PDA

View Full Version : How to get higher area light shadow quality?

vincent1
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Greetings,

I'm using area lights with shadows on and GI off. Linear/Area light Quality is already set to 5 (LW maximum).

REndered the picture but the shadow quality is still quite grainy and dirty looking. How do I get higher settings or better area shadow quality?

Picture size is 1500pixels by 600pixels. See attached pic. Especially at the nose area and left thigh area next to the gun.

Captain Obvious
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
You need anti-aliasing as well. Preferably "enhanced" anti-aliasing.

Also, you can replace a large single area light with four smaller ones. This will increase the quality (and render time).

toby
05-09-2006, 11:38 PM
:agree:
The higher the anti-aliasing, the lower your quality setting can be. I've gotten away with a setting of 2 before, because it was rendered at enhanced extreme ( adaptive sampling off ).

Shading noise Reduction is another option, but it's one that I avoid if possible. It's not really fast, and it blurs the shadows in a way that's not accurate with the lighting.

Captain Obvious
05-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Seriously though, I can't really see any noise in this image. It might be the JPEG blurring removing it, I guess. Can you post a higher quality version? PNG is a good file format.

adrencg
05-10-2006, 07:45 AM
I agree with the 4 smaller lights theory...that's the way I do it. Just make sure to turn the intensity to a low value for each light. Also, playing with the size of the light can affect the shadow.

Some other things:

Render at double size and scale down.

Use Fprime. It'll render area lite shadows 20 times faster and they'll be better looking.

After Effects has a noise reducer filter which works pretty nicely.