PDA

View Full Version : Wind problem

illusory
05-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Is there anything special i have to do to get the wind object to work along with a collision object?

I have a collision object breaking up my main object, then a wind object is supposed to blow the pieces. Main object is set up with Hard fx. It breaks apart from the collision objects just fine, but the wind does not seem to affect the pieces. I'm using 'direction', with the lines pointing in the direction i want them to go. I've tried so many settings, plus scaling the wind object up, but nothing seems to have the desired effect -- to blow the pieces in the direction i want them to go..

Anything i could be missing here?

thanks,
NJ

illusory
05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Any help out there for this? Does Wind fx not work with Hard fx? Is there anything i have to enable to get it to work?

please...?:help:

Dodgy
05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
It should do. Have you set the HardFX resistance higher than the default of 0.01? That determines how hard bodies are affected by wind. And set the wind falloff to None?

evolross
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm having issues getting a wind to work on the pieces of a HardFX object after its collision. I'm using a directional wind to test and have it setup with no falloff, heavy wind, 1000%, 5' in the X direction. I have the size effect to "region" and it's scaled up large enough to cover the whole scene.

I can't get it to work at all. I did notice there's a Wind Effect setting under HardFX. Playing around with this does allow the pieces to recognize the wind, but the effect isn't what I want on any option. I want the pieces to behave normally as if being affected by the wind itself... not the wind affecting their spin, acceleration, etc.

Any ideas?

Dodgy
11-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Could I see your scene?

evolross
11-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I can't post the scene I'm actually working on, but here's a simple example I set up that illustrates the exact same issue.

Thanks for taking a look.

ramccombe
11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I just checked your scene and you were correct, no wind affecting the pieces. I checked "start by collision" on the Hard FX collision tab, changed the wind to up on the Y to be sure the wind was affecting the direction of the pieces and it seemed to work. See attached image. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

evolross
11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Hmm... it's still not working for me. I can add "Start By Collision" and try all kinds of combinations with the wind settings and nothing changes.

Are you sure you got it working?

erikals
11-22-2010, 05:17 PM
from what i saw it was a mix of settings that didn't go along.
HardFX requires some experimentation /understanding of how it works.

the settings need to make sense, no sure what you did wrong, could be a number of things, but here is a scene that works... :]

ramccombe
11-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Hmm... it's still not working for me. I can add "Start By Collision" and try all kinds of combinations with the wind settings and nothing changes.

Are you sure you got it working?

I did, but I just checked and I also changed the resistance of the pieces to 3.
Here is your scene with my changes just calculate the dynamics of course. Let me know if it works for you. :)

evolross
11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Both your examples work, thanks. However, I noticed both of you have turned up the resistance on the HardFX object. This works for a directional wind and changing the direction of the pieces, but I was only using a directional wind in my example as a test, since it's an obvious wind effect. I'm actually trying to get a vortex wind to affect the falling pieces as they fall with their own gravity.

I'm basically trying to get the pieces to wiggle/vibrate as they fall as if they are falling through a vortex like wind, a very strong wind, but still retain their own gravity. I notice a vortex wind works if the resistance is high, but the pieces come to a stop for it to work.

This is the real problem I'm having.

erikals
11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
so, like a tornado?

evolross
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
No, more like general turbulence, as if the pieces were fluttering in real wind as they fall.

erikals
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
urm,... like confetti?

Mr Rid
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
... I notice a vortex wind works if the resistance is high, but the pieces come to a stop for it to work.

This is the real problem I'm having.

The problem is the .01 resistance is so low that you have to counter with a much higher wind power, and Heavy Wind is finicky.

In the "windCollisionTest_v001" scene, select Vortex (or whichever) for Wind Mode, select any Blend Mode other than Heavy Wind, crank up the power to 100000%+, and it works.

LW resistance really ought to be a general air 'drag' value that is separate from how much wind affects the object.

evolross
11-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Ridster... that was it! Cranked up the wind really high and got the look I was after. Thanks to everyone else though too... I learned a few things about Wind and HardFX with this thread. :thumbsup:

Mr Rid
11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Did illusory's problem get resolved?

To reiterate, in the physical world there is atmospheric density/viscosity (air, water) that 'resists' the movement of objects, and then there is how hard wind blows. These two forces really ought to be kept as separate values and not overlap in LW's 'resistance'. I suppose objects could also have an independent friction value to tweak with.

bazsa73
11-26-2010, 03:06 AM
I just noticed that if you deactivate a wind on the object properties panel it still affects the scene.

cagey5
11-26-2010, 03:13 AM
I just noticed that if you deactivate a wind on the object properties panel it still affects the scene.

Probably need to re-calculate.

Mr Rid
11-26-2010, 03:21 AM

Sometimes its a matter of calculating, or its the long time bug resulting after a scene reload. Enable the wind and disable it again. Winds may also get buggy with multiple groups.

bazsa73
11-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Yes gentlemen, but it happened while I was doing the recalculation!

Mr Rid
11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
As I said, check then uncheck the wind under Geometry tab. You may have to do this every time you reload the scene. And is the wind part of a group?