PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Suggestions?

iDV8
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm getting to the point of needing a new computer and since I can start from scratch I was wondering what some of you suggest. I do video and cg but not real heavy loads. I'll upgrade to LW9 but I don't know much about the 32 and 64 bit deal.
I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance! :lwicon:

P.S. I'm considering switching platforms... PC to MAC. Let the games begin!

Lightwolf
05-17-2006, 02:22 PM
What is your budget like?
Currently I'd go for a dual core Athlon64... a decent mid-range rig will set you back around 1500 - 2000US$.
Quiet, fast and not too expensive.

Cheers,
Mike

iDV8
05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm flexable up to $35,000. Just kidding. I was anticipating spending between $2,000 to $3,000 for the computer and what's left over from the $35,000 would go to a mid range monitor. :D
I noticed you are also in Europe, do you know of a good source to buy from here?

ShawnStovall
05-17-2006, 02:44 PM
I would recommend the same thing, but I would also like to to add a Quad SLi for the GeForce 7900 GTX with your budget I think you could wing it.

Lightwolf
05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
I noticed you are also in Europe, do you know of a good source to buy from here?
Great, we can talk € then :D

I usually by ma stuff on-line at www.alternate.de, but they don't seem to ship to France. There is also a smaller dealer in town that I've been buying from for 15 years now. Then again, I also build my own PCs.

We just build a custom dual core Atlon for our editing system. It ended up at roughly 2000€, but that was including three drives for video storage.

I'd go for a dual core Athlon, an nVidia based motherboard (preferably the 32x from Asus, since it is passively cooled, no annoying fan!), a decent case, a 7600 nVidia gfx board as the minimum and 2x1GB of Ram.
... if you build your own that is.

You could also wait for a couple of months and see what intel will have to offer by the end of July, it could get quite intereting in terms of price/performance.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
05-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I would recommend the same thing, but I would also like to to add a Quad SLi for the GeForce 7900 GTX with your budget I think you could wing it.
I'd rather get two dual core Opterons before I'd go SLI. then again, I render and composite a lot...

I always get the fastest CPU I can get, and a second or third class gfx solution (then again, I don't game either, and LW9.0 might change the way it uses openGL for the better).

Cheers,
Mike

ted
05-17-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not smart enough to say what you should buy, but a good tip is to budget every cent you can afford, then add 20% more. :D
This will help you feel good about your system an extra few months. :hey:

iDV8
05-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. That will start me in the right direction.

It is sad isn't it, to watch your state of the art system give you bragging rights for about three weeks before it ages hundreds of years before your eyes.

Lightwolf
05-18-2006, 02:01 AM
It is sad isn't it, to watch your state of the art system give you bragging rights for about three weeks before it ages hundreds of years before your eyes.
That's why I hardly ever get a top of the line system. The next cheaper CPU, gfx board etc... usually works just as well, and costs lots less.
I always look for good quality components though, case, fans PSU...

Cheers,
Mike

TheDynamo
05-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I just got one of those 15.4 inch inspirons from dell with the dual core 1.66 and ATI graphics card. I have to admit this thing makes my current 3Ghz workstation at home look downright pokey. Spring for the extra processing power, some ram and make sure you get the ultra high resolution monitor and you have yourself a regular little workstation :)

Mine is fairly humble but then I only paid $933 for it. Toss in about 300 more and you can have a good workstation, heck even get the 17 inch one if you feel up to it.

Dual Core 1.6
ATI 128 MB GFX Card
1 GB Ram (easily upgradable)
80 GB HDD
HIGH Resolution 1650 x 1080 monitor with glossy screen.

-Dyn

iDV8
05-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Now you got me thinking of a lap top! I love the portability of lap tops and now the dual processors make them fast. What is the biggest draw back, power and price?

Lightwolf
05-19-2006, 03:39 AM
What is the biggest draw back, power and price?
Expandability - only 2 banks for RAM, making anything beyond 2GB _very_ expensive at the moment. Hard to add drives, video boards (as in video editing), upgrade anything etc...
no 64bit - should change once the Turion X2 is out...
warranty - you better get a decent warranty. If anything breaks any you need a spare it will get _very_ expensive unless covered by the warranty. With a standard PC you can just pop into almost any stroe and get a replacement.

Also, laptop displays don't really have the same quality, viewing angle etc. as desktop displays do.

You do pay a price for the portability.

Cheers,
Mike

zapper1998
05-19-2006, 04:43 AM
I'm getting to the point of needing a new computer and since I can start from scratch I was wondering what some of you suggest. I do video and cg but not real heavy loads. I'll upgrade to LW9 but I don't know much about the 32 and 64 bit deal.
I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance! :lwicon:

P.S. I'm considering switching platforms... PC to MAC. Let the games begin!
I would do the Dual core Opterons, Tyan MB, and Ram, The Tyan MB can be overclocked....I have my 265 Opterons OC'd from 1.8 to 2.0 ghz and running stable and chip temps are well with in temp 32c..

Michael

iDV8
05-19-2006, 09:46 AM
You make an exelent point about the laptops limitations vs. their portability.

This is all very helpful, especially the component suggestions.

Thanks! :thumbsup: