PDA

View Full Version : Just an observation About NT tech Support

nevmoor
05-10-2006, 09:45 PM
This is just a comment about the great service that Newtek Support gives! Some may complain about not getting answers but that has not been true in my case. Everytime I have had a problem they have been "Johhny on the Spot." I had to send in my RS8 for service. I got an email at 2:45PM today saying they received it, and one at 5:30PM saying it was shipped back. Hey, maybe they just replaced it with a new one, but in my book 3 hour response time DOESN'T happen with many companies. Definitely not from one of the "big boys". Keep up the good work Newtek. 2006 looks to be a great year!:thumbsup:

ted
05-10-2006, 10:41 PM
256 posts and you just realized this.:D
On the rare occasions something slips through the crack, they are forgiven because they more then make up for it every day. :thumbsup:

jsanfilippo
05-10-2006, 10:42 PM
This thread raises a question - how often do RS-8's go bad? Mine went bad a couple weeks ago, and I've heard of it happening a few other times. Seems a little wierd... is this a flakey component?

I asked my dealer for a price to buy a spare to keep on a shelf! I can't do without it again for another sunday!!!

Pete Draves
05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
you CAN do all your switching from the keyboard,
even the cg's.
Pete

jsanfilippo
05-11-2006, 06:47 AM
you CAN do all your switching from the keyboard,
even the cg's.
Pete

Yes, you CAN... but in my setup, it's completely impractical, if not impossible.

I run Easyworship on the VT - DSK'ing song lyrics over program. So I have an operator sitting with K/V/M running easyworship. Which means that person cannot also be switching with the keyboard or clicking the mouse on the on-screen switcher.

nevmoor
05-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I know that RS8s have had issues. It seems Newtek has done some mods to the newer units circuitry and the drivers. I also know what you mean about using EasyWorship. RIght now we are running it on a second computer though. I want to use it inside VT but that isnt practical for us yet. When the RS8 goes there is no way to switch with the keyboard at the same time. Even typing in a 3rd live, or starting/stopping DDRs can cause issues because the focus shifts.
I clicked record in the capture panel, forgot to switch focus back to the switcher module, hit enter and stopped my capture without realizing it!

Ed Wallick
05-11-2006, 08:46 AM
:agree:

NewTek Service is tops! So many other companies tech support is limited to x number of days, months or whatever, but NewTek keeps plugging away with FREE support even on the old T/F Amiga based units! Find THAT anywhere else!

Before I have to get to use their support is the fact that VT[X] is very reliable anyway so I seldom have to call. When I do call it may take some waiting to get through but I am never hurried when I'm speaking to someone at tech support - in other words, NewTek Rocks! :thumbsup:

Ed

billmi
05-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Too true. My original VT card started acting up when it was 3 or 4 years old, and was replaced with no hassles, and I didn't even have to pay for the replacement to be shipped out. I can't think of any other manufacturer who still supports products as old as the original Video Toaster, let alone without charging through the nose for it.

Not to mention the upgrades to VT being affordable, and still being compatible with the original VT card.

vanderwielen
05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I've had 3 or 4 RS-8 failures. fortunately, we have two toasters and they repair and return them pronto. still, there's an issue with them. i programmed an xkeys box for an emergency.

jsanfilippo
05-11-2006, 08:00 PM
i programmed an xkeys box for an emergency.
Can you elaborate on this? What's an xkeys box, and how do you utilize it? This would be a good tip to share!

vanderwielen
05-12-2006, 06:49 AM
First, recognize that you can do everything using keyboard short cuts that you can with the RS-8. There's a section on it in your manual. a keyboard short cut is just a quick series of key strokes using ALT, CNTL with letters, numbers and such. XKEYS makes a custom key board you can program to send these keystrokes (xkeys.com). You can label the keys, program the sequence and achieve quick, useful commands.

It's actually what historically has been called a keyboard wedge. your current keyboard connects to the xkeys box and it connects to your computer. the PC thinks it's simply getting keyboard commands. In addition to selecting the program or preview source, i've programmed a key to stop the DDR, advance to the next selection in the DDRs playlist and start the DDR. This is for sports music 'walking out' of an inning. I've programmed about 50 useful keys.

Your imagination and needs are the only limitation.

PIZAZZ
05-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Keep in mind when using XKeys or secondary keyboard inputs.... The modules will have to see the keyboard inputs. The intended module will have to have focus. For instance if you have a person working on last minute CGs then you need to space bar to do an auto... well then you have to click on the switcher to bring that module in focus. Otherwise you just put more spaces in the CG. :)

There are ways around this. The RS8 talks directly to the switcher module so that is why we can setup a CG operator on the keyboard and mouse while someone else is using the RS8 to TD. A programmable keyboard interface like the XKeys can be programmed with direct keyboard shortcuts that access the switcher, DDR1,2,3 directly without pulling focus first. Look in the keyboard shortcuts for the switcher and use those labled as Dedicated. Most of them will start with APP+whatever, APP is the Application key on Windows compatible keyboards.

One other solution would be to use the MIDI input for VT, this will allow you to have a backup for your switcher and hands on control for your audio mixer.

We use the Behringer BCF2000 below and it works perfectly as a RS8 backup.
We programmed the sliders to control the most used Audio Mixer sliders. The Knobs across the top for Pre amp volumes and some EQs. The rows of buttons on the top are backup input buttons for Main Row 1-8 and Preview Row 1-8. The Bottom Right buttons are used for Auto, Take, Auto/DSK fadeon, Take/DSK on. $150 for the MIDI plugin from Youngmonkey and $200 for the Behringer BCF2000 unit. That is not bad for a RS8 backup and it gives you much more capabilities.

http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/BCF2000_medium.jpg

Randall Chesbro
05-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Also there is some game controllers that have programable keys on them. I'v used one called nostromo speedpad n52 from Belkin it has 14 keys on it and i programed it with the direct switcher keyboard comands and it works great and it cost around $40. its worth a look.
randyc

nevmoor
05-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Jef, you have to put a MIDI interface card in obviously. Which one do you suggest?? I like the beringer idea! It would make those volume changes easy to do

PIZAZZ
05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Jef, you have to put a MIDI interface card in obviously. Which one do you suggest?? I like the beringer idea! It would make those volume changes easy to do

We sell the Behringer BCF2000 controller for $199. We usually have them in stock. With ours you will be given the MIDI template we have and use. Like I mentioned before we also sell the Youngmonkey MIDI plugin for VT for $150. $349 for the complete setup and you are done.

The coolest thing........... You need NO additional midi card at all. The BCF connects through the magical USB port. :D

nevmoor
05-12-2006, 04:17 PM
:hey: Hhhhmmmmm..........

ScorpioProd
05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
We sell the Behringer BCF2000 controller for $199. We usually have them in stock. With ours you will be given the MIDI template we have and use. Like I mentioned before we also sell the Youngmonkey MIDI plugin for VT for $150. $349 for the complete setup and you are done.

The coolest thing........... You need NO additional midi card at all. The BCF connects through the magical USB port. :D

This is still just for live work, correct? There's no way to tie an audio surface to VT-Edit's audio controls yet, right?

jannearvidsson
05-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Is it possible to run two Behringer BCF2000 (to control 16 inputs).

PIZAZZ
05-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Is it possible to run two Behringer BCF2000 (to control 16 inputs).

Yes it is possible to run 2 Behringers to control 16 inputs. Or buy a larger MIDI control surface from Mackie, DIGIDesign, Tascam or similar. Any kind of midi control surface can work. You just have to assign the outputs of the midi unit to match up to the MIDI inputs on the MIDI_VT plugin.