PDA

View Full Version : Radial Array not good enough

broli
05-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Hello there, I'm trying to get this object cloned on a circular object. As you may see in the picture below, some cloned pillars stick out of the place they should be on of course this is because I'm working low poly. So I'm basically looking for something like SP Clone(clone according to the normal vector) but with more control. So if anyone would help me out I would really appreciate it.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3994/radialarray2hj.jpg

Silkrooster
05-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I think it has to do with 16 not being divisable by 12.
Silk

Silkrooster
05-13-2006, 04:48 PM
If you want 16 columns try making your other peices with 16 or 32 points, this will make the columns fall in line with the points. Thing to remember on your peices between the points is a straight line, not an arc. Radial arrays follow an arc to make a circle.
Silk

broli
05-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Yes I already knew that. But that's why I'm looking for a plugin or something that's polygon based, and will perfectly align them on the object. I can't afford adding polies just to meet the requirement of them lineing up

cobaltman
05-14-2006, 01:46 PM
What are you trying to make, anyway? I'm guessing that it is part of a building since it has pillars, but I'm not sure. The only thing I can guess to do is create more than one radial array with the root pillar at different distances from the center. To make sure that each array is done correctly, remember these things:

1. Both 16 and 12 is divisable by 4. 360 (degrees) is also divisable by 4. Might help with angles.

2. Since there will be more than one array, that means use a smaller number of clones in each array than you would in that one array you had done.

Another method you can try is scale the diameter of the pillars to a different size and/or try to center them to the foundation as much as possible. Hope these things help.

cobaltman
05-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Wait, I got a better idea while I was shopping in town. It is a simple one, too. It has to do with the big object that those pillars are attached to. Is it a ring-shaped part or dome? Try smooth-shifting it just a tiny bit until you have it covering the pillars. You are not making any changes to the pillars, so that should do the trick.

colkai
05-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Make a copy of your object, subdivide it / knife / bandsaw to get your placement points, run the NUT plugin or clone.
Your object is not radial, it has multiple flat sized ,radial array will be based off a curve (circle), thus the offset problems.

monfoodoo
05-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Would Point Clone Plus be of help?

colkai
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
If he used bandsaw and slice, it surely would as one could organise precisely where the columns would fall.
Threw this together, each layer represents a stage in the process.
Layer 9 is what you could end up with.

broli
05-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks very much everybody, I did sort it out somehow by just ending up using more sides :p...but I'll keep all these suggesting in mind if given the same situation again