PDA

View Full Version : Hyper voxel Jam !

chemaelizondo
05-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Im working on a transparent glass jar containing strawberry jam which I want to create using hypervoxels.

Is there a way to prevent the Hyporvoxel from rendering outside of the glass limits?

Should I use polygons instead?:stumped:

Thanks

JM

RedBull
05-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Likely faster to use poly's...

But if you made the jar a collision object with the particles, that would likely solve the HV problem.

stevecullum
05-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Give you particles some size too.

SplineGod
05-13-2006, 09:23 PM
LW 9 will allow HVs to assume the shape of the surface theyre attached to. I would use geometry. :)

evenflcw
05-14-2006, 04:52 AM
That's very interesting Larry... could you tell us more? There are alot of hacks in which to achieve something simular. For example placing a voxel at each point or polynormal and then scaling the voxel depending on the distances to surrounding points/polynormals (so if distance is great the voxel is bigger to bridge the gaps around it). I suppose though that the new APS might prove usefull in retesselating a mesh to aquire a mesh with an even point distribution which would allow you to have voxels of the same size allover the mesh (not bigger than a pixel for detail) . Still there's the problem of hvs inherent blobbyness (thet're always pretty much round; but if you have enough small ones tightly packed that might not be a problem) and being able to project the underlying meshs (UV) textures onto the voxels somehow.

EDIT: Hmmm... are you tallking about TuffLittleUnits Waterpool plugin maybe? It does flatten voxels along surface normals so yes this might help abit (mostly to remove blobby nature of hvs).

SplineGod
05-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Yes, the waterpool plugin. Its supposed to be part of LW9 :)
I would probably still try something with geometry first.

stevecullum
05-14-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm sure I saw a video on the Newtek.TV site from last years show which showed Hypervoxels conforming to the surface of a sphere. Looks very cool!

cobaltman
05-14-2006, 01:51 PM
LW9 is out now, or are you talking about beta? I pre-purchased it and haven't got it yet.

SplineGod
05-14-2006, 02:09 PM
LW9 is only out in beta and hasnt been officially released (unless something happened while I was sleeping... ) :)