PDA

View Full Version : OT - Fritz Lang Metropolis

pauland
05-13-2006, 06:40 AM
For UK LWers, "The Times" is giving away a free DVD of the film "Metropolis", so for 1.20 you can get some cheap inspiration. Picked mine up today, here in the South East, don't know if this is nationwide.

For those wishing to recreate Metropolis, I don't think it's going to be easy..
.. the sleeve says there were over 37,000 extras used in the film..

Paul

Red_Oddity
05-13-2006, 06:52 AM
That's right, it's also (one of) the most expensive German films ever (when counting inflation offcourse).
I wonder which version they give away, as the film has been restored so many times, and so much footage has been lost and found through time.

T-Light
05-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Saw this advertised yesterday on the front of the Times, asked the girl in the garage to put one away for me. Typically I forgot all about it until I saw your post.

Cheers :)

T-Light
05-13-2006, 07:48 AM
It's the original score by a chap called Gottfried Huppertz. Have to say I like the score by Moroder but each to their own :)

dgon64
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
I own 3 versions-one old version on VHS, the Moroder version on Laserdisc and the last "restored" version on DVD. This last version ( which I think is the one being referred to ) contains some missing footage and stills which does add a little to the overall story of Rotwang and the score did match the style of the film. But maybe I'm not enough of a purist as I also preferred the Moroder version. The modern rock score seemed to compliment the sci-fi content more than the original score ( some songs were silly but overall I liked hearing Freddie among others ). Also the tinting of the scenes added visually to the feel of the movie. I saw each of the last two versions on the big screen ( in crowded venues no less-amazing for an 80 year old film ) and was duly impressed each time. One can only aspire to such storytelling. If you haven't seen this last version-hope you enjoy!