PDA

View Full Version : XDOF and Lightwave 9?

Mr. Limpet
05-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Seeing that Lightwave 9 is around the corner and my retailer is offering XDOF as an add-on for $139, does anybody know if LW9 has additional depth-of-field features? I have Worley G2, does anyone have both and if so do they play well together or is running both just asking for trouble?

Thanks for any info.

UnCommonGrafx
05-14-2006, 06:07 PM
You do understand that no one can properly answer that.

:(

Thor Simpson
05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
You do understand that no one can properly answer that.

Sure they could, at least to an extent.

How's this: No DOF features are listed on the feature list for L9 here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_features.php

Or Jay Roth's letter here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_letter.php

What features are you hoping for?

Mr. Limpet
05-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Just trying to make sure I don't buy something I don't need or won't work with other plugins.

I looked over the new feature set for LW9 and didn't see anything new with DOF so I assume nothing new there, no redundancy of features with XDOF. So XDOF still looks like a good investment.

My other question has more to do with current LW versions than 9 assuming what works in 8.5 will continue to work.
Will XDOF work when you are using G2 for rendering? For that matter, will it show up in FPrime? In asking the question, I am just seeing if someone else already has any experience using both. Obviously NewTek wouldn't answer that question. Neither Worley nor Evasion3D have usergroups listed on thier websites. I will drop Worley tech support an email tomorrow.

Thor, my understanding of XDOF is that it dramatically speeds up the rendering of DOF effects over other kinds of post-filters or raytraced DOF. It is a simulation of DOF, not an actual calculation within the camera as I understand it, but the examples on their website look very good.

XDOF certainly looks like a great tool and it's being offered at a great price.
Assuming no problems with G2 I will probably buy it.

RedBull
05-14-2006, 11:05 PM
As far as i'm aware XDOF-II works fine with G2 surfaces.
XDOF-II will NOT preview or work in conjunction with FPrime.

FPrime uses LW settings for it's 2.5D DOF.

In my experience XDOF-II is not faster than LW's DOF, or Digital Confusion.
It's easier to setup, and has more control and nicer quality than LW's DOF.
XDOF does not require AA, so it can be faster for test renders, than LW's DOF.

XDOF-II does do really nice quality, and for that price it's a good buy...

But for the best of rendertimes and control, usually DOF is best as a post effect anyway. Jeremy's IDOF3 may worth be looking into as it's cheaper.
But they are two very differen't ways of doing things.

Mr. Limpet
05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
RedBull,
Thanks for that info. Based on your recommendation I took a look at iDof's website and have decided to give that a whirl. Render times are already a concern for me and it's probably better to push DOF functions to compositing when they can be. It's great to see that 9 is supposed to render significantly faster than 8.5. I am just going to hold onto those gains for now.