PDA

View Full Version : VT(4) vs other live switching products

Benjee
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm currently putting together a production kit for use in Sports Stadiums around my fair country. After evaluating a few systems, I've narrowed it down to two, with the VT4 as a stand out so far, based on price point.
The other is the Broadcast Pix Studio 2000.

The only problem; I've never seen either of these in the flesh, so to speak.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these and whether they can offer any insights or observations.

All help appreciated!

Cheers,
Ben.

PIZAZZ
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm currently putting together a production kit for use in Sports Stadiums around my fair country. After evaluating a few systems, I've narrowed it down to two, with the VT4 as a stand out so far, based on price point.
The other is the Broadcast Pix Studio 2000.

The only problem; I've never seen either of these in the flesh, so to speak.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these and whether they can offer any insights or observations.

All help appreciated!

Cheers,
Ben.

I have some experience with both in a live situation. Hands down the VT offers more bang per buck. For the price of the Basic Broadcast Pix Studio you could almost buy 2 VT4s. Which is definitely the best choice if budget allows. Redundancy is many times overlooked when installing cost effective solutions like the VT.

I would be glad to give you a thorough demo on using the VT system live. All you need to do is fly me there. Next week is open for me if it is for you.

There are many variables to compare when you are deciding which route to go here. How about let's start with more info?

Is HD necessary or is SD fine for now?
How Many Cameras?
What kind of Cameras?
What is the Camera's cabling installed?
What kind of output is desired? DVI, HD, SDI, YUV, Composite, Y/C
Are you needing to do instant replays? If so how many?
Are you going to be doing IMAG?
How portable does the system need to be?
Is it going in a truck ? Trailer? MiniCooper?
How much post production editing do you want to do?
Would you like to use broadcast quality motion graphics for the overlays and intros?
Do you want to record to the hard drives at the same time you are recording to tape/dvd?
Do you anticipate needing to ever webstream?

That will get us started at least.

Benjee
05-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Very kind of you to offer to fly over here; it's good to know that you're an optimistic man ;-)

We're planning an SD system; mainly because we have to interface with so many old analogue systems at every venue that it makes the job harder to go digital. I am wanting some digital compatibility, so a couple of In's and Out's wouldn't go a miss. I'm backing whatever system we get with a synchronous 8x1 switcher for emergencies.

We're planning on getting 2 x GY-DV5101 Cams with an LinkXP (multiplexed wireless) system on the back. 20x lens's on each with doublers.
Full LCD monitor banks, together with whatever monitor options are needed for the system.

I have included 2 x Embeder/deembeders in an Avenue frame we already own, together with 5 x SD DA's and 2 x SDI DA's for future use.
Also using DV as the record format, to interface with the cameras for Field production.

I was looking for an instant replay, but it needs to be recorded while we're switching. Can the VT4 record a single source while being run as a switcher?

Not so much IMAG, but they'll inevitably do some awards ceremony sometime. the spec'd kit should dio the job with ease.

The kit will be flight cased, as it'll spend 5 months of the year flying city to city.

The post production side isn't a big, but it's a nice bonus to have in the system. For all I know it'll become a backbone resource once they've seen what it can do :-)

Graphics are important for us, and I do need to know how well the system handles keying, and what sort of overlay options I'd have live.
We'll be using mostly full frames and half frames, some keys.

Thanks for your heklp with this, and hope I gave you enough info for a decent opinion.
Cheers for the help! :-)