PDA

View Full Version : The Basics

05-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Just got LightWave 3D and searched for instructions for the very beginner. I need to learn the A B C's before I can form a word so where can I find a starting tutorial, book, etc. I need to learn the platform and tools before I can use the software. Like not jump to rigging with no tools. All tutorials I find assume you know how to use LightWave. Someone help with where do I start. Even a model car comes with step by step instructions.
:stumped:

05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
:phone_cal Thanks so much I'll check it out!

dablan
05-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Busywolf, just look right on NewTek's site. There's a ton of great tutorials.
We have our LightWave 8 Signature Course as well - this is a video course that instructs you on using LightWave 8, from the ground up. Check it out at www.3dgarage.com.

Also look for Scott Cameron's LightWave tutorial site - great links there.

And visit www.flay.com for great resources.

Good luck!

05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks, I am on a limited income so courses may be out like the one I found that is $2500.00 oach!
I will look into it but even Newtech could not give me a solution by phone!
While I'm at it can you tell me how to change my info on the left that shows part of my email?

dablan
05-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I think I know that $2500 course - it's not what you want. There are so many great resources out there.

For your posts, look up at the top of the page - go to User CP. That's the control panel. You can change things in there.

And, check your email too -

JVitale
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
My favorate tutorial site
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

SplineGod
05-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey busywolf,
Ive also got an introduction to LW course that goes thru most of what you would need to know to get up and going quickly. It comes with unlimited online support and is project based rather then a tour of the menus. It covers, modeling, texturing, basic rigging, basic animation and fx and is over 35 hours of material. Ive also got about 14 other video titles all on Lightwave that are on my site as well as the KURV studios site. Both sites also have hours of free videos which will give you a good idea of what to expect. :)
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com

Puguglybonehead
05-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Probably the site that got me started was the BetterSpace tutorials.

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/

Some of it may seem a bit dated now, being from the Lightwave 6 era, but I found these to be a lot of fun and a great way to learn your way around. Alexander Shareef's Babylon 5 shuttle tutorial is probably the most helpful part.

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/betterspace-tut-alex01.htm

There are some great links on Scott Cameron's page

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Just keep surfing through them till you find something that matches your interests and learning style.

The best thing, though, is to get yourself a copy of Inside Lightwave, by Dan Ablan. There is so much stuff in that book, it should be the first thing you look at.

You also can't go wrong with Spline God's (Larry Schultz) courses.

DiedonD
05-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Bussy Wolf all I can say is that the best way to learn the A, B, C's is by a video instruction. I would really keep away from books for the time being if I were you. I would sa, your dealing with computers so the books computer is a DVD that can explain how everything works V I S U A L L Y. And that is KEY for beginners. You would just go straight through it, following the instructor as if your in some university with a special well known teacher that is specifically there to teach you how things work. Its a close tight environment for learning that way. And if you skip a few words the "proffessor" wont be annoyed to go a few words back and say them out laud again for you, and in how many times you want to. Wish I was a complete beginner like you again. I wouldve never bought any books. But thats just me. Silkrooster's list is very impressive. If he used the time to type it there, I think you should have the time to look it up. Happy info conquering.

WhiteBoy
05-13-2006, 04:19 AM
For the basics, I found that the "Getting Started Guide" included with [8] was extremely useful. Just read through that and then move on to the more complicated stuff. Don't forget to apply what you read through actual practice, otherwise the informtion will slip off the top of your head and onto the floor.

That's how it works for me, anyway.

05-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Thanks all of you! This is enough to keep me busy for some time. I will have to look through them all I guess for some videos go too fast and you hear clicking or short-cut keys being pushed. I find myself chasing the curcer to see where they are going but in vain. I am sure I will find the right ones eventually in all this. Too late on the books, I have already ordered two, LOL!
Ordered: Essential LightWave 3D 8 and Cartoon character Creation: Volume 2 Rigging & Animation.

Sarford
05-13-2006, 05:21 AM
What basicaly thought me the software was Dan Ablan's book Inside Lightwave. This is a realy great book and can replace the manual you get with lightwave.

dablan
05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks Sarford, glad they worked out for you.

Any learning material you can get is good. Some material is long winded, some is not - find what works and use it to learn and create.

05-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Guy's,
I have the student discounted version which does not come with a manual! So you can see why I am so desperate. Anyway Dan I will be getting your book as soon as I recover from the purchase of the two books I listed above.
I am a visual and hands on learner yet books will help when I can't watch a video and use the software at the same time. Though I can do that to a point by watching on one monitor and LightWave on the other but I have to pause and or back up a few seconds and play again.
Will be nice too, Dan, if your book has a glossary of terminology in the back! Unfortunately I am one of those that want to learn it all but am impatiently wanting to know it all yesterday! When I can start at the beginning I can then move faster absorbing like a sponge, since I do not then have to backtrack for missing or skipped over information!
Talk about wordy and winded, LOL!
BusyWolf
Related to Posts: Made change and added pic, yet do not see how to change name in Blue at top left of post??? :mad: :stumped: :cursin:

SplineGod
05-13-2006, 04:03 PM
All versions should come at least with a PDF version of the manual.
I think a good way to use videos is to watch thru them first to get a good overview where youre going and then follow along after. :)

dablan
05-13-2006, 06:41 PM
Guy's,
I have the student discounted version which does not come with a manual! So you can see why I am so desperate. Anyway Dan I will be getting your book as soon as I recover from the purchase of the two books I listed above.
I am a visual and hands on learner yet books will help when I can't watch a video and use the software at the same time. Though I can do that to a point by watching on one monitor and LightWave on the other but I have to pause and or back up a few seconds and play again.
Will be nice too, Dan, if your book has a glossary of terminology in the back! Unfortunately I am one of those that want to learn it all but am impatiently wanting to know it all yesterday! When I can start at the beginning I can then move faster absorbing like a sponge, since I do not then have to backtrack for missing or skipped over information!
Talk about wordy and winded, LOL!
BusyWolf
Related to Posts: Made change and added pic, yet do not see how to change name in Blue at top left of post??? :mad: :stumped: :cursin:

Right - there should be a PDF, even in the educational versions. Take a look.

From there, the enthusiam you have is your best weapon in learning.

The forums are here, you can email me if you like -
I don't know if other authors respond, but I'm usually online day and night.

Best of luck,

billmi
05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Guy's,
I have the student discounted version which does not come with a manual!

Look around in your Lightwave directory for the PDF version of the manual. At least to me, it's a pretty straightforward and easy to follow manual, reading the glossary of terms at the beginning is a key to understanding the rest as you go.

I use the manual for reference mostly, and the pdf has something a print version doesn't - FIND. Makes it easy to get to what I am looking for. When I need it for something, I usually open it on my notebook, so it can stay open while working on my workstation.

So you can see why I am so desperate. Anyway Dan I will be getting your book

Which is also a good thing. His books walk through what they are teaching with real world examples to help reinforce what you are learning, and the lessons are structured and build on the knowledge you gain as you go, which if you are impatient and want to be moving fast, is good.

SplineGod
05-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Videos are great for demonstrating how tools work as well as workflow but manuals are still great reference to get more indepth information about particular tools or look up things mentioned in videos. :)

geothefaust
05-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey there Busywolf. A word of advice from a relative newbie... Don't buy books for this stuff. Training videos is the only way to fly. I'm on an extremely tight budget as well, so I feel your pain. Right now, I'm going through Splinegod's Character and FX courses and I HIGHLY recommend them. It's drastically improved my basic understanding of Lightwave and modeling abilities. I've gone through almost the entire character series course, to say the least, it woops major buttox!

Not only that, Larry (Splinegod) gives the best support ever. I shoot him questions on a pretty regular basis. He also has support forums on his site. :)

Hope this helps!

Edit: Here is a link for his courses. (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/)

dalecampbelljr
05-13-2006, 10:25 PM
I owned every major Lightwave book out there and I have to be honest without a solid ground to start from...you will find yourself just running in place. I without a doubt recommend Larry Shultzs training CD/DVDs. They are detailed and leave nothing out! They are the best in my opinion. The books are fine AFTER you have the needed training. Plus Larry is always online answering your questions. Don't make the mistake of buying the books now; wait till later. Right now you need to have someone available to answer your ever question, when that question arises and a book no matter how good it is just can't do that. I couldn't afford to go to a school but Larrys course were just as good.

05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Too late on the advice of forget the books, well at least for the two ordered that are listed above in one of my post. As for a course I am going to order and will give my reviews when I am into it for a bit. Thanks all for advice and direction!
:D

fyrissian
05-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Larry (Splinegod) has several free video samples available on his site -- these are worth downloading, not only for the useful tips they contain, but also as a preview of what sort of instruction you can expect if you order one of Larry's courses.

Good luck, 'waver!

Gaze
05-14-2006, 09:12 AM
The forums are here, you can email me if you like -
I don't know if other authors respond, but I'm usually online day and night.

Best of luck,Hi Dan. Did plans for your Lightwave [9] book get cancelled, or is that still in the works? You probably get asked this often. I did a search a while ago, but still unclear on arrival date.

Thanks

dablan
05-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi Gaze,

the Inside LightWave 9 book is in progress. We're working on a cover idea, and the table of contents has been finalized... so I'd imagine it will show soon on Amazon. Thanks.

05-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Dan ,
Isn't 3DGarage going to carry the v 9 book too. I know there are some books there. Just thought I would throw that in.
:)

dablan
05-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Yes it is Ron -
Thanks!