PDA

View Full Version : How do I speed this up?

cobaltman
05-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi. Sometimes when I try to make clones in modeler, it slows down a lot. It even freezes on occasion.:cry: Rendering in Layout can be enough of a pain, but cloning is worse at times.

I have been trying to add leaves to a tree recently using the clonez tool and it is taking forever. Is there any way to speed up things like this?

Capt Lightwave
05-16-2006, 04:39 AM
At least make sure you're not updating such heavy objects with the Hub and Layout running with the same object loaded...

Wonderpup
05-16-2006, 06:23 AM
If your leaves are modeled it may be worth considering clip mapped images instead, that way you could use low res geometry and still get a detailed look.

cobaltman
05-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I usually don't run both applications unless I absolutely need to, so I got that down pat. I'll try the picture idea and see if that works. Also, I didn't get around to updating to 8.5 and I think that it can use multi-processor. Would that help speed? If so, is there a link to the update page?

hrgiger
05-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Yes, break up your leaves object into layers. It will still be slow when all layers are active (such as upon startup) but once you're only viewing a single layer or two at a time, you shouldn't have a problem. If it freezes upon startup, try to make your leaves in a few seperate object files and then cut and paste it into one object by bringing it in via seperate layers. It's a pain, but it will work. Modeler is supposed to become much more responsive during the 9.x cycle. Until then, it's probably your only option.