PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Gallery

Hiraghm
05-27-2003, 09:47 AM
In the Lightwave fora, we have the Gallery for WIP, and the Gallery for finished work. For various reasons, the WIP gallery gets lots more activity than the finished gallery, and frequently people will still post WIP in the finished section. It's probably rare that anyone considers a scene truly "finished".

I have a suggestion. Why not abandon the finished gallery, and replace it with an animation gallery? And then rename the WIP gallery to just the stills gallery?

There's logic in this. While folks don't often post finished work, and often post wip to the finished section, posting animations is discouraged due to low bandwidth available to some members. But if we had a separate forum dedicated to animations, then those who don't want to waste time on the bandwidth can avoid that entire forum, while still visiting the still scene gallery.

What does everyone think of that idea?

Nick
05-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Think that sounds like a good idee !!
and maybe we will get some more animations online that way...

Matt
05-27-2003, 10:45 AM
maybe we could start a convention (assuming everyone stuck to it) where any post in either gallery has a prefix to indicate what stage it's at . . .

Work In Progress
WIP: My Amazing Render

FINished work
FIN: My Amazing Render

just a thought!

Rei
05-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Also on the subject of Gallery's, with these new boards I hardly ever look at the NT gallerys (they still there?). Why dont all of the images get posted here instead. Anything sent to the email adress is automatically posted here.

Earl
05-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Rei,

I think one of the main reasons the NewTek gallery exists for LW is to showcase the best of what the userbase has done with their software. This way, potential new buyers have an idea and sample of what work is being created.

If the NewTek gallery was replaced with the forum gallery, I think a lot of potential buyers would never see the really GOOD (and polished) images made with LW. Some might stumble upon the forums, but even then they may or may not see something they like (WIP's are great to post and get critiques, but for potential buyers of the software, they aren't always very persuasive - and I don't mean that in a negative way). :cool:

Castius
05-27-2003, 04:26 PM
I agree the finished gallery should be changed to a animation, or taken out all together.

hrgiger
05-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Actually, that's a great suggestion Hiraghm. We should have a WIP gallery and an animation gallery. I rarely see anything in the finished gallery that's actually finished.