PDA

View Full Version : CGtalk lighting challenges

slatr
05-17-2006, 03:52 PM
I would like to see more Lightwave participation. :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon:

It is fun and you get critique from Jeremy Birn, forum host and lighting author.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=356958

:lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon:

toby
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I've seen these before, I'd love to give it a go, if I can find the time -
Jeremy Birn is my heeero!

Wickster
05-19-2006, 12:00 AM
hmmm... i wonder if that new LW9 node texturing thing is allowed...i'm sure if any of the beta testers see this challege they would be tempted to join just to test it out. too bad the NDA would not allow them to reveal they used LW9 on it.

on another note though...Nitisara's Glasswork plugin just released at the right time for this. If anyone want to try the plugin on the objects its over at the Third Party Discusion Forums.

Captain Obvious
05-19-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm giving it a go in Kray right now, but I'm having some problems. The surface thickness gradient only works if you have air polygons, but Kray doesn't need air polygons. In fact, air polys in Kray screws things up... But absorbation makes the glass look good! Argh!

The modo 201 rendering that Mike RD posted looks pretty good. 16 minutes for a this complex scene with GI is pretty good, I think. Too bad it doesn't do caustics. :P

oDDity
05-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Well I already won the third lighting challenge (well, there is no voting, but mine was clearly head and shoulders above the rest)
What with doing the David model and now some commercial work, I haven't time for this one.
I'm sure Ligthwave will win again though)

Lamont
05-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll give it a shot... I am sure LW 9 would be allowed, but you just can't say it was w/lw9.

slatr
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I just say Lightwave and not the version and I still on 7.5d

Upgrade has been ordered though :lwicon:

Digital Hermit
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Well I already won the third lighting challenge (well, there is no voting, but mine was clearly head and shoulders above the rest)
What with doing the David model and now some commercial work, I haven't time for this one.

Heh - Those Maya guys, with their $6000+ 3D platform, tryin' to beat Lightwave ... what were they thinking! :screwy:

BTW, oDDity - a belated congratulations on winning that challenge! Inspiring!

Regards,

Digital Hermit

Captain Obvious
05-20-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree that your image was clearly one of the best (I also liked Michael_FD's image, and lazzhar's final image was also great), but rendering all those glass refractions in Lightwave... It's going to be S-L-O-W! I suppose Fprime or Kray might be able to do something nice. I rather like the overall quality of the light in the image I rendered, but there are a ton of errors and no real textures yet... Oh well, we'll see.

oDDity
05-21-2006, 03:03 AM
Are you drunk? Lazzhar's looks like something a 7 year old would be proud of.
Michael_FD's backdrop was good, but that wasn't the challenge, the challenge was to render the hare, and you could barely see his as a tiny spec on the horizon. 3/4 of his image is sky. He chickened out of the challenge.
Most of the rest of them I actually laughed out loud at. I know it makes me sound like a twat, but I cant believe the total lack of an internal quality meter some people seem to have.
This was the first fur I ever rendered, I am a total noob at it, yet my result looked professional - it looked far better than Jeremy Birn's.
I just wish people woul put more effort into these things, that's all.
On a more positive note, most of the glass renders look really great.

Captain Obvious
05-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Are you drunk? Lazzhar's looks like something a 7 year old would be proud of.
I'm talking about this image (http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4968/fire017jq.jpg). I like it. Or, more specifically, I like the lighting. There is some aliasing on the whiskers and whatever, but the general lighting looks good I think.

Michael_FD's backdrop was good, but that wasn't the challenge, the challenge was to render the hare, and you could barely see his as a tiny spec on the horizon. 3/4 of his image is sky. He chickened out of the challenge.
Chickened out? He created a good-looking image. Of all the images posted in that thread, I think his is the one that conveys the most emotion.

oDDity
05-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, but it had nothing to do with the actual challenge of rendering and lighting fur on a rabbit...
As for Lazzhar's, take the rabbit out of the scene and it looks ok, but that's exactly the problem all the images had, the rabbit fur rendering looked terrible and detracted from the rest of the image, which is not such a good thing in a challenge about lighting and rendering a rabbit's fur.
I was the only one who managed a good looking and realistic rabbit, which either tells you how good I am, or how good Steve Worley is.

Mike_RB
05-21-2006, 12:48 PM
It's a fun challange so far but unfortunately I haven't much time to devote to it. So it's been mostly playing around with different HDR's on simple glass surfaces.

Captain Obvious
05-21-2006, 01:56 PM
It's a fun challange so far but unfortunately I haven't much time to devote to it. So it's been mostly playing around with different HDR's on simple glass surfaces.
That's exactly what I've been doing as well. Well, that and trying to get the renderer to work to my liking. Kray still has a few bugs that need ironing out.

Yes, but it had nothing to do with the actual challenge of rendering and lighting fur on a rabbit...
How is that relevant? He did an image he liked. So what if it has nothing to do with the challenge? I sure as **** didn't load it up to win anything. It's a challenge, not a competition.