PDA

View Full Version : Only spotlights will cast shadows on ground

Don Miguel
05-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I must have something set wrong somewhere. I'm trying to composite some objects into scene against a picture background. I have placed a simple groundplane into the scene to catch shadows from the objects on the ground. However, shadows will not appear on the groundplane unless I use a spotlight with shadow maps. Any other type of light will not make a shadow appear on the groundplane. The objects cast shadows on themselves, but not on the groundplane.

I have checked all the settings that I know to check: Raytrace shadows are checked on the Render Options panel, the objects property panels are set to cast shadows, the groundplane property panel is set to receive shadows, the light property panels are set correctly, the groundplane is facing the right direction.

I'm currently using Lightwave 8.5. I did composite scenes in Lightwave before version 8.5 and I don't remember having this problem, but then again, I may have always used spotlights, so maybe I didn't notice.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Am I missing something?

hrgiger
05-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Strange. I've never seen that in 8.5. Could you possibly post a scene and object file for us to look at?

Don Miguel
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, hrgiger. It's working now, but I don't know why. I created a simple example scene with a groundplane and a ball to show you. I created it in the same folder as my original composite scene. I tested it and it worked the same - only the spotlight created a shadow. Then I copied the scene into a new folder to make it easy to find when attaching to this message. I tested it again before sending, and suddenly the Distant Light was creating a shadow also, but none of the other lights other than the spotlight. I closed the scene, opened it again and then all the lights were creating a shadow on the groundplane.

Since putting the scene file into a new folder caused the lights to work differently in the example scene, I copied my original composite scene into a new folder. Now all of the lights are creating shadows on the groundplane. Strange, but it worked.