PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Particle Clone/Point Clone Plus tools.

cobaltman
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi. I am wanting to find out about something regarding these tools. I am wanting the item that is to be cloned to stick out from the surface directly.

Let's say, for example, I want nails to be sticking in a complex piece of wood. I want each nail to be going directly into the wood surface at each associated point. I can't seem to find any way to do this with the tools. The problem with Particle Clone is that all the nails will be facing in the same direction. As for Point Clone Plus, it seems to totally randomize the angle without reference to the wood surface. Is there any way to use the surface of the object as a reference?

Dodgy
05-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I always use clonez2 instead. Everything you want from a clone plugin..
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=833

cobaltman
05-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Okay, I have downloaded it. Where will it be located in modeler? I am checking the list under Duplicate and I don't see anything that goes by that name clonez2.

kruemel_1
05-13-2006, 09:02 AM
You have to insert the tool yourself into the menu.
To do so go to Edit->Edit Menu Layout. On the left side you see all the plugins installed (clonez2 is under Additional). On the right side you see all your menus. Under Main Menu->Multiply->Duplicate->Clone would be a good place.
All plugins should also be under Utilities->Additional (long list!)

cobaltman
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks! I keep forgetting about that. I'm forgetful.

This is a VERY sweet plug-in. Why doesn't Lightwave think of these things? As for sub-patched items, I have to freeze them to get clonez2 to work with them. Oh well, it's still cool!:rock:

A "strength" setting for the polygon normals would be a good addition for added control. It would control how much the cloned item is rotated toward the polygon's angle. I think I'll e-mail the creator of the plug-in with that request.