PDA

View Full Version : aligning points?

danielh68
05-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Hi,

Is there any way to align points much like aligning points in Adobe Illustrator using the pathfinder tool. For instance, I'm working on a human model and I want to align all the points on the knuckles to the Z coordinate, currently to do this I select those points, drag them to the 0 coordinate, look in the bottom left corner to see the distance it has moved, undo the action so the points are back on the hand, crtl "V" type in 3' or whatever in the Z field, then hit OK. For me, this is a long process.

Getting back to illustrator, I can select the points and align vertical or horizontal and it will take the average of the two farthest points selected and align all the points accordingly.

Anyhow, does anyone have any shortcuts for doing this?

Thanks,
Dan

hrgiger
05-27-2003, 07:27 PM
If you mean move all your selected points to a fixed plane, then yes, you'll find the set value command under the details tab in modeler. It will allow you to snap your points in any axis you choose at any height.

riki
05-27-2003, 07:37 PM
You've got about 4 options.

1. Select the Points and use 'CMD + i' to bring up the Point Info panel which you can use to set the XYZ positional value for all of the Points at the same time.

2. Use 'CTRL + v' to bring up the Set Value panel which basically does the same thing.

3. Select the Points and use the Stretch Tool in one of the Orthoganal Viewports with a value of 0%. You may want to use this in conjunction with the CTRL key to constrain the axis.

4. You can also use the Aligner Tool but this has a different kind of result.

danielh68
05-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys, life is suddenly a lot easier. I really like the Point Info solution. Anyhow, thanks again.

Best Regards,
Dan