PDA

View Full Version : A question about particle velocity

exit6
05-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm having a hard time with a really simple thing, and I've always cheated to get around it. Maybe someone knows the real answer --

When I set a particle emmiter's velocity (in the motion tab) to say, -3 on the x, for some reason instead of the particles travelling at the fixed rate of -3 meters per second, they go about -3 meters and start collecting there. So they move in the right direction but stop. What's the deal? I get around it by using gravity instead of velocity, but I'm sure there's some setting somewhere I'm missing. If god forbid I ever need both velocity AND gravity I'll be in trouble! Well not really but you see the problem. Thanks --

Silkrooster
05-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Try reducing the particle resistance. Also make sure lifetime high enough or at 0.
Silk

exit6
05-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Partilcle lifetime is set to the length of the scene, so that's out. The resistence is default. It can't be that though because when I use gravity, it works. I know I've seen a tutorial somewhere where the guy just clicks on something or changes a setting somewhere and cancels this problem, I just can't remember what it was, or where I saw the tutorial. Yes I'm writing this at 2:45 on a Friday night.

kruemel_1
05-13-2006, 02:30 AM
listen to silkrooster. Particle restistance affects how the particle are broken down from "virtual air" in the scene. If they have no resistance (0) they never stop. You can also increase the Particle Weight, so they have a higher inertia and are harder to stop.