PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a PAL video a.s.a.p.

TAV Media
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey,
Our Pastor will be visiting London to speak at a church there. That church's media department requested we send video clips. How would I go about sending some PAL video clips, what do I need to get, or how can I accomplish this?

Thanks,
Tell-A-Vision Media Ministry

jsanfilippo
05-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Most major cities have companies that convert formats. Look in your yellow pages under video or film. Most of these places do film to tape transfers, and can convert NTSC to PAL and back.

nevmoor
05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Forgive me if I'm off here, but cant you reboot VT to PAL mode, render in PAL and make a DVD from those files?? Someone with more experience please step up!

billmi
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I believe that is the case.

Also, have you asked if they can take it in NTSC? With the bulk of media that is produced in NTSC in the US most folks I know in Europe, even those not involved in production, have multi-standard gear and can view NTSC DVDs/tapes.

rbartlett
05-12-2006, 03:11 PM
It is best to ask to save yourself any trouble, especially if this is a presentation room with laptops and LCD/DLP projectors or computer res capable display panels. However a good percentage of DVD players will play NTSC DVD-Video at either 50i or 59.97i to a standard hookup to a UK TV. Invariably the TV will support 59.97i working too but if anything is a problem, this will be where it is and where you might need to enter the setup menu for the set top dvd player (hence starting out with considering the PC playback that is virtually a non-issue given that you wouldn't make it any harder for yourself by setting a region code or pressing this).

Big big chance this won't be an issue if you have any preparation time available and someone with the awareness of what would be needed. If the attendees don't comprehend all this, ask if one can bring their more technically knowledgable offspring!

Preparing a PAL DVD-Video will be a preference change away in VT (and a project change in DVDWS-SE if that is what you use). Be sure that the frame rate adaptation gives you what you want, or seek the use of a blend or blur in VT or an intermediate tool that you perhaps use instead of VT. However many people comment on the usefulness of VT to do standards conversion and the results can be quite acceptable. However this is the main basis for why you might try to play NTSC in a PAL country as NTSC. Simply because the makers of these decks want to sell in Europe but not to have to do to many changes from their main product they also sell in the US (and by way of the DVD-Video region beating import trade that went on during the early years of DVD-Video adoption) - this technique is in the hands of non-video oriented people and venues.

Ask or offer up the or a sample of the DVD-Video for someone to do a dummy run perhaps. The Internet and a nominated helpful hand might save you a lot of unanswered questions.