WilliamVaughan
05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
LW9 New Particle button :)
Particle Emitters: Save All Selected Motions

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php

Glad this made it to the interface!

Dodgy
05-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Useful. What if you want to go back and tweak the settings again? You'd have to add the emitters again? Or can you just save all emitters and then turn them off? So they're there for tweaking? I think I'd prefer a Save Selected motions to separate files (with the user providing a filename prefix) and a Clear Selected motions so you can choose which emitters to tweak...

WilliamVaughan
05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
You would save the scene with all the emitters...your assembly or rig scene.

This saves a PFX file...not settings....PFX files are baked motions for all the particles.

Dodgy
05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
I understand this. But if I understand correctly, you then have to replace the emitters with one, which you can use to play the combined emitter.pfx file. Then you have to go around the emitters and turn them all to 0 particle emitters (or clear them from the scene). Either way you lose their settings. You could save the scene with the settings and then save a new scene with the combined emitter, but if you change your scene and you want to re-calculate the emitters you have to re-import those old emitters and reparent them, re-set them all up, and all that faff.

Okay, you do one of those things. Then you make a change to your scene which requires you to tweak just one of the emitters' settings. You then have to clear the combined emitter from the scene and calculate ALL the emitters again and save them.

Okay, if you want to continually re-tweak, you could save each emitter manually, but this is kind of taking away from the point of being able to save multiple emitters (especially if you have a lot of emitters).

A far better solution is to be able to select the emitters YOU need to save, and be able to save them all at once as files for each emitter(which each keeps in it's interface), or select the emitters you need to recalculate and clear just their .pfx files and then recalculate them, and save their new pfx files, again as individual files.

I'm not saying this isn't needed, this would be really useful for taking a really complex effect and multiplying it many times, but a more common workflow might be the one I've outlined above.

WilliamVaughan
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM
You dont have to clear any of the emitters and you can apply the PFX fileto one of the emitters all ready in the scene. I choose to do it the way I showed as I dont make PFX files until I have the exact calculation I want.

I prefer to keep my scenes as simple as possible and having one emmitter that has all the calculations works for me. If I needf to adjust it at anytime I can go to the assembly scene and resave the PFX file.

Sorta like when I work witrh character rigs. I have an assembly scene for rigging and then I load that rig from that scene into the animation scenes.

It really just comes down to what work flow you or your studio likes to work with.

Dodgy
05-12-2006, 06:39 AM
I apologise, I forgot you could turn off the emitter plugins to stop the particles being emitted. You don't lose your settings and you don't get particles emitted :)

However, I would like to see the ability to save motions en masse as I've described for exactly the reasons I've described. I'll make it a feature request :)

monovich
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
I just used this feature for the first time, and it worked, but beware: I selected my emitters from the grap editor, then hit "p" then hit save all motions, but it only saved the motion for one emitter. After repeating these steps more or less exactly about 10 times, it finally saved all of the emitters. I ended up leaving the scene open because I liked the exact settings, then popping open another instance of Lightwave just and adding an emitter just to check and see if it was working or not.

I agree that a way to save all selected emitters to seperate files would be huge. It could use their layout name as their .pfx filename for simplicity's sake. Is this possible to implement?

One could be called "save all selected to merged", and one could be called "save all selected to multiple" - or something of the sort.

nemac4
01-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm missing the button. I've tried everything I can think of and still no button for save all selected motions. Anyone else having trouble or have any ideas?