PDA

View Full Version : Making Skins

Jim Davis
05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Anyone out there have any tips on making skins. I seem to be having a hard time getting the different layers to match up. I have been using Aura and cutting them out using brushes . Problem is that sometimes I am off by a pixel.

What other software could I use that would be more exact or is there a way in Aura to repeat the brush cut exactly on all the layers ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated .

kltv
05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
I use Photoshop. I just group the on/off/over layers in sets. It makes it pretty easy to output the various layers.

Kris

PIZAZZ
05-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Same here we have always used Photoshop and it's layer support along with the Action memorization. Actions are way cool for adjusting current skins. For Example: I want to take the large Audio Mixer and compress it down horizontally to only 4 inputs and 4 outputs. We start with the first layer usually the On Layer. Start Recording an Action. Edit using masks and other fun until we are happy with the look. Stop recording Action. Switch to Off Layer. Run Action. Switch to RO layer. Run Action. Switch to Mask and Run Action. Sometimes the Mask layer is best to start with. All depends on the complexity of the skin.

Create 4 layers usually in Photoshop.

Layer 1 - On
Layer 2 - Off
Layer 3 - Roll Over
Layer 4 - Mask

Toggle off and on which one you need to edit.
This is the way the Skinmaster Kevin/Argon showed me btw.

Regarding Aura.... Well good luck with that. :)

billmi
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
That would just make it too easy Jef, thanks for sharing the tip. I've just onionskinned by making layers transparent to make things align properly.

Also, I put together a list which at this point has the mask colors used by the switcher - it is here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47168

If you're just re-organizing the switcher, it's faster to cut and paste or eyedropper, but hopefully folks working on other skins or scripts that use new mask colors will add to the list and there will eventually be a more complete documentation of mask colors.

John Perkins
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I have to throw in a vote for Fireworks.

I find it to be much easier to work with than Photoshop for skinning and I don't have any of the odd export problems that you can get with Photoshop.

(Don't ask what they were, I don't remember)