make the frame base. Apply Engraver and select your profile and it's extruded around the 'frame'. Easy

Wonderpup
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi,

Just to point out, I think the lightwave cad offer is pre release thing- so it may not continue after 9 comes out. It's not actualy part of the official upgrade- more of a one off 'special'

dgon64
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Dodgy, How do you exactly add a profile to the LWCAD library. As you say, it's probably easy but I couldn't get one of my profiles added-I know- some things just elude me. It had been mentioned in an earlier thread that a tutorial on how to do this would be added to Newtek-Europe's site but it hasn't appeared or I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks for any help. Looking forward to upgrading to LWCAD 2.0 and Wonderpup- the Engraver Tool is just what you need for trim like that-takes alot of the tedium out of work like that. It would be worth purchasing LWCAD seperately if you can't afford the LW9 upgrade price.

DHudson
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Is LWCAD anything like AutoCad? I had to learn AutoCad for a project and learning it was a bear! (coming from a graphic artist background).

stevecullum
05-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I've picked up LWCAD pretty quickly, and now there are some tools I just can't live out! Its very easy to get to grips with once you've done a couple of the tutorials that are on the w-tools website. - recommended!

SplineGod
05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
DHudson,
You could import the EPS file as a spline.
Create a single poly and do a rail bevel.

DHudson
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey SplineGod- doesn't importing as a spline alter the shape of the EPS? I thought it deletes crisp edges.

SplineGod
05-18-2006, 09:46 PM
If that happens its usually where you have sharp corners but thats usually pretty simple to fix. :)

DHudson
05-19-2006, 06:15 AM
I have over 500 different mouldings to bring in and wrap around frames, I would say at least 95% of them have some sharp edges.

The shapes have to stay true to their original shape, too, since I'm making a tool to sell the mouldings, I don't think that splining them will work.

I appreciate your suggestion, though! I bow to your SplineGodness. :)

Signal to Noise
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Is LWCAD anything like AutoCad? I had to learn AutoCad for a project and learning it was a bear! (coming from a graphic artist background).

LWCAD = The very, very, very, very, very poor (quite destitute actually) man's AutoCAD.

I use AutoCAD (& MicroStation) in my profession. I could not use LWCAD for the same tasks. LWCAD is great for LightWave, tho'. A real necessity, imo.

DHudson
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Okay, now that LW 9 is out, are there any new tools that will work for me (making mouldings as described above)?

... Or are we still talking LWCAD?

Thank you for any replies! :)

Celshader
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Okay, now that LW 9 is out, are there any new tools that will work for me (making mouldings as described above)?

Not sure about new tools, but how about this old Pictrix tool? It's free:
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/PolyFramer/index.html

...you'll have to convert the EPS files to polygons, though...