PDA

View Full Version : Rendering large file fails...

svbell
05-10-2006, 05:32 AM
OK I'm done editing. I completed my new feature film, it runs for 1h84, and after 18 months of hard work it's now time to output the final uncompressed file. Now the problem I have is that when I render the whole thing from VTE, Uncompressed video, the process stops at 3 frames from completion. The system hangs, the 'in progress' yellow bar is full, and the timecode is only at three frames from the completion.

Any idea what can cause that? There is plenty of room on the hard drive so it's not a storage problem.

Plz help!!!!!

sv

JReble
05-10-2006, 07:29 AM
I've seen that in past versions on certain more complex projects. I'm sure someone else had an issue and maybe a cause that may chime in.

But for a solution, I would render large parts of my project rather than one big one, then render them together. If you're rendering to RTV there should be no impact to quality.

Jim Capillo
05-10-2006, 08:13 AM
What is happening at the three frame from completion mark ? Fade to black ? If so, how are you doing the fade ?

Seems I too remember an issue a while ago that did that, can't remember the cause or the solution though. I do have a black still that I drag out for my projects.... you might want to try that.

Does the last clip play OK by itself ?

If you are not fading to black, try trimming off those problem three frames and see what happens. Maybe you have a corrupted last clip.

Kevin_P
05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
I'd second the idea of changing the end time either by adding a few seconds of black(black.rtv in effects/patterns folder) after the fade or by trimming the fade/get rid of it. This issue has happened to me a few times and this seems to do the trick. It's frustrating because it's a real time waster!
Good Luck,
Kevin Petajan

svbell
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Guys, thanks for the tips!

At the end, it is a RTV file of a scrolling credit segment. So it's not really a fade to black, but as soon as all credits disappear up there, it's done. Nothing fancy at all.

I'll try to render the clips in 20 minutes segments instead of one large 84 minutes clip, and re-render them into one. I am using uncompressed AVI, not RTV, so I guess I should not waste anything in quality, right...? RTV are way larger than Uncomp. AVI if I recall well...?

sv

John Perkins
05-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I would suspect AVI to be larger, but I could be wrong.

The fact that you are having the error using AVI makes more sense actually. I've done RTV of that length without a problem.

Can you tell me the compression settings you are using so that I can render a similar clip of that length as a test?

Thanks,

svbell
05-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Well there is no settings that I know of to an uncompressed AVI. I'm using the BGR24 Uncompressed, and it has both audio and video.

Right now I broke the whole film in four segment,s and it worked OK so far. We'll see from there how VT will react when I'll assemble the four parts into a single one...!

sv

wvp
05-11-2006, 06:36 AM
I would have suggjested rendering the last minute or so of the clip & then render everything else as a first try.
hope you can get it to work!

John Perkins
05-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Well there is no settings that I know of to an uncompressed AVI. I'm using the BGR24 Uncompressed, and it has both audio and video.

sv

There are lots of variables if you are trying to duplicate the problem.

There are four different uncompressed AVI codecs on my system, resolution, framerate, audio codec and audio sample rate.

Sometimes one exact combination of these can cause a problem, so that's why we need to be so specific. Otherwise we might not see the problem.

(does anyone have a problem with how many times I said problem while trying to solve this problem?) ;)

ted
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
No Problem.:D
I actually prefer "issues". It's so much more friendly. :argue:

John Perkins
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
What is the other word for thesaurus? ;)