PDA

View Full Version : bad quality of baked textures

pearlwaterdrops
05-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Hello.

These are screenshots of a rendered room and one with baked textures. I would like to get the baked textures to look like the rendered version. I will be using the room for a 3d walkthrough so the textures need to look perfect.

Rendered room: http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31548&stc=1&d=1147314187

Baked room: http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31549&stc=1&d=1147314284

This is how I did it:
- place all objects in one layer in modeler
- create an atlas UV map for all objects together
- send them to layout
- turn on radiosity
- apply texture baker to one of the surfaces
- render and bake
- remove baker after baking is done
- select all surfaces and remove textures
- with surfaces still selected apply the UV map created in modeler
- for image choose the baked image

The result I get is terrible.

Can anyone give me some suggestion why the baking turned out to be so bad?

Thanks a lot.

KATJA

newtekker04
05-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey,

This might be extremely obvious (and you may have already done this), but try bumping up the texture resolution to 1024 or even 2048. AntiAliasing should be checked as well as Shading Noise Reduction. Also, make sure you don't bake to an image format like JPEG; try something like tga, tiff, or psd.

If you've already done all this, sorry to rehash. I'm not sure what else can be done...:stumped:

zardoz
05-11-2006, 03:07 AM
another question...did you just created the Atlas UV by selecting it, or did you actually tweaked the Atlas? I mean did you give more area to the larger polys and more important ones? I know this seems simple but when you select atlas uv lightwave makes a big mess...it has to be teaked and optimized to use wisely the uv space

:thumbsup:

pearlwaterdrops
05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your replies, guys.

Newtekker04, I took your advice yesterday and tried to bake the room with a higher resolution - 2000, Antialiasing and Shadow noise was also selected. This morning I expexted some great result but instead the baking never occurred although I applied surface Baker to the UV map for the room created in Modeler. There was just a rendered image.

I noticed this happens often and I only get the rendering and the baking never takes place / or all surfaces turn completely black.

I follow the same steps: all objects on one layer, make a UV map, send to Layout, turn on Radiosity, apply Surface Baker to one of the surfaces, save image in .tga format and hit F9

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Katja

pearlwaterdrops
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Zardoz,

I copied all objects that are on separate layers into one layer, then I created a new UV map (Map type: atlas, Relative gap size: 0%, Segment by surface and Segment by part left unchecked).

As you can see in the baked image the arches look pretty bad, in fact the whole image looks rough, you can't even recognize the sunflower picture.
If you look at the picture with the UV map, the arches look fine, all polygons are there.

I am also concerned about the fact that all my surfaces are double sided, could that be causing some strange effect? Plus all surfaces are triagulated which means there is a huge number of them. Could that be causing the problem?

Thanks.

DonS
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
I sometimes have the problem you mention with the baking not occurring....haven't figured out the cause (likely something stupid that I'm missing) but sometimes I just try a fresh scene or apply Baker to a different surface and, after a few tries, I get it to work.

From your attached image, it appears the resolution for your baked image is set far too low. For example, if the full image you're using for the sunflower texture is 512x512 and your baked texture is 1024x1024, the sunflower is only going to be baked into a small portion of the overall baked texture...and what you'll end up with is exactly what you're seeing, namely very apparent pixelation. 2 solutions are (1), as Zardoz wrote, reapportion the UV map so that areas needing greater detail will be more appropriately accomodated...or (2) greatly increase the baked resolution. I typically use 4096x4096. Takes awhile to bake these large textures but the detail/resolution is worth it.

Hope this helps!

D.

toby
05-12-2006, 12:21 AM
I'll second that, the baked image is waaay too small. Imagine just 512 pixels spread out over all those walls. If you did 512 for each wall it might be enough. You don't have to bake a gigantic image, you can bake several small ones.

( So why was that screengrab so big but so low-res? )

pearlwaterdrops
05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
OK.

The thing is that if I increase the resolution (which makes sense if I want a good looking baked image) the baking process takes forever / or it just stays at 0% for hours. So, I don't even know if anything is happening at all. But I experimented with a simpler model and the results were great when I increased the resolution at 1500 or 2000.

Anyway, do you guys suggest making UV maps for all surfaces separately and make separate bakings to get high res images? I basically put all the walls etc on one layer, made one huge UV map and then baked the whole thing but maybe I should have done bakings for all surfaces separately?

Also to respond to posting about all surfaces turning black: yes, if you completely close the Layout and reload the objects from Modeler and reaply the surface Baker, basically give the whole process a fresh start in Layout it seems to work.

Thanks.

Katja

DonS
05-12-2006, 10:04 AM
If it just stays at 0% for hours, is LW frozen or can you abort the render and recover? If you can abort and recover, it could be that the bake is occurring but the render info window isn't updating to show the true percentage. If this is this case, you could try beginning the bake before you go to to bed and see if it's done in the morning. How long it takes, naturally, depends on the specs of your computer.

Sure you could use multiple maps and you may not need one for every surface. If some of your surfaces require some detail (ie. the sunflower) but others don't, you could make a few maps that contain just the high-detail areas (maybe one or two high-detail areas per map, depending on the resolution you decide to use) and then perhaps one single map for all the low-detail areas...like spaces that only use solid colors. For the project I'm currently doing, I've been using 3 UV maps per object; a 4k, a 2k and a 1k.

Good luck!

D.

erikals
05-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Strange stuff, all I can say is that in this (your) case multiple maps shouldn't be necessary, afaik. Would it be possible if you share the file so I can make a test?
Most likely there is nothing wrong, in your case you probably need at least 2048 resolution. I haven't baked all that much but it takes some time..

zardoz
06-26-2006, 06:39 AM
what is the resolution of the camera?

Dodgy
06-26-2006, 07:09 AM
What is the res of the flower wall image? That looks pretty high to me, almost 512 on it's own... If so, you're really going to struggle to bake out perfect textures in one map for everything at 1024, or even 2048.

I would make each wall section it's own surface and UV map, and bake each one to about 512x512 which should give better results.